Well, it's happening. P5 to make their own division.

The key will be how closely UNT can match the increased P5 funding. If they are honest that these additional dollars are earmarked for education only then there will be some non P5's that can match ie SMU so the key will be the commitment of non P5 schools in terms of marching or even coming close to matching.

I think initially this will primarily affect small budget basketball schools like Northeastern (mentioned in the article) or shoestring budget football schools like ULM. Over time it could become a bigger separator.

Anti-trust, anyone?

Doubtful, if the entire membership votes for it. What's unfair is that there are no requirements for membership. If there were standards for membership such as attendance, revenue, stadium size, etc. whereby any university had a chance to be in the clique it would be much more palatable.

When the power conferences take the TV and bowl money for themselves it does smack of anti-trust. And that will only get worse, not better. The only hope is that the entire membership can override bad legislation that is not in the best interest of the association. The only reason for the split as I see it is so that they can keep voting themselves larger and larger pieces of the pie.

This doesn't appear to be that they are separating into a new "league." Instead, they remain within the NCAA FBS, but will have more voting rights. Sure that might be used in the future to separate them more, but it appears this is designed to keep them within the current NCAA structure but to have more voting power... at least that's how I read it.

So they basically want to keep the non P5 schools around to bring in and kick the crap out of in a money game.

And the non power 5 schools say ok because it's the only way they can access the money allotted to the power 5?

Really stupid of the non power 5 schools. They should all band together and file a class action anti trust suit against the NCAA.

Make the P5 call themselves what they are and separate from the NCAA. Put the onus on them for a change. Make them make the hard decision of only having each other to play. No more paying for wins with lesser conference schools. You want to keep your fans happy? Well, you are going to have to share the pie.

If not, don't let the door hit you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I have a feeling in 20 years….I won't be a college football fan anymore.

And that sucks.

It will be a game-changer for many.

Several schools in the G5 group have more going for themselves than some of the perennial lower conference finishers in the P5. Not sure how that group of G5's are going to respond. It's times like these when ticket sales and filled stadiums probably will play a part for some G5's in the future; that is, those who are presently G5 and would have a real chance of meeting some of the new P5 criteria "IF"............there is a new P5 criteria at all. Surely this will not be a closed membership forever to where a G5 would not be able to upgrade itself to their level when it is doing as good (or better) than those P5 schools who annually finish toward the bottom.

But like those gurgling water as they watched Noah's ark float away in the distance, there will still be many who choose to tread water no matter all prior warnings "to merely take care of business at home." Probably even more reason why season ticket sales and per home game attendance will always be important now and in the future. They most always have in past re-alignments beginning in the early 80's when NCAA D1-AA became UNT's option due to our short-comings in attendance and stadium size. (Didn't many of us know that these 2 vital areas would re-visit our own situation at some point)?

:bling: Let's still wait and see how all this play out. Not sure the P5's will get all that they want in the final analysis. A strong spokesman for the G5 would really be in order right now to plead our case so we are not sent into NCAA purgatory.....................again.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm concerned how this might bleed into basketball too.

As long as they don't take away the three point line and keep the scholarship max per team at 13 the non P5 schools will always have a chance in basketball ;).

But yes, this greed is sickening and it would not be good for college football if this happened.

As long as they don't take away the three point line and keep the scholarship max per team at 13 the non P5 schools will always have a chance in basketball ;).

But yes, this greed is sickening and it would not be good for college football if this happened.

To an extent yes....but if the power schools pay their athletes, you won't see the rare Tony Mitchell end up at schools like ours. I know we didn't take advantage of it, but some schools have. Butler had like 3 guys who either made the NBA or had serious looks. They probably don't.get all that talent if the Power guys have new rules.

To an extent yes....but if the power schools pay their athletes, you won't see the rare Tony Mitchell end up at schools like ours. I know we didn't take advantage of it, but some schools have. Butler had like 3 guys who either made the NBA or had serious looks. They probably don't.get all that talent if the Power guys have new rules.

No, I agree. Same with the Dominique Ferguson kid that FIU signed 4 years ago. Although the Butler NBA players Hayward and Mack were not highly regarded recruits and I don't think they picked Butler over any P5 schools. Just checked and Hayward had a Purdue offer. If he would've gone to Purdue no way they make that first NC run or get the recruits that they have in subsequent years.

It would mess things up majorly. This really just should not happen.

So they basically want to keep the non P5 schools around to bring in and kick the crap out of in a money game.

And the non power 5 schools say ok because it's the only way they can access the money allotted to the power 5?

Really stupid of the non power 5 schools. They should all band together and file a class action anti trust suit against the NCAA.

Make the P5 call themselves what they are and separate from the NCAA. Put the onus on them for a change. Make them make the hard decision of only having each other to play. No more paying for wins with lesser conference schools. You want to keep your fans happy? Well, you are going to have to share the pie.

If not, don't let the door hit you.

I could not agree more.

Minimum $2 million to go play a P5 school. Make them pay to fill their schedule. It will work if, and only if, the non-power leagues stick together.

Screw that. Don't play them. Period. Make the pimps play each other.

$2 mil is like a nickel to teams like UT. No whoring. Period.

Edited by UNT90