Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Caleb Chumley

Brett Vito

..."After picking up a little more information, it looks like UNT has a ways to go before finalizing adding Caelb Chumley, a quarterback/athlete from Longview Spring Hill...."

He meant Longview Pine Tree.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Nope.

He's been offered at some point or another by nine schools, but this late in the game, I bet some of those are no longer on the table because classes have filled. I never begrudge an athlete for taking all the time allowed to make a decision, but often, the longer you wait, the fewer options you end up having, as counterintuitive as that may seem.

Unless of course you're Leonard Fournette or Myles Garrett or something.

• Upvote 1

Nope.

He's been offered at some point or another by nine schools, but this late in the game, I bet some of those are no longer on the table because classes have filled. I never begrudge an athlete for taking all the time allowed to make a decision, but often, the longer you wait, the fewer options you end up having, as counterintuitive as that may seem.

Unless of course you're Leonard Fournette or Myles Garrett or something.

Another reason why we need an early signing period

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another reason why we need an early signing period

Yep. It's good for athletes so schools will get their offers in quickly if they're really truly interested, and it's good for schools so they aren't spending time and travel money trying to recruit a guy if he already got the offer from his dream college.

I believe that they want him but will now either have to talk someone into grayshirting or pull their offer.

In my opinion, some of our early commitments have issues most years. Perhaps an early signing period would make us look very carefully and only sign those who we regard as can't miss in the early period then consider those with issues such as size, speed, injuries, etc.

Caleb will not play QB at the FBS D1 level. Not gonna happen. He has soft hands, lengthy stride which makes him deceivingly fast, and he's 6'6" 240lb!! Prototypical size for a TE. A year in the strength and conditioning program will chisel this guy out and make him a stud. I say get him enrolled early in the summer and try to prep him for PT as a true freshman. A first time starting QB needs a 6'6' 240lb target to throw to on sit down routes and check downs. I like what Chumley has to offer as a potential DE as well. If TE doesn't pan out for him his rangy arms and athleticism could make him a threat as a pass rushing DE. He is also a viable option for when or if North Texas wants to run a trick play or 2. He's a versatile guy that IMO will shine brightest at TE. GMG

• Upvote 2

Caleb will not play QB at the FBS D1 level. Not gonna happen. He has soft hands, lengthy stride which makes him deceivingly fast, and he's 6'6" 240lb!! Prototypical size for a TE. A year in the strength and conditioning program will chisel this guy out and make him a stud. I say get him enrolled early in the summer and try to prep him for PT as a true freshman. A first time starting QB needs a 6'6' 240lb target to throw to on sit down routes and check downs. I like what Chumley has to offer as a potential DE as well. If TE doesn't pan out for him his rangy arms and athleticism could make him a threat as a pass rushing DE. He is also a viable option for when or if North Texas wants to run a trick play or 2. He's a versatile guy that IMO will shine brightest at TE. GMG

I don't understand why he would have to be a TE. If he was fast enough to play QB in HS, then why not WR?

Also, did he play any defense in HS?

Edited by SilverEagle

I don't understand why he would have to be a TE. If he was fast enough to play QB in HS, then why not WR?

Not a WR because we are already bringing in 4 stud wide receivers this class (2 outside receivers and 2 inside receivers) and Chumley weighs 240 lbs. Matchup nightmare potentially if he continues to work on his speed and route running. He is a very natural pass catcher which is often overlooked.

Replying to Ben, can't say I know for a fact but it seems as though the coaches offered him a chance to play qb in order to give us a better chance of landing him. No loss in letting him try qb, and if the coaches can develop him then he could be a special one there for us. If not he would likely redshirt anyways, and he can be moved to tight end then. Possibly defensive end but tight end is a little more likely.

Because of his height/size. A guy that big can be a nice blocker as well.

Plus, I think most can agree that a great TE can be the most explosive playmaker in an entire offense (Gronkowski/Graham).

• Upvote 1

For some reason I really want this kid to happen for us. Fingers crossed