Off Season Discussion: Greatest Memory of the 2013-14 Season?

UNTLifer

Off The Field: I honestly think my favorite was the new television show "Beyond the Green" that gave us an inside look at the program. I really enjoyed the highlights on some of the players, especially the stories on Marcus Trice and Sarge. I also think this series showed our program in a whole new light to kids thinking about attending North Texas. A great recruiting tool and I looked forward to every episode. Runner-up: DT winning the HOD MVP.

On The Field: DEFENSE. The thing that disappointed me the most during the previous era was the lack of defense. We have always fielded good defensive teams that would knock you in the mouth. This defense was just fun to watch as I got to where I expected a big, game changing play all the time. Runner-up: The Stand and the HOD Bowl experience.

Edited by UNTLifer

I think almost everyone is forgetting the relief of winning the Idaho game. I know I was happy. Starting with a win for once was great. But the sixth win and bowl win were the best parts of this season.

On the flip side watching the team give away the west to a very mediocre UTSA was the worst. We played terrible after both bye weeks.

I wanted our 26th the conference title!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A lot of great ones for me, but I think Whitfield's INT returned for a TD vs La Tech was mine. I knew right then that a) I was about to see my 1st ever road win & B) we would be ending up in a bowl

With you on the La Tech win. My moment was watching the time officially expire in that game, knowing that we'd finally put back to back wins together. That game officially let me know that this year was different. Great celebrating with the Mean Green fans in the stands that made the trip after La Techs stadium had been emptied of fans.

Also, thrashing Tulsa in the last game of the regular season. We've owed them payback in a big way ever since 54-2. We looked every bit as dominant this year as they did back against us all those years ago. Glad I was there to see that in person and that'll be the last memory that their fans have in their mind of their time in CUSA.

Every single thing about the Rice game. Alternate unis, SOW on the hat, Abbe exploding onto the scene as a FB, THE STAND...

That's the best I've ever felt about North Texas football walking out of a game.

this...

the Rice game was just a perfect confluence of events to make it a special night... i had to run to the stadium in order to see the kickoff because traffic was terrible coming from Dallas... the weather was perfect... the band was all dressed up in costumes... national tv... and just watching our Defensive line slowly turn the tide in the middle of the 3rd quarter when you started to see their QB have happy feet everytime he dropped back... and if you don't love The Stand, you don't love America!

i wish we could have had that feeling every game for the past three years... but it was amazing getting to experience what truly felt like big-time college football that night

• Upvote 1

Rice. Felt like big name college football. Campus was buzzing, people were 100% into the game, the NORTH TEXAS chant coming back in better-than-ever fashion, student turnout, costumes, national TV...just about everything. And the damn Stand. The crowd just kept getting rowdier and rowdier each stop. Massive insanity. Couldn't believe that happened.

Edited by meangreener

Greatest memory of this past season is what the black uniforms against Rice stood for:

When he first got here, Mac said something to the effect of we wouldn't do anything special until the guys have proved to him that they were ready to win and were hungry. That they would have to earn something like that and prove themselves to him.

Wearing those special uniforms on Halloween on National TV against an In-State team we were looking to get revenge on, meant that Mac finally felt that they'd turned the corner and his players deserved it.

THAT above all else, is what I will remember the most.

After seeing Dickey decline, and the awful disaster we endured under Dodge, seeing that we had finally climbed back onto the horse was amazing.

I loved the timing more than anything. Our centennial year and first year in CUSA, which was also the first winning season, first bowl, and first bowl win in a long time, happened to occur just as we started a group way out here, so the huge increase in televised games coupled with actually winning and being competitive against the big boys like Georgia made it easy to show pride around a lot of people who had never heard of us. Even beyond all of the alumni we're trying to awaken, all of these things coming together made it easier to start the momentum in getting some name recognition out here amidst all of the MWC and PAC-12 schools and alumni.

As for on the field, it was hard not to stay excited because all three phases were so exciting for so much of the season that you tended to expect something crazy and awesome on almost every play! Between Brelan on offense and returns and Lee on defense I almost always had my one guy I was watching the most but of course there was so much greatness all around that the whole team was fun to watch. So I'd say the constant excitement and rarity of lapses thereof were the best part of the actual games.

• Upvote 1

There were so many:

1. Tailgating and the Element games - we have them every year: Huddled under the tent with about 50 in the rain during MTSU. Sweltering heat but a delicious W for Idaho, sitting under a heat lamp for 3 hours before the UTSA game - the elements rear their head every year and always make for memorable games!

2. The Stand - simply the best since the Miracle in the Desert which I witnessed firsthand.

3. Southern Miss - looking at my friend and saying - we are never up 41-7 on anyone much less Southern Miss and singing our cheer songs to their band - they are the same (good job Rick V). Never forget the Southern Miss fans talking smack to us on the way into the Rock thinking - these guys are bold bumping their gums on a 19 game losing streak at the time. Then getting free tickets because they suck so bad from a Golden Eagle diehard. Southern Miss fans are good people and that program will be back. Got to get them NOW!

4. Making every Mean Green game this year except Georgia and Tulsa.

5. The surreal HOD experience. The staycation at the Omni, seeing UNT flashing in downtown, every pre-party possible and the chamber of commerce day weather. Universities dream of an experience like we had on New Years day a few weeks back.

6. The realization that UNT has won 3 bowl games in 100 years and I have seen 2 of them in the Superdome and Cotton Bowl. Are you kidding me!

GMG

• Upvote 1