Who will be UNT's team leaders next season?

Harry

I've been thinking about this. We lose some seniors no doubt.. but when you really look at the situation from a positional standpoint there are some good starters coming back and some good talent ready to step up.

The concern is leadership. Who will be the leaders to replace Marcus Trice, Zach Orr, Derek Thompson, Brelan Chancellor, and Brandin Byrd? Those are some big shoes to fill.

On offense Y'Barbo and Lemon will be some obvious leaders and likely captains, Y'Barbo for sure. Also Jimmerson has started to take on a more vocal role and more of a leadership role. He'll likely be one of two scholarship backs healthy in the spring and hopefully continues to grow as a leader of the running backs and the offense.

On defense Akunne and Lee are the multi-year starters and seniors. Both will for sure be leaders but also James Jones. He was one of the more vocal guys on the defense this year and he can hopefully step into more of a leadership role this year.

• Upvote 2

By default the starting QB on O, hopefully DW. The Jimmy Show will take on more meaning in the fall, but I also think Pegram will come back stronger than ever. Hit ya in the mouth type back. On D it will hopefully be Akunne and Leramie Lee. I would like to see A. Wallace step up to the plate statistically on the field and vocally in the locker room. Look for K. Buyers too.

• Upvote 1

This is interesting, especially with the consideration of a RB being a vocal leader, which made me think of the depth as well as conditioning. I like that we have so many good RBs that Pegram and Rollins will be able to rehab to their fullest extent through the spring if necessary.

I'd have to say the most obvious returners to lead the team will be Y'Barbo and Lemon, but what I REALLY want to see is for Lee to infect the new guys with his killer instinct. He is always pumped and is such a hard hitter. I think he only had 1 penalty this year too, at least that I caught but there may have been more. The point is, he gets it done but doesn't go dirty, just plays hard as hell.

This is interesting, especially with the consideration of a RB being a vocal leader, which made me think of the depth as well as conditioning. I like that we have so many good RBs that Pegram and Rollins will be able to rehab to their fullest extent through the spring if necessary.

I'd have to say the most obvious returners to lead the team will be Y'Barbo and Lemon, but what I REALLY want to see is for Lee to infect the new guys with his killer instinct. He is always pumped and is such a hard hitter. I think he only had 1 penalty this year too, at least that I caught but there may have been more. The point is, he gets it done but doesn't go dirty, just plays hard as hell.

I thought Lee too but Mac always says he's real quiet.

I thought Lee too but Mac always says he's real quiet.

Quiet leadership is fine too. Judge a man more by his actions than by his words...and his actions are usually painful for somebody. If he can get some new guys to follow his example and leave the "pump up" speeches to the others...that works.

The quarterback will always (or should) be a team leader. I think Darius Terrell will step up his game and show upper class leadership, having transferred from UT. I also expect true freshmen Tee Goree and Xavier Washington to command respect, at some point in the season. This, of course, is assuming Washington finds his way to Denton. The obvious choices will be the senior Offensive Linemen.

• Upvote 1

Derek Thompson was not voted as captain this year and everyone directly around the team believed he and the group benefitted from not having that added responsibility.

I'd say it worked this year.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean he wasn't a team leader (sorry for the double negative).

Sounds likely to me. Don't worry so much about the responsibilities of being a team captain, but rather focus on leading the offensive unit.

It starts with the ones who paid their dues, made an impact with their production on the field last season and it should carry over to who leads this spring in the weight room, in drills, in meetings, and in accountability. I like Akunne, Buyers, Y'barbo, Pegram, Lemon, Jimmerson, and Evans to start with. All I want to hear from them is how they are leading this team in preparation this spring and summer to beat UT and win C-USA.

On another note, I'm just proud of coach Mac on how he helped shift the culture of this program. He is THE ultimate leader who helped the players (and fans) buy into his vision with