Lifetime Contract for Mac? (ARCHIVE)

filmerj

No, but that's where I think the line is for the people who make these decisions.

Why? If your reason is money then I disagree.

There is no way--none, zilch, nada--that we are paying over $2 million dollars to buy out McCarney after this year, even if he goes 0-12. I might be persuaded to believe that after a dismal 2016, he might could be bought out for $1.3 million, but even then that is extremely doubtful. And that doesn't matter if RV is gone or not. There is NO WAY the BOR is gonna ok a buyout of that magnitude. To believe anything otherwise is to place your faith in the Easter Bunny...

If you think that was about RV getting bought out--he is owed three years at $375k. His best friends here are those who pay the big figures to the AD. They aren't ponying up for a buyout of a guy who has just transformed their world by --gasp!!--opening up tailgating!! Maybe in early 2017, but not before.

In an acceptable world to me, considering our financial lack of commitment, I'd say that this is the best sequence of events:

2015--we hired an alum to turn around the abortion that is UNT Womens Hoops

2016--we dump RV and hire an AD from a place that has raised funds and won at a G5 university that has dealt with being in the shadows of P5s. Then we fire Benford and hire an actual experienced head coach to take over the Dumpster Fire that is our mens' hoops program

2017--The new AD fires McCarney and replaces him with a young up-and-comer in the coaching ranks

• Upvote 3

There is no way--none, zilch, nada--that we are paying over $2 million dollars to buy out McCarney after this year, even if he goes 0-12. I might be persuaded to believe that after a dismal 2016, he might could be bought out for $1.3 million, but even then that is extremely doubtful. And that doesn't matter if RV is gone or not. There is NO WAY the BOR is gonna ok a buyout of that magnitude. To believe anything otherwise is to place your faith in the Easter Bunny...

If you think that was about RV getting bought out--he is owed three years at $375k. His best friends here are those who pay the big figures to the AD. They aren't ponying up for a buyout of a guy who has just transformed their world by --gasp!!--opening up tailgating!! Maybe in early 2017, but not before.

In an acceptable world to me, considering our financial lack of commitment, I'd say that this is the best sequence of events:

2016--we dump RV and hire an AD from a place that has raised funds and won at a G5 university that has dealt with being in the shadows of P5s. Then we fire Benford and hire an actual experienced head coach to take over the Dumpster Fire that is our mens' hoops program

2017--The new AD fires McCarney and replaces him with a young up-and-comer in the coaching ranks

I'm running on fumes already. Don't know if I have the will to wait that long...........

• Upvote 2

actually, I've been quite on point for some time now with this program. 

How is that 5 home game season (which I said was coming after the 2012 season) treating you? 

Was SMU a little tougher than you thought? 

Does this year's schedule greatly impede success for UNT (although I initially thought it would limit us to 3 wins, the possibility of zero wins is greatly increased by no FBS QB and the awful scheduling plan rolled out by this AD year after year after year after year)?

I also told this fan base that they would greatly miss DT. Those that are still grudgingly holding onto the mantra "anyone on the roster is as good as DT" are simply in a state of denial. 

And I'll add a new prediction for you. RV will be gone by Feb. 1, one way or the other (forced retirement or firing). By that time we will have finished up a terrible football season and be smack dab in the middle of basketball season. That will allow the new AD to fire Benford at the end of the year and hire a replacement.

And I'll predict that against overwhelming odds, UNT hires a younger, much more effective AD who manages to keep the 15 "big donors" around and adds about 30 more in his first 3 years on the job. 

I pray you're right.  And if you are, this will be me...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

There is no way Mac makes it past 2016 without winning 6 games this year or next.

There is no way Mac makes it past 2016 without winning 6 games this year or next.

Todd Dodge won 5 games in three seasons--and was given a 4th season to still lead the team, since that would have required us to buy out an extra year of his contract that was worth $300k annually. He rewarded us by going 1-6 in his 4th year before getting fired.

Dan McCarney can go 0-12 this year and he won't get fired. And my guess is that as long as he wins 2 or more games next year, he will be back for 2017. We will buy out one year of a contract--but to pay over $1.3 million to buy out two years of Mac's contract and then hire someone just isn't something the BOR will ever get on board with--like ever. The exact same thing has happened with Tony Benford--he hasn't had a winning season yet in his three years over at the Super Pit, yet he gets a 4th year because we wouldn't buy out an extra $325k that it would cost to buy him out after last season instead of during or after this upcoming year.

It would take us winning only one game over the next two years for Mac to get replaced--and we would probably hire the absolute cheapest options available (again) to take over as head coach.

We will buy out one year of a contract--but to pay over $1.3 million to buy out two years of Mac's contract and then hire someone just isn't something the BOR will ever get on board with--like ever.

The BOR has almost nothing to do with getting the money to do that.    It will have to be raised by donors, fly assures us that money could be raised if they decided it was necessary.  Time will tell if he is right.  

• Upvote 2

The BOR has almost nothing to do with getting the money to do that.    It will have to be raised by donors, fly assures us that money could be raised if they decided it was necessary.  Time will tell if he is right.  

So RV would have to go to the big donors to raise money to pay off his own contract? 

Wonderful...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well President Smatresk did get hired in large part because he over subscribed a 500 million dollar fundraising campaign. 

but all 15 donors are friends with RV. How will Smatresk EVER find anyone outside those 15 people to donate money? I mean, those 15 people just HAVE to be the only alumni with money willing to invest in athletics at UNT, even though we have 100k alums in the DFW area...

But seriously, let those 15 maintain their friendships and walk away if they choose. They shouldn't make the mistake of believing they can't be replaced. We are all replaceable in everything we do. To believe otherwise is a sure recipe for complacency. 

I hope Pres. Smatresk is contacting new sources of revenue that actually care more about winning than drinking with their good buddy RV. Those are the people that will make a difference at UNT.