DRC..NT player charged another involved

OldTimer

Mean Green player charged

Center allegedly took part in fight; police question two players in separate incident

07:01 AM CDT on Friday, October 3, 2003

By Donna Fielder and Brett Vito / Staff Writers

Two recent incidents involving University of North Texas football players have resulted in two police investigations and charges against one team member.

UNT coach Darrell Dickey and police say they don’t see real problems with the team and look at the two reports as isolated incidents.

The incidents took place at private after-game parties during the past three weeks. Police say they won’t file charges against two players involved in one of the incidents, in which a man standing in the back of a player’s truck fired several shots.

The man who fired the shots is not affiliated with the team.

The second incident involved a fight at a party. Junior center Andy Brewster surrendered to police on a charge of Class A misdemeanor assault Wednesday and was released on a personal recognizance bond.

"I don’t think they’re related," said Detective Sgt. Roger White. "I’m sure there was alcohol involved. But we see reports like these all the time. I don’t think it shows we have a problem with the football team. In both instances, they turned themselves in, and they and the university have cooperated fully."

Mr. Dickey said the team investigates any incidents involving players on a case-by-case basis.

"I look at them as two isolated incidents," Mr. Dickey said. "Our policy is to look at each individual situation. I don’t think we have an ongoing problem."

Mr. Dickey said any disciplinary action would be taken once all the facts regarding the incidents are known.

The shooting incident happened about 3:30 a.m. Sunday after Saturday’s 44-23 win over Louisiana-Lafayette.

According to a Denton police report, officers responded to a complaint of a loud party at the Cantina del Sol restaurant in the 400 block of South Elm Street.

There were about 100 people in the parking lot, and the music was loud, according to an officer. He went from vehicle to vehicle, asking people to turn down the music and leave.

An officer heard a gunshot and looked up to see a man standing in the back of a pickup pointing a gun in his direction, the officer reported. The man pointed the gun upward and fired several more shots. Then the truck sped away.

Officers chased the truck for several blocks, and the driver eventually turned around and started back to the scene, the sergeant said.

The truck stopped, but the man with the gun was no longer in the back. Police approached the truck with their pistols drawn and told the driver to step out. The driver laughed and said he was a UNT quarterback and he had done nothing wrong, according to the report. But he got out of the truck when the officer asked again.

The driver was identified as UNT quarterback Andrew Smith. The passenger was identified as Charles Dupree, who signed with UNT and practices with the team but has not played for academic reasons. They told police they knew the man in the back of the truck only by his first name and had not known he had a weapon.

"We have no indication that they [smith and Dupree] had any kind of criminal culpability at all," Sgt. White said. "Smith said he didn’t know the shots were fired from the back of his truck, and when he heard the shots, his first instinct was to get out of there."

Detective David Stewart investigated the incident and identified the suspected man in the back of the truck.

Dominick Thomasis Williams surrendered Wednesday to Denton police on a Class A misdemeanor charge of deadly conduct and is free on $500 bail.

The second incident happened about 3:30 a.m. Sept. 14 after UNT’s loss to the Air Force Academy.

According to a police report, a UNT student brought his girlfriend, a teaching assistant at the university, to a party at a house in the 1400 block of Sandy Creek Drive. Another woman at the party complained that the teaching assistant gave her a D. The teaching assistant and her boyfriend decided to leave.

Another male guest called the teaching assistant a profane name, according to the police report. The boyfriend of the teaching assistant became angry, and the male guest then hit the boyfriend once in the face with his fist, the victim reported.

Detective Stewart also investigated this incident, which resulted in a warrant to arrest Mr. Brewster, who police say is the man who threw the punch.

Mr. Smith and Mr. Brewster declined to comment on the incidents.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What idiot climbs in the back of someone's truck and fires off shots with an officer nearby? A drunk one I guess.

I don't know what I would do in Andrew's situation there. A guy you don't know in your truck firing shots. It's not like you can go back there and pull an Andy Brewster on him.

Coach Dickey won't put up with any crap from anybody. When Cougar McBride was involved in an assault, he was gone from the team and off scholarship real quickly. Dickey also sat a player down for one season as disciplinary action. If a player brings dishonor to the university and/or team it will be dealt with. He is fair, but firm, when it comes to this kind of thing.

Guest JohnDenver

You should give him a pass. He didn't do anything.

