Off-season questions series No. 1 — Who takes over at QB?

Harry

UNT has spent a little time celebrating its win over UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

That can mean only one thing — It’s time to turn the attention to the off-season.

Over the next few weeks, we will do the same here on the blog and go over a few of the questions that UNT is facing.

Today, we begin with No. 1 — Who will replace Derek Thompson at quarterback?

My feelings on Thompson and his contributions are pretty well known. Thompson wasn’t an all-conference player. He had some off games, but he also came up big plenty of times for UNT throughout his career and especially in his senior season.

Thompson threw for 256 yards in UNT’s win over UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl and finished with 2,896 yards as a senior. He completed 64.4 percent of his passes and threw 16 touchdown passes.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/01/off-season-questions-series-no-1-who-takes-over-at-quarterback.html/

My temporary depth chart for now:

1) McNulty

2) Williams

3) Greer

4) Berglund

5) Means

I think Williams might/will jump McNulty if he shows that he can command the offense, has a great showing in spring game, and stays healthy. McNulty knows the system, has backed up Thompson at 2nd string all season, and has experience. I'm a fan of both of them and trust them with the offense at this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i would like to see pocket passer again. we have a great o-line coming back and josh if he can play will be great behind that line and develop some of our WRs. once we have some known depth at WR. we can have our battle with the pocket passer vs the dual-threat QB bc the o-line will be weak and we will need a QB that can run.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He just regurgitated what we've been talking about on this board all week!

Haha true but its a good outlet to talk offseason to help pass the time... Especially after the NFL ends their season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I disagree. Brett has remained pretty loyal to DT through his entire career. Not a lot on here have, with the exception of Dallas Green and a few others. I think Brett is taking the position that DT will be difficult to replace.

I'm a big fan of Dajon after watching him play in the Idaho game and I know Greer must be good for them to offer him a scholarship. McNulty will be the leader out of the gate since he was the #2 guy behind DT. I am fine with whomever wins the job. I just hope Brock gets a fair shot.

I disagree. Brett has remained pretty loyal to DT through his entire career. Not a lot on here have, with the exception of Dallas Green and a few others. I think Brett is taking the position that DT will be difficult to replace.

I'm a big fan of Dajon after watching him play in the Idaho game and I know Greer must be good for them to offer him a scholarship. McNulty will be the leader out of the gate since he was the #2 guy behind DT. I am fine with whomever wins the job. I just hope Brock gets a fair shot.

Can't wait for Means to get the job and everyone's heads explode.

• Upvote 2

I think I remember seeing Little Mac run the offense for a series against Georgia and looking really good. Did that happen or am I making things up?

I am on the DW bandwagon, but unless I'm having phantom memories, I think McNulty is a solid QB.

He did but there's not enough of a sample size at all to say that....I have hopes that he can be a solid bus driver but really want to see DW and Brock this spring to see how they manage. Though the 'Nults scored the first td in Apogee if I remember correctly.....right?

I'm still waiting to see why Brock was so highly rated in high school. I really hope that the talent people saw back then asserts itself in the spring.

Because we like to worry about things that we have no control over :)

How fun would this board be otherwise?

"Who's gonna start at QB?"

"I don't know. Let's wait til Mac puts out a depth chart"

"You don't have a favorite?"

"Nope, I just wait for the coaches to tell us."

"Oh, ok. Wanna talk about helmet stickers?"

• Upvote 3

Can't wait for Means to get the job and everyone's heads explode.

I would be all for Means getting the job if he has a big spring. We have 4 unknowns already in the competition (DW, BB, JG, CM) and the McNulty. As much as DW excites us, we have only seen one series from him. BB has yet to get it together, but I think his upside for this year is the highest out of all the qbs for this upcoming season. Greer sounds like he is DT 2.0 with a slightly bigger arm. Bottom line is we need a PLAYMAKER at this position if we want to continue moving forward as a program. This will be an exciting time for North Texas football because I honestly think anyone of these guys could be great starters for our team.