Stadium

How do you lose money selling watered down beer at stadium prices?

supply exceeds demand

Insurance

TABC/compliance

lots of factors.

beer sales may increase attendance by something like 500 people, and that's being generous.

Sorry folks, but there's no silver bullet for increasing attendance to the point of a necessary Apogee expansion. The closest thing to one is winning, and we've only just begun to do that.

• Upvote 1

13 Schools serve beer in their stadiums, Cougar High and Tulane being two of them. University of Minnisota tried it and actually lost money.

Tulane sells because of the Superdome. I haven't heard if they will sell it at the new on campus stadium. Judging by their fans this past football season, and last Saturday at the basketball game, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

PROGRESSO SOUP!!!

(yes they were actually chanting that during the game)

supply exceeds demand

Insurance

TABC/compliance

lots of factors.

beer sales may increase attendance by something like 500 people, and that's being generous.

Sorry folks, but there's no silver bullet for increasing attendance to the point of a necessary Apogee expansion. The closest thing to one is winning, and we've only just begun to do that.

About 500 is what I was thinking as well. That's $7500-10,000 in ticket sales (@15-20 bucks each) if they're buying cheap seats and $3500 in beer sales (@7 bucks each) if each of those 500 only purchases 1 beer. Now maybe those factors cost more than that amount, which in my opinion is low because I'm sure more than one beer per person will be purchased. However, as I said before, I am just thinking of putting more butts in seats and if it could put 500 more butts in seats and not be a loss of money, then I view it as a good because it would be 500 more than we would have otherwise.

• Upvote 1

PROGRESSO SOUP!!!

(yes they were actually chanting that during the game)

What? Why?

Anyway, yes, it's important to remember the total increase in revenue and not just the cost of alcohol sales when you do the CBA. If 500 people purchase tickets because of alcohol sales, then as long as it costs less than, say, $10K or so per game then it's still profitable and comes with the added non-fiscal (to a degree) benefit of having the larger crowd. If attendance doesn't show any noticeable variance and the costs of providing alcohol exceed the total sales, then it isn't worth it. We could always do it on a trial basis, but that would still entail a good portion of the costs requisite for the sales anyway...so maybe a one-year trial basis would be the most reasonable way to find out how well it would work.

Pricing in the club has been $5 for 16 ounce cans of bud/miller/Coors or 12 ounces of shiner all three seasons. I expect that'll jump to $6 pretty soon. I also suspect that the markup in the main concessions will probably be higher. So likely $7 for 16 ounces.

So after we're done fighting over just how much the baby Jesus cries when people combine beer and football, the new issue will be the pricing and how unfair it is to expect working people to pay so much for a crappy american beer.

Beer sales at public events are a curious thing. They've been gouging prices on it for thirty years, and people have come to expect it. Except, somehow, at little ole North Texas, we'll expect fifty cent happy hours through the third quarter, but demand first class facilities and treatment the whole way.

supply exceeds demand

Insurance

TABC/compliance

lots of factors.

This is absolutely 100% true. Anyone thinking that just selling beer at Apogee is going to be the "magic pill" to get attendance to see a major spike upwards is kidding themselves.

But, as I have stated before, I am 100% behind beer sales at Apogee. And, a 500 person increase is 500 more than we had if that turns out to be the case relating to beer sales.

I just want them to sell it because I like to drink it while watching football.... Is that so wrong?

• Upvote 1

Seems like it was a last minute decicion to move the main video board to the south end zone instead.

Cooper Jones gave DeepGreen, SUMG and myself a short construction tour during one of DG's visits from Beumont.. We walked out on the AC Deck and asked why the video board was being moved from the wing zone to where it is now because it was now going to screw up one of the greatest aspects of our situation(an awesome view from the AC Deck overlooking the field)? Cooper said they decided that they didnt want people sitting in the wing zone to have to turn around and see it, and, that it was going to cost too much to mount the board on top of the AC Center. So they decided to block the veiw of the deck. I countered with a..."But very few people are even going to sit up in the wing zone enough to justify that".. To which he said they were certain it would.

And thinking back on it now after seeing what we gave up for what we gained I still stand by my original opinion on that. The veiw of the deck was going to be the centerpiece for the stadium and a colossal advantage point to show off Appogee to future investors and to recruits. It would have been extremely unique compared to anything any other midmajor rival would have. and now that I've seen a game in Athens, Georgia, I'm convinced it would have blown away the bridge-over view at Sanford Stadium. Giving that up for the few people that sit in the wing zone still doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Cooper Jones gave DeepGreen, SUMG and myself a short construction tour during one of DG's visits from Beumont.. We walked out on the AC Deck and asked why the video board was being moved from the wing zone to where it is now because it was now going to screw up one of the greatest aspects of our situation(an awesome view from the AC Deck overlooking the field)? Cooper said they decided that they didnt want people sitting in the wing zone to have to turn around and see it, and, that it was going to cost too much to mount the board on top of the AC Center. So they decided to block the veiw of the deck. I countered with a..."But very few people are even going to sit up in the wing zone enough to justify that".. To which he said they were certain it would.

And thinking back on it now after seeing what we gave up for what we gained I still stand by my original opinion on that. The veiw of the deck was going to be the centerpiece for the stadium and a colossal advantage point to show off Appogee to future investors and to recruits. It would have been extremely unique compared to anything any other midmajor rival would have. and now that I've seen a game in Athens, Georgia, I'm convinced it would have blown away the bridge-over view at Sanford Stadium. Giving that up for the few people that sit in the wing zone still doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is.

Rick

It's not like you could stick Cooper to anything now. He's working on his tan in Phoenix.

It's not like you could stick Cooper to anything now. He's working on his tan in Phoenix.

Weird...he played at Ohio, who we lost to this year, and now he's near me :P

Seriously though, if any of you hear of someone moving here who actually went to UNT (as opposed to just being on the staff) be sure to let me know so I can invite them out to events.