Mean Green finally healthy

Harry

DENTON, Texas – For the first time in the Tony Benford era the North Texas basketball team will take the court with all of its scholarship players active and healthy, and they will need every one of them when one of Conference USA’s top squads comes to the Super Pit for the league opener on Thursday.

It only took one minute into the 2012-13 season opener for the injury bug to bite the Mean Green. Brandan Walton broke his foot and missed the remainder of the year on one of NT’s first possessions. The injuries snowballed from there, and NT finished the season as the third most banged up team in the country with 82 games missed.

Colin Voss is leading the charge to get the Mean Green healthy this season. The junior tore 10 inches worth of muscle in his quadriceps in early Oct., and is just now getting back to full strength. His resurgence in the paint, along with the arrival of Kelvin Gaines, has NT churning on all cylinders and on a four game win streak.

Southern Miss, which advanced three rounds deep into last year’s NIT, is looking to repeat its stellar 2012-13 season. Southern Miss went 27-10 last year, and took Memphis to double overtime in the C-USA title game in Tulsa, Okla.

The Golden Eagles are among the top defensive squads in the country. USM ranks 8th in the NCAA in total steals (139), and their 62.1 points allowed per game ranks 26th nationally.

Read more: http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010814aaa.html

So, that's the excuse. Can't use it anymore now!

Lets give Benford a chance and see what they can do. I know thats not a popular opinion on this board, but at this point that's all we can do. Hopefully the team will continue to improve and surprise everyone in conference play. If not lets hope RV sees his mistake so he can correct it at the end of the year.

• Upvote 2

It makes me fell better to know that Voss wasn't healthy early on which hampered his play. He has really been coming on as of late which is a good sign for the team.

I agree. If we had been a bit healthier earlier we would have bear Columbia and Idaho and would be 11-3 heading into Conference play. That would have been fantastic! I really wanted ten wins coming into this game so let's make this game the tenth win!

• Upvote 2

It makes me fell better to know that Voss wasn't healthy early on which hampered his play. He has really been coming on as of late which is a good sign for the team.

I knew he was hurt before the season started, but sometimes JUCOs need some time to acclimate to this level too. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this level once the level of competition goes up.

I knew he was hurt before the season started, but sometimes JUCOs need some time to acclimate to this level too. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this level once the level of competition goes up.

Or down as well because CUSA is rated very low as a conference. We have 6 or so terrible teams at the bottom who would not be much harder then UC riverside or Northwood I would think.