UNT, C-USA officials examining UNT scheduling issue

Harry

Can we all agree that this is probably the new low point for UNT Basketball? I'm probably alone on this, but I give the blame to RV for this catastrophe. We don't even run into this situation if he doesn't hire a "recruiter" for his first head coaching gig, which he has shown to be woefully unprepared for in every way, which now includes failing at dumbing down the schedule.

Fran Fraschilla. Danny Kaspar. Bob Marlin. Scott Cross. All were available to bring here for the job with the most talented team in school history.

And we hired Tony Benford, because he could recruit, i.e., BS people to follow him. He must have had one helluva binder in his interview with RV...And even if Benford had been what RV thought he would be as a coach, there is exactly zero doubt that he would've been Tech's coach right now, instead of Tubby Smith.

At no other school in America would the AD survive something like this situation with Benford, especially on the heels of the Dodge hire in football and the Stephens hire in womens hoops. RV owns the worst three hires in the school's history in all three revenue sports. Its unreal to me that he keeps his job, much less getting any kind of extension.

• Upvote 5

What took the ncaa so long? Was the ticket office busy mailing our schedule to the ncaa instead of mailing HOD tickets? is that why they just found out?

The NCAA doesn't have the manpower to review every team's schedule in Div 1, Div 2, etc to make sure they are following the rules. They normally find out rules have been broken when they are reported. Hard to say how CUSA found out about the schedule issue but it too may have been reported to them or NT self reported.

I found it interesting that our strength of schedule was still above a lot of teams including Purdue, MiddleTennessee, Georgia, and many others. The mistake cannot be justified, but the complaints about a weak schedule seem a bit if a stretch.

If we had scheduled UTSA instead of Wayland Baptist nothing about the schedule could be questioned. This issue would have not existed and there could be zero complaints over our schedule. Our record however would still be a issue...

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I found it interesting that our strength of schedule was still above a lot of teams including Purdue, MiddleTennessee, Georgia, and many others. The mistake cannot be justified, but the complaints about a weak schedule seem a bit if a stretch.

If we had scheduled UTSA instead of Wayland Baptist nothing about the schedule could be questioned. This issue would have not existed and there could be zero complaints over our schedule. Our record however would still be a issue...

D2 and NAIA games don't factor into SOS calculations...

D2 and NAIA games don't factor into SOS calculations...

And that somehow changes the point? Tons of teams play 1 or 2 division 2 or NAIA schools. They do not count for them either. All we needed to do was cancel Waylon baptist and schedule UTA and there would be zero gripes or issues. That was the big mistake. I understand that because of our tournament there may have been an issue but maybe they should have tried harder.

• Upvote 1

And that somehow changes the point? Tons of teams play 1 or 2 division 2 or NAIA schools. They do not count for them either. All we needed to do was cancel Waylon baptist and schedule UTA and there would be zero gripes or issues. That was the big mistake. I understand that because of our tournament there may have been an issue but maybe they should have tried harder.

yes...but...most...don't...play...four...

or...

in...our...case...

five.

• Upvote 1

yes...but...most...don't...play...four...

or...

in...our...case...

five.

I am unsure how many teams play in exhibition games. ECU played 3 or 4 in their regular season schedule. I have no problem scheduling 2 a year and 1 for an exhibition game. Hopefully next year the lesson is learned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1