Danny Mac's new contract

Harry

Seems to me like there would be an advantage to getting this wrapped up prior to signing day. I know if I was a player or family it would be reassuring to know that the head guy was going to be in Denton for a long, long time. Then again -- it could be that they already know this and it is simply dotting the i's and the t's of the contract at this point.

The other variable is the timing of the new president. I believe he is slated to begin his tenure at UNT in February. They may be waiting to have his blessing and be a part of this.

I just hope and pray that they give him a very competitive deal and it is inclusive of the assistant pool. It would be a great message for Mac to be able to tell recruits he plans on staying here until he retires.

A good poster just reminded me that even if Mac's contract is done it would not be able to be announced until after the Board of Regent meeting which takes place on January 16th (This Thursday) in Denton. I would bet that we get some good news on or around that date! GMG!

Question- Why at other schools do these things get figured out and announced fairly quickly, but we have to wait weeks? I'm guessing it's because we don't have a lot of media covering us trying to break stories ASAP so we have to wait until it's released by the school, which can take awhile.

So...

You're saying Vito's on vacation?

Question- Why at other schools do these things get figured out and announced fairly quickly, but we have to wait weeks? I'm guessing it's because we don't have a lot of media covering us trying to break stories ASAP so we have to wait until it's released by the school, which can take awhile.

Well, the new Texas coach still doesn't have a contract and probably won't have one for several more weeks as it's written up. I don't think we're any different from any other school.

• Upvote 3

Woe is us.
  • Upvote 1

Has the length of time getting a contract caused problems for us? I don't think so.

And just to be clear, a term sheet isn't a contract. Just ask someone who's tried to get venture capital funding. Deals still fall through.

Edited by VideoEagle

Has the length of time getting a contract caused problems for us? I don't think so.

And just to be clear, a term sheet isn't a contract. Just ask someone who's tried to get venture capital funding. Deals still fall through.

Sure things can change before they're finalized. I just was wondering why a lot of new contract details or extensions are known before they're finalized. I'm guessing Vito has a very good idea what McCarney's new contract will be, but he's not going to release anything to avoid burning any bridges.

I want Danny Mac's statue to be included in the contract in or in front of Apogee Stadium once he retires after a couple of C-USA titles, bowl wins, and a top 25 appearance. In all seriousness, he is a great coach who has that "it" factor when it comes to coaching, motivating, and visioning. We NEED him here for the long run to see his vision through. I think after the Darryl Dickey era we can ALL finally appreciate a coach who knows how to build a program and who knows what it takes to win.

I think he'll be coaching until he's done working. I don't see him moving to another job as the AD. I think when he's done coaching he'll be done "working". He could have some job as "Special Assistant to the AD or President" and go around giving pep talks and promoting the school.

Maybe. But I think his physical health will stop him from coaching when mentally he still has a lot to give. I don't see him coaching another 10 years, but I could see him being an able A.D. into his 70's.

• Upvote 1