MGB: Could Canales be in play at UAB?

Brett Vito

Garrick was Petrino's OC/QB coach at Arkansas. Combine that with UAB being a dead end job, and it is easy to see why he split for Louisville.

As for Chico...tough call if they offer him the job. It is dead end. But, even in a record-setting season, the fans here could think of nothing to do but bitch about him and second guess him at every turn. In a record setting year, calling plays for guys who led and climbed the career record charts in passing, rushing, receiving, total offense, and all-purpose yards in Thompson, Byrd, and Chancellor, the fans here were about 113% unappreciative of him.

I'd like to see Chico as the head coach somewhere. But, UAB...they'd have to double or triple what he was making here. He has to know that it's only a two to three year gig at most, win or lose.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

the thought of an offense without Canales convincing Mac to open up the playbook is scary...

This scares me as well. I thought our offense looked the best when we were more fast-paced and more spread-style. I thought mixing that in with what Mac's wants to do (pound the rock under center) was a good combo as long as both were occurring.
  • Upvote 1

As for Chico...tough call if they offer him the job. It is dead end. But, even in a record-setting season, the fans here could think of nothing to do but bitch about him and second guess him at every turn. In a record setting year, calling plays for guys who led and climbed the career record charts in passing, rushing, receiving, total offense, and all-purpose yards in Thompson, Byrd, and Chancellor, the fans here were about 113% unappreciative of him.

Preach on my man. Don't forget that Lance Dunbar's records were under the 2 years he played under Canales. I agree Lance is a special player, but you can't argue that he played 1/2 of his career under Canales calling the plays.

No matter what KingDL says, I will brag about the work Canales has done at UNT. So what if I am part of his family, that means I know more than most what he has given and sacrificed for the success and turn around of the UNT football program.

Canales will get his chance as a HC, but it won't be this upcoming season. I hope Canales stays at UNT for a long time, I love Denton, I have grown to love the MeanGreen. And can't imagine cheering for UNT on Saturdays next year and watching the Meangreen win another bowl game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Explain to me like I'm five why the University of Alabama regents would so actively keep UAB down. Does it suck resources from the NFL team in Tuscaloosa?

I know I've heard plenty of similar stories of the Texas legislature keeping down anybody not called Longhorns or Aggies.

I suppose I will never fully understand college football in the south.

I think you'd have to ask them if you really want to know why. And I doubt they'd tell you the truth. It's my opinion that most of these schools want to keep the other schools in the state on an altogether different level. That why Arkansas will not play A-State or UCA. If they were to play each other, rivalries might develop, and the students, alumni, and other fans of those schools might stop being Razorback fans. But if they can keep the other schools at a lower level, they can keep rooting for the little guy and the big guy at the same time, just like someone can be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, North Texas Mean Green, and Lewisville Fighting Farmers all at the same time.

My son is a UAB grad, and the problem is Bear Bryant Jr. As long as he is head of Alabama's BOR,[ or alive] UAB will not be allowed to replace Legion Field, which is literality falling down. It is a dead end job, but then,so is North Texas. Hayden Fry and Jerry Moore are only head football coachs that I can think of that stepped up when they left,and J.J, the only head basketball coach.

Sure... but there is actually a new stadium in Denton, and there is a new practice facility new videoboards at the pit etc.... simply said: NT has started investing money into athletics. That is the exact thing UAB seems unable to do. And it Is crucial

• Upvote 1

Chico, for your own good, pass on this job. I can't think of a worse job in college football.

And this isn't a swipe at UAB, it's just that its really clear they will never be allowed to be competitive in college football at the FBS level because of the Alabama BOR.

Chico, for your own good, pass on this job. I can't think of a worse job in college football.

And this isn't a swipe at UAB, it's just that its really clear they will never be allowed to be competitive in college football at the FBS level because of the Alabama BOR.

I'd say Idaho or NMSU are worse. Maybe Eastern Michigan too. But UAB should be a perennial "pad-the-stats" game for us once they join our division.

I'd say Idaho or NMSU are worse. Maybe Eastern Michigan too. But UAB should be a perennial "pad-the-stats" game for us once they join our division.

I get what you mean, because some things(distances when they start playing in the belt, facilities not much better than UAB either, far away from recruiting hot beds) are definitely tougher in those places than at UAB... but I get the feeling they have something that it feels to me like UAB is lacking completely: hope.

Terrible situation. I don't think it compares to what naysayers have said about UNT or even Idaho or NMSU, because there's a difference between some crazy challenges and bad decisions...and the abject and blatant intent to prevent the program from ever going anywhere. It makes me wonder why they even bother to have a school there at all, or at the very least as a couple of you already agreed, why have an FBS program. I don't see how any other situation compares to "No, you can't have a stadium or hire your new coach, but good luck with all of that anyway."

I agree with the idea that OCs don't turn down more money and a title promotion based on fear that the program can't be successful. A coach doesn't get to the level of FBS Coordinator without confidence in his own ability.

Obviously, we have nothing to confirm Chico is interested or has even been contacted but my hope is that should he interview, the board would support the idea of our staff being promoted in a VERY competitive industry.

Staff changes due to promotion will only aid our goal to be seen not as a dead end program but one of opportunity for coaches.

Edited by jdennis82

Chico is going to be a head coach sooner rather than later. I hope he gets a better opportunity than UAB.

As for UABs polical situation, all state schools must play politics. Arkansas State has continuous battles with Arkansas. The Louisana schools all battle with LSU. Tech and Baylor got into the Big Xii based on the sitting Lt Governor. To this day, Kstate battles KU over the size of their stadium with KU keeping it smaller than Kstate would like.

NT has had to play politics the get Appogee, the law school and many other things. Back in the late 70s the legislature wanted to merge TWU into NT but the Aggies blocked it. Why? Because at the time the merged school would be bigger than A&M. some times you win and sometimes you lose. But complaining about politics at a state unversity is about is like complaining about the weather.

Chico is going to be a head coach sooner rather than later. I hope he gets a better opportunity than UAB.

As for UABs polical situation, all state schools must play politics. Arkansas State has continuous battles with Arkansas. The Louisana schools all battle with LSU. Tech and Baylor got into the Big Xii based on the sitting Lt Governor. To this day, Kstate battles KU over the size of their stadium with KU keeping it smaller than Kstate would like.

NT has had to play politics the get Appogee, the law school and many other things. Back in the late 70s the legislature wanted to merge TWU into NT but the Aggies blocked it. Why? Because at the time the merged school would be bigger than A&M. some times you win and sometimes you lose. But complaining about politics at a state unversity is about is like complaining about the weather.

But it's a lot different in Texas, where 10 plus sxhools play FBS football, than it is in Alabama, where there are only 4 (Bama, Auburn,Troy, and UAB).

UNT also doesn't have the challenge if being a part if the UT system, as UAB has with Bama.

Althoug the UT system seems to take a much more hands off approach to its satellite football playing schools than Bama does, probably because UT is used to having multiple football playing schools in its much larger state.