Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Caleb Chumley

Brett Vito

As a passer he needs a lot of work on his footwork. He fades away from his throw too often, and sometime steps laterally when throwing towards the sidelines rather than towards the receiver. When he steps into his throws he has a rocket (what you would expect from a guy that big). Arm strength is definitely there. He does not have an ideal release (sort of long) but his footwork is what will be focused on. He can also change the arms slots from which he throws out of. Throwing from the side a little bit is not nearly as big an issue for a 6'5" guy as it would be for 6' even guys.

As a receiver he can make a play on the ball and is a long strider. May not look like the fastest guy, but he's covering large chunks of ground fast on those strides. He's a very natural pass catcher. Not sure how he will be in the trenches either blocking or playing defensive end like some on this board have envisioned him doing at some point. Definitely the type of athlete D1 coaches and strength coaches love to be able to mold. There's a reason he had so much interest from big colleges and was rated so highly.

• Upvote 3

This guy is 6-6, 240 and has good wheels as evidenced by his video. He is the leading scorer on his basketball team. The only thing that put him behind was his foot injury from his senior season. He has tremendous upside!! Prospects like that just don't grow on trees! Really pleased to see us land a player of his caliber and this entire class is outstanding. Kudos to the UNT coaching staff. They have done a tremendous job. I think we will look back at this class as being truly special and the one that help elevate us to a higher level.

Thanks, Harry. Reminds me vaguely of Vince Young. Wonder how it will be with some work on technique, good coaching and a year or two on a conditioning program?

Whoa are you talking about old Vince or high school Vince? That's some pretty high praise. He isn't quite that dynamic as Vince was coming out of high school.

• Upvote 1

Whoa are you talking about old Vince or high school Vince? That's some pretty high praise. He isn't quite that dynamic as Vince was coming out of high school.

Actually I agree with Island he looks like VY... the foot injury set him back in the eyes of recruiters but go look at the recruiting sites -- he had the Oregon staff come in and visit and evaluate him. They just don't visit anyone... here's an excerpt of the ETSN.com article (a very good write up if you haven't read it check it out):

Pine Tree coach Derek Fitzhenry said Osborne told him that he made the trip to Texas specifically to see Chumley and learn more about his abilities. Oregon is looking at Chumley at quarterback and receiver.

Fitzhenry said the Ducks like Chumley.

“They’re really impressed with his speed. They really have liked the way he runs and the fact that he’s such a big, tall, rangy athlete,” Fitzhenry said. “They like the fact that he can run, and they like the way he throws.

“(Osborne) said, ‘We don’t go see many guys. We’re very selective about who we go to see.’ They’re looking for guys to win them a national championship, not just signing guys. They don’t just sign guys. They’re gonna be honest with him and say, ‘This is what we would be bringing you in for.’ If he changes (positions), he changes, but they’re gonna be honest what they’re looking at.”

Read More: Oregon Visits Pine Tree to Check Out Quarterback Caleb Chumley | ETSN.fm - East Texas Sports Network | http://etsn.fm/oregon-visits-pine-tree-to-check-out-quarterback-caleb-chumley/?trackback=tsmclip

Man, Mac really sucks at this thing called recruiting. :goodone:

Welcome to the Mean Green family Caleb. You made a great decision.

Worst UNT recruiter since College Hall of Famer Hayden Fry was in Denton, UNTLifer? :lol2:

Best part of all this is that Mr. Caleb will not get duped by Coach Mac and his staff...He will get a shot at QB and who knows what happens from that, right?

All that is happening in Mean Green Country makes me wish I were in my 30's all over again.

GMG!

I have to assume that he meant that he has the same size as Vince Young... outside of that I'm not sure... remember as a Fresh/Soph, Young was a pretty terrible passer and really developed later in his career at UT...

who else does he have offers from?

Lots of proving the naysayers wrong going on here within this class. Looks to me like Coach Mac is delivering on those promises to bring UNT back from the "dark ages".

Congrats to young Mr. Caleb Chumley for making a great choice on where he wants to continue his playing career and get a quality education. Smart kid...well done Mac and company.

• Upvote 1

This guy is 6-6, 240 and has good wheels as evidenced by his video. He is the leading scorer on his basketball team. The only thing that put him behind was his foot injury from his senior season. He has tremendous upside!! Prospects like that just don't grow on trees!

Next Randy Moss?

I love this class and how they are encouraging other recruits to join them.

Thanks, Harry. Reminds me vaguely of Vince Young. Wonder how it will be with some work on technique, good coaching and a year or two on a conditioning program?

That's exactly what I was thinking! Let's hope he has his stuff together off the field more than Vince did.

Very impressive with offers from Oregon State and Mizzou. Those coaches have groomed some very nice college QBs.