Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Caleb Chumley

Brett Vito

I agree that if he got moved he could be a great TE. But with his size, quickness and lateral movement he looks like he could be an all conference DE in two years, if he had the desire to make the switch and learn the position.

The key qualifying statement in this situation. Again, did this young man EVER play defense in HS? Did he ever play a position where he was required to block on every down?

We do not need a 6'6" guy playing QB at this point. We are going to be set up for the next 3 years at QB with Dajon granted he isn't injury prone. If Caleb commits to TE and if he works hard he will shine at TE. If coaches told him they would give him a shot at QB to sign him, then give him a shot. But at the end of the day he will/or should be at TE. With Dajon at QB and with Caleb/Willie/Rex/Pegram/Jimmerson as his security check downs and Goree, Rutherfofrd, Kidsy, Harris, Davis etc. at WR and with a very experienced O-line, this offense can be dangerously good. I think if Caleb develops in the weight room and really commits to TE he has NFL potential written all over him. Tell me an NFL team that doesn't want to sign a TE at 6'6" potentially in 3 years a solid 250lb and runs a 4.65. And IMO, for what its worth, he doesn't need to be redshirted. Caleb needs to commit to TE early and get thrown into the fire as a true freshman. That's why he needs to early enroll in the summer and get in that weight room with Coach Frank. With the talent currently developing at North Texas and with the talent coming in, 31ppg will quickly grow into the norm at North Texas.

Again, did this young man EVER play defense in HS?

He barely played offense.

He started late in his junior year and then was hurt in the first game of his senior year, he only had 118 passing attempts in high school.

He is a true potential pick, but he is the type of athlete we don't often get and would be a great pickup for us.

We do not need a 6'6" guy playing QB at this point. We are going to be set up for the next 3 years at QB with Dajon granted he isn't injury prone. If Caleb commits to TE and if he works hard he will shine at TE. If coaches told him they would give him a shot at QB to sign him, then give him a shot. But at the end of the day he will/or should be at TE. With Dajon at QB and with Caleb/Willie/Rex/Pegram/Jimmerson as his security check downs and Goree, Rutherfofrd, Kidsy, Harris, Davis etc. at WR and with a very experienced O-line, this offense can be dangerously good. I think if Caleb develops in the weight room and really commits to TE he has NFL potential written all over him. Tell me an NFL team that doesn't want to sign a TE at 6'6" potentially in 3 years a solid 250lb and runs a 4.65. And IMO, for what its worth, he doesn't need to be redshirted. Caleb needs to commit to TE early and get thrown into the fire as a true freshman. That's why he needs to early enroll in the summer and get in that weight room with Coach Frank. With the talent currently developing at North Texas and with the talent coming in, 31ppg will quickly grow into the norm at North Texas.

Again, his commitment was likely conditional on him being given the chance to play qb. Happens all the time in recruiting and when kids want to be given the chance to play qb, they will often cross schools off their list who are not giving them that chance. Even if they are higher profile schools like Oregon State in this case and Mizzouri, at the time.

Of course he is more suited for tight end. But if he was set on playing tight end than he likely would've committed to Mizzouri or Oregon State a while back.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Again, his commitment was likely conditional on him being given the chance to play qb. Happens all the time in recruiting and when this kids who want to be given the chance to play qb, they will often cross schools off their list who are not giving them that chance. Even if they are higher profile schools like Oregon State in this case and Mizzouri, at the time.

Of course he is more suited for tight end. But if he was set on playing tight end than he likely would've committed to Mizzouri or Oregon State a while back.

Exactly. Under Dickey, we got a commit from Woody Wilson, who was a big-time commit, had been an Arkansas commit--as an "athlete." But Dickey offered him the chance to play QB. When Dodge came in, he wanted to move Woody to another position, so Woody bailed.

Personally, I like Chumley a lot better at TE. I don't see him ever doing more than providing depth or coming in for short-yardage situations at QB, whereas he could be a monster at TE, WR, or even DE.

• Upvote 1

The key qualifying statement in this situation. Again, did this young man EVER play defense in HS? Did he ever play a position where he was required to block on every down?

No, but we have legitimate D1 coaches who can teach this kid and get his technique down at either position. Marcus Smith was a wide receiver in high school but the coaches have worked with him and his blocking has made tremendous strides in just a few years, including one in which he missed about 2/3 of the year due to injury.

If he played tight end he would likely not be asked much as far as blocking, at least early on. But he has the size and athleticism to get up to the second and third level and be a guy who could help lay a block downfield that could spring run plays for long gains. Also has the size to block defensive ends or at least help a tackle get the end while he combos up to the next level, but that is what would take the most time. I think we'll see more of that "6th offensive lineman" type role at tight end from Wylie Reinhardt in the upcoming years, a la Andrew Power.

We wouldn't need that from him from him right away, but if he could progress similar to the way Marcus has then that would be a major success and this guy could be a weapon in the run and the pass game.