If he were drunk and driving, the cop would have arrested him. If he really did have something to do with the guy in the back shooting, the cops would have charged him with aiding the person.

He didn't do anything besides being out late and loud. I wish I were still in college so I can justify staying out will 3:30 am wink.gif

Good points John Denver. If Smith had anything to do with the guy shooting the gun, the police would have arrested him in a second.

My comments above were about the "assuaut" at the party. A guy calls your girlfriend a profane name and conftronts you? He deserves whatever he gets, sounds like he was the instigator. And it also sounds like there were some mitigating factors here. Apparently the UNT player restrained himself, afterall he was trying to leave the party and he only hit the guy once.

If you asked me sounds like the jerk deserved it.  Whatever happend to the days when if you became drunk and obnoxious at a party,  you'd get your ass beat,  take you asskicking like a man and go home.

When did we have to get the police involved in EVERYTHING

Unless I'm reading it wrong Brewster was the one being a jerk by insulting this guys girlfriend. The fact that the boyfriend got mad is understandable. Of course, though, I wasn't there.

An officer heard a gunshot and looked up to see a man standing in the back of a pickup pointing a gun in his direction, the officer reported. The man pointed the gun upward and fired several more shots. Then the truck sped away.

Officers chased the truck for several blocks, and the driver eventually turned around and started back to the scene, the sergeant said.

The truck stopped, but the man with the gun was no longer in the back. Police approached the truck with their pistols drawn and told the driver to step out. The driver laughed and said he was a UNT quarterback and he had done nothing wrong, according to the report. But he got out of the truck when the officer asked again.

The driver was identified as UNT quarterback Andrew Smith. The passenger was identified as Charles Dupree, who signed with UNT and practices with the team but has not played for academic reasons. They told police they knew the man in the back of the truck only by his first name and had not known he had a weapon.

"We have no indication that they [smith and Dupree] had any kind of criminal culpability at all," Sgt. White said. "Smith said he didn’t know the shots were fired from the back of his truck, and when he heard the shots, his first instinct was to get out of there."

Ok, well here's my problem with this whole incident.... If this report is accurate, and we will assume it is, I do not blame Drew for speeding away. If I heard gunshots, I'd be outta there too! But, you have to wonder how well they know the guy and whether they really knew if he had a gun or not?

Now, to the real issue I have here. Police chase him and he does not pull over? Like Rick said; How far do you have to drive at night to notice flashing lights and sirens? huh.gif

They then walk up to him and he announces he is a UNT QB and did nothing wrong? That leads me to believe he has a BIG ego and possibly some issues with authority. When I'm pulled over, I don't announce that I have friends in high places in the DPD and have done nothing wrong! It just shows an attitude I do not like!

And then there's Dupree..... So Drew is hanging out with a guy who can't even make his grades to play a game on a level that most only dream of? I think that speaks for itself.....

But like I said before, I'll throw all involved a pass for now as I have not heard of any other problems. However, any more transgressions will show the true character of Drew or Dupree.

QUOTE (Baby Arm! @ Oct 3 2003, 06:43 AM)

If you asked me sounds like the jerk deserved it. Whatever happend to the days when if you became drunk and obnoxious at a party, you'd get your ass beat, take you asskicking like a man and go home.

When did we have to get the police involved in EVERYTHING 

Unless I'm reading it wrong Brewster was the one being a jerk by insulting this guys girlfriend. The fact that the boyfriend got mad is understandable. Of course, though, I wasn't there.

MGT, you are reading this correctly and Brewster is the thug in this incident. Again, if these are the facts, than Brewster needs to be disciplined!

And then there's Dupree..... So Drew is hanging out with a guy who can't even make his grades to play a game on a level that most only dream of?  I think that speaks for itself.....

Grade Problems! ohmy.gif

We might as well kick off Buckles and make sure Lineberry and Ruff never suit up then. They speak for themselves after all... rolleyes.gif

MGT, you are reading this correctly and Brewster is the thug in this incident. Again, if these are the facts, than Brewster needs to be disciplined!

Lets remember this is one persons story, the story circulating earlier said that the punchee arrived to the party uninvited and then refused to leave and become argumentive and insulting. Thats going to get you punched 90% of the time. Lets wait till the police figure it all out before we pass judgement.

Dickey has no problem suspending or kicking players off the team, if there is a problem here, he'll take care of it.

Look I know that grades are often an issue with athletes. We all know that certain things go on behind closed doors to keep some player's eligibility. That is why it is pathetic when an athlete's grades are so bad that they can not play.

I may be wrong on this but I want Dupree to be hanging out with the football team. Maybe he'll realise what he's missing and get his grades in order.

Would you have said the same thing about Buckles? Somewhat similar circumstances in that both needed to shore up their studies before they could play.

The rest I don't know. Brewster just needs to be told to cool it and realise he gets watched more than the regular college student. I can only hope that Smith didn't know the guy had a gun.

I agree with Cerebus, grade problems are just that..........grade problems. That doesn't mean that they are likely to be criminals too. I can't stand to see stuff like this happens and I really hope this is the last I hear about these type of incidents.

I may be wrong on this but I want Dupree to be hanging out with the football team. Maybe he'll realise what he's missing and get his grades in order.

Oh I agree that Dupree should be hanging out with the football team 100%!

But, when you run into incidents like this it just throws his character into question.

Look, I said I was throwing a pass to all involved so don't get all riled up.

I just tend to analyze these things in a legal and psychological manner.

Patterns are what you use to determine someone's character and you have to wonder about a guy who has problems with grades and then gets involved in a shooting incident at 3:30 AM.

Maybe it is just coincidence, maybe not..... Hence the free pass!

I will say this.... If I were DD, I'd discipline Brewster and tell Dupree and Drew that any other "incidents" will result in disciplinary actions.

Look I know that grades are often an issue with athletes. We all know that certain things go on behind closed doors to keep some player's eligibility. That is why it is pathetic when an athlete's grades are so bad that they can not play.

North Texas athletes go to class like everyone else. I'ver had several athletes in my class, most of them have done better than I did smile.gif

Before we get all judgemental, lets remember these people are young adults, and are going to have some lapses in judgement, lets compare thse "offenses" to a young Cerebus... let's say, Cerebus at 22:

1) Blew of a class or two *cough*or a whole semester*cough* Check!

2) Drank too much and got a little punchy Check!

3) Out way too late, and some of the people there probably where not model citizens Check!

Now, of course every single athlete is representing the University, and needs to be smart about everything and take care of thier commitments. But as long as these are simple slip ups, and not indicative of some deeper problem, let the coach handle them.

Guest JohnDenver

You are pretty high and mighty.

I don't give a rats ass about Dupree not making the grades to play. Smith can be friends with whomever he pleases. I have some underacheiving friends, and I would hate to think that my boss would fire me because I like to see drink with them on the weekends. Or hell, can my boss really judge me because my friends didn't make the grades to be engineers like me!? Until Smith hangs out with convicts and is caught with a balloon of crank stuck up his rear, he deserves the assumption that he is a good guy.

If he really had a problem with authority and some ego issues .. would he really be at UNT? I think he would have already strangled DD for his indecision and told everyone within earshot about how unhappy he is and he needs to be on the field against ULALA.

And the word "chase" is very subjective. Was a high speed chase? And can a chase really be a chase if he only drove around 2 blocks away? I was taught in defensive driving (don't judge me that I got a ticket) that if you are in a situation with police that you don't feel comfortable, drive to a well populated area with lights. I can't think of a better place to turn around and go to (when you see the lights coming up on you) than the well-lighted, well-populated parking lot that you just came from.

And the report of the person pointing the gun at the cops ... I know the Dallas PD would have shot anyone who pointed a gun in their general directions. If that person lucked out and didn't get shot, he would have had more serious charges than a misdemeanor. So did the guy really point the gun at the cop? In my head those two things don't jibe. Why would I trust this cops ego (to inflate the story) and believe that Smith tried to pull the power play that he is the UNT QB?

As far as you saying you woudn't announce that you had friends in high places. If *I* had a gun pointed in my face, I would tell the cop ANYTHING to let them know that I am a respectable person and not to shoot me. I didnt' do anything. Whether I had to tell them that I had a kid at home, pregnant wife, I know so-and-so on the force, I volunteer as a Big Brother, I adopted 11.5 kitties from the shelter, I sleep with the lights on, I snuggle with a Carebear at night ... I would say anything that makes the cop see that I am not the threat and he can remove the gun from my temple.