Tulsa (2/1/14)

CMJ

Hadn't seen the score. Watched some of this on C-USA all acess now. It was ok for the first 5 mins or so, but then parts of the the team visibly stopped believing. Couldn't get myself to watch all of it.

This is purgatory. Too good to fire the coach, too bad to have any hope.

After UAB I was wondering whether this team was good after all or whether this had just been the kind of schizzophrenixc win mediocre teams sometimes get. Clear which way I am leaning again. Also UAB also just managed to lose to ECU. This UNT team is just about the 10th to 12 th best team in the league. ouch.

Is it softball season yet?

You remember how on the Fintstones, when they'd go driving, the background would repeat over and over and over again, passing the same buildings and houses? That's kinda what every basketball game thread is like between the players and coaching staff. Or, perhaps more relevant, Waldorf and Statler from the Muppet Show, "Why do we always come here, I guess we'll never know. It's kind of like a nightmare to have to watch the show."

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, last year took all the fun out of it for me a least for a little while. I had to remove myself for my own sanity. I know it's weak, but we all have our issues. I have been to two games this year and what I saw compared to last year was actually a better team, giving more effort, but very poorly put together. It's like the opposite of last years team. Last year we had no guard play and everything went inside, this year is the opposite.

I'll give credit to the staff for making the team better this year besides what I would opine is a more unbalanced roster than last year. They have gotten them to play better within the system. However, the team isn't very good and poses no threat to win the tourney. My conclusion, our rookie coach is a doing better learning how to lead, but we are paying for it.

As for the blame argument. Well of course players deserve blame when they don't give hustle or do what they are supposed to do on a certain play etc. But, that is a micro view. When Duke loses a game you might be able to blame it on a few plays here and there where the players didn't do what they were supposed to do. The problem with that argument is it is the coaches job to build it, lead it and make it work. He hasn't gotten enough guys to do things that can win games. Blaming the players for the record or the mess we have is wrong.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 4

You remember how on the Fintstones, when they'd go driving, the background would repeat over and over and over again, passing the same buildings and houses? That's kinda what every basketball game thread is like between the players and coaching staff. Or, perhaps more relevant, Waldorf and Statler from the Muppet Show, "Why do we always come here, I guess we'll never know. It's kind of like a nightmare to have to watch the show."

Ya, but many of the players have changed. Coaching? Not so much.

• Upvote 1

Ya, but many of the players have changed. Coaching? Not so much.

What confuses me most is that the only game I've seen in the past year was the home game against UAB, and honestly, the team looked great. They really operated as a cohesive unit. Having not seen any other games, I'm kinda confused why they can't consistently do that.

Because of coaching, the lack of student interest, player inconsistencies, etc. bring in another coach and change the mentality. North Texas' basketball program is on the brink total destruction. We have like 11 wins of which half were against non-D1 schools. A couple years ago or even last year the football program was struggling. The difference was that we saw the development, player belief, recruiting improvements. We saw the the potential getting ready to take off. It's about the exact opposite with the basketball program right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because of coaching, the lack of student interest, player inconsistencies, etc. bring in another coach and change the mentality. North Texas' basketball program is on the brink total destruction. We have like 11 wins of which half were against non-D1 schools. A couple years ago or even last year the football program was struggling. The difference was that we saw the development, player belief, recruiting improvements. We saw the the potential getting ready to take off. It's about the exact opposite with the basketball program right now.

I see a lot of improvement and we only beat three division 2 or lower schools. Might want to check your math in three being half of eleven. 11 wins is disappointing but now people are just making things up and trying to stretch for any excuse to jump on board with people against Benford. We also have some nice recruits coming in as well. Not the best in the world but for our record I think they are a steal. At least pay attention or go to a game before you want to jump on board with bashing Benford. I'm fine 90 and others having that opinion and at least believe they have a reason. I am becoming more disappointed as well. However I will ride out the year for the players and staffs sake. Going forward I know the players would want him back I guess it will just be a few fans who might hold his fate idk...

Edited by Andrew

So it's a lot of different players fault this year that weren't even here last year, when it was also the players fault that are not here this year?

Will it be the players fault in year 3 of the Benford era?

Year 4?

Stupid players.

So tired of the "it's the players fault" excuse. I mean if that is the case why would you ever fire a coach?

• Upvote 2

So tired of the "it's the players fault" excuse. I mean if that is the case why would you ever fire a coach?

A lot of coaches get fied because of angry alumni and other issues with the players themselves. Yes you need a solid coach however he cannot perform on the court. It will always be a mix of both. Either way there are still games left and unless we just blow all of them I think Benford will be back for one more year because of all the seniors we have next year. You do not want to bring in a new coach with a lot of seniors in my opinion. Let them finish it together before a change is made.

• Downvote 1

Andrew is to Benford as half the fan base was to Dodge. Blindly and unwaveringly allegiant. No matter what happens, 200 point losses to D2 schools, boycotts from DISD students, capital crimes committed with players and coaches in cahoots, doesn't matter. I mean, I don't understand it, but there's a part of me that almost has to admire it. No fair weather nonsense for him.

*Not meant to imply that there have been or will be 200 point losses to D2 schools, boycotts from DISD students, or capital crimes committed with players and coaches in cahoots. But Craig James most certainly did kill five hookers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A lot of coaches get fied because of angry alumni and other issues with the players themselves. Yes you need a solid coach however he cannot perform on the court. It will always be a mix of both. Either way there are still games left and unless we just blow all of them I think Benford will be back for one more year because of all the seniors we have next year. You do not want to bring in a new coach with a lot of seniors in my opinion. Let them finish it together before a change is made.

This bit is bound to die at some point, right? If for no other reason it's gotta run out of material...I mean, "the best thing to do for a basketball program AND a group of it's loyal seniors is to bring back the terrible coach who as failed them both in terms of their personal development and their collegiate athletic accomplishment aspirations" just has to be near the bottom of the bull-shit bucket, right?

Right?

• Upvote 4

This bit is bound to die at some point, right? If for no other reason it's gotta run out of material...I mean, "the best thing to do for a basketball program AND a group of it's loyal seniors is to bring back the terrible coach who as failed them both in terms of their personal development and their collegiate athletic accomplishment aspirations" just has to be near the bottom of the bull-shit bucket, right?

Right?

I believe they want him back. Especially CJ and Jordan. They already lost one coach why drove them to go through 3 coaches in 4 years and have to learn a whole new system their last season. Being him back next year and if things are not going well then make the move. Why make the move and ruin a senior year for so many players by forcing them to get to know a new coach all over again... I also believe that teaching them grades are important (I assume he is) and how to grow up and be real men is much more important then "collegiate athletic accomplishments" to them. Maybe not you but to them it will be. Your just a bystander who wants your own enjoyment. There is a lot more to college and college sports then having fun and winning. However winning is nice and I know we all want to win. I just think that if you look at the bigger picture on more year might be what is best wither way.

• Downvote 3