Edited by BillySee58

Wow...I don't know much about Mr. Chumley, but if this young man has the talent to play QB even if he has to red shirt to get experience. What NFL team wouldn't want a 6'6" QB that's 250 lbs. with speed. Maybe not .0450, but fast enough to dodge pass rush. You can tell this guy is at least looking out for his future. How much do TE's or other skilled position players in the NFL make comparied to QB's? Glad this man has committed to UNT. Times are a change in the Mean Green Nation!!! If he can win QB job more power to him. How hard is it to bring down a 6'6", 250 Ib QB in the backfield?

Dajon Williams is the future of North Texas at QB. I would be very surprsied if in 3 years he isn't a 3 year starter. He is that good in raw talent alone. Match it with good play calling and the right tools around him (6'6" 250lb TE just to name one) he can take North Texas places never seen before.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dajon Williams is the future of North Texas at QB. I would be very surprsied if in 3 years he isn't a 3 year starter. He is that good in raw talent alone. Match it with good play calling and the right tools around him (6'6" 250lb TE just to name one) he can take North Texas places never seen before.

The quarterbacks on our roster have a combined 63 division I college throws between them. Might want to tap the breaks on anointing a program savior...especially one who has less than 10% of that already paltry number of throws. Everyone is excited about what DW might bring, but we're all also forming this excitement around 6 garbage time pass attempts. The more competition he...or whoever ends up starting...receives in Spring and Fall the better.

• Upvote 5

The quarterbacks on our roster have a combined 63 division I college throws between them. Might want to tap the breaks on anointing a program savior...especially one who has less than 10% of that already paltry number of throws. Everyone is excited about what DW might bring, but we're all also forming this excitement around 6 garbage time pass attempts. The more competition he...or whoever ends up starting...receives in Spring and Fall the better.

Also noticing that Dajon's workout reports are less than stellar.... especially in the motivation department. If you think that this type of stuff doesn't factor into who gets to chunk the rock next year you are naive. Being called out for "not having a warrior mindset" and not playing well in the cold troubles me.

Wow...I don't know much about Mr. Chumley, but if this young man has the talent to play QB even if he has to red shirt to get experience. What NFL team wouldn't want a 6'6" QB that's 250 lbs. with speed. Maybe not .0450, but fast enough to dodge pass rush. You can tell this guy is at least looking out for his future. How much do TE's or other skilled position players in the NFL make comparied to QB's? Glad this man has committed to UNT. Times are a change in the Mean Green Nation!!! If he can win QB job more power to him. How hard is it to bring down a 6'6", 250 Ib QB in the backfield?

True, I would think quarterbacks make more, but I would also think a dependable, highly talented TE with size, speed, and great hands are just as much, if not more coveted than a QB. How many Jason Wittens or Tony Gonzalezes are there out there?

Just food for thought.

I'm not appointing anyone the starting QB. That is obviously for Coach Mac and Coach Canales. But what Dajon brings to the table is unmatched by the other QB's on the roster. If DW doesn't win the job I am sure it will be for good reason. But if Coaches decide to put the offense on his shoulders with the playmakers that will/should be around him then watch out. All I am saying is a fellow 6'6" is a very nice security blanket for a first time starter at QB, especially one with decent hands.

• Upvote 1

To add to that, coaches can't coach size. 6'6" 240 with agility, speed, and hands needs to see playing time regardless of age. Granted it's earned in practice. It might not be what Caleb wants, but sometimes you simply don't get what you want. If he wants to immediate contribute and potentially play at the next level he'll change positions. If not then he will transfer to who gives a S university and will fall off the map. Just being realistic here. Not trying to be negative or patronizing, just realistic.

• Upvote 2

I'm not appointing anyone the starting QB. That is obviously for Coach Mac and Coach Canales. But what Brock brings to the table is unmatched by the other QB's on the roster. If BB doesn't win the job I am sure it will be for good reason. But if Coaches decide to put the offense on his shoulders with the playmakers that will/should be around him then watch out.

To be honest, if you turn the clock back one year, this is how your post could easily read with just slight modification. I too want Dajon to take the reins (badly) but there's a lot of time and football between now and then.

• Upvote 1

My thoughts exactly. I sure hope he's the next RG3, but I can't say I'm totally convinced that his winning the starting job is a given. I guess I just need to see more evidence to overcome the fact that we were his only FBS offer.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think he has verbally committed, but there is something holding up an official announcement of it. Maybe his grades, maybe UNT is trying to see if they can land Inoke and Xavier and offer Caleb a spot as a preferred walk-on. Don't take what I am saying to heart, I am just speculating. No idea.

Yeah, I think he has verbally committed, but there is something holding up an official announcement of it. Maybe his grades, maybe UNT is trying to see if they can land Inoke and Xavier and offer Caleb a spot as a preferred walk-on. Don't take what I am saying to heart, I am just speculating. No idea.

This kid wouldn't be walking on. He would grayshirt, or someone else would grayshirt to make room. Maybe grades, but that didn't sound like the problem according to Vito. Sounded like an issue of room in the class.

Man, I hate this argument. Has anyone else but me noticed how many D1 schools, especially P5 ones, have been starting freshman at skill positions the last two years and it working out spectacularly??

• Upvote 1