Lifetime Contract for Mac? (ARCHIVE)

filmerj

No.

Just no.

2013 was a very nice season, but there was no conference championship and failure when there was an opportunity to get one. We don't play in the SEC, folks.

3 year extension.

RV and the BOR shouldn't bite off more than they can chew (don't extend longer than you are willing to pay off).

It was 9-4, not 14-0. Lets not make decisions based on emotion.

I agree...this is just bad business...many of the teams we played were in bottom of rankings, but we did beat them soundly...but I think another year before we go totally off the cliff...maybe lifetime if next season goes well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hope they don't call it a "lifetime" contract and I suspect it will not. Mac likely told them he would coach a few more years, similar to Rawlins saying he would lead a few more years. Would be could to get him signed to a 5 year deal. If longer, perhaps there is a clause to keep him in the action by moving him to the "front office".

No Lifetime Contract, Yet!?!?

1-2 yrs now and if he has a similar year next year with his recruits running the ship then I am all about letting him have the reigns, but HELL NO right now.

Besides RV needs to be more worried about the train wrecks in the Super Pit and his own job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If Coach Mac were 40 and unproven, then I would be concerned, but he will likely coach 5 more years at the most. Plus, his personality will not allow him to "rest on his laurels" and coast. He is committed to building this program, has shown he knows what he is doing, connects with students and fans of all ages, is a great representative for North Texas, brings passion to the position that I have never seen at North Texas and brings respect to our program. Great move.

I think I lean your way a little, although I'll be anxious to see the details of the contract.

• Upvote 2

It was a very nice season? guys it was at worst the third best season in the HISTORY of this program! I think you could make a strong argument it was the best. Look at the culture change this man has instilled. He won't coach forever but I think locking up a guy of Mac's caliber for the duration of his career is pretty unique and would serve our program extremely well in the eyes of recruits and families. After the Dodge and Dickey nightmare endings we need a stable period of growth. Mac could provide this.

If Coach Mac were 40 and unproven, then I would be concerned, but he will likely coach 5 more years at the most. Plus, his personality will not allow him to "rest on his laurels" and coast. He is committed to building this program, has shown he knows what he is doing, connects with students and fans of all ages, is a great representative for North Texas, brings passion to the position that I have never seen at North Texas and brings respect to our program. Great move.

I wonder if Penn St felt the same way back in the day. That guy wouldn't leave peacefully even after being the cause of the worst scandal in college football history.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

It was a very nice season? guys it was at worst the third best season in the HISTORY of this program! I think you could make a strong argument it was the best. Look at the culture change this man has instilled. He won't coach forever but I think locking up a guy of Mac's caliber for the duration of his career is pretty unique and would serve our program extremely well in the eyes of recruits and families. After the Dodge and Dickey nightmare endings we need a stable period of growth. Mac could provide this.

This is pure emotion, Harry.

There was no conference championship and a failure to achieve that goal against an 8 point dog (in sooo many ways) that we played at Apogee.

Again, it's great to have a winning season for a change, but what happens if we pull a USM and win 2 games next year? Do I think this happens? No. But what if it does?

Lifetime contract means Mac gets to decide when he leaves. That is NEVER a good idea.

And it's just a plain bad business decision.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Easy on Dickey.... He wasn't a fan favorite but he did do four things Mac hasn't done for our school yet...

As far as a lifetime contract, I like the symbolic nature and what it says to the recruits about our commitment to them and the program, but its a little soon in Mac's tenure here to reward him that..... two more bowl births and a conference championship in the next two years and I'm all on board, not till then.

• Upvote 2

Why give him a lifetime contract? Just up his salary, extend him for a few more years and make him happy. Even the good and great coaches eventually lose their way and I am sorry but this would be a disastrous mistake. This may have been the best season in NT to some but that to me explains just how our football history has been to us. Run the program the right way and don't get carried away. Let's not forget the man was 56-85 at Iowa State.

• Upvote 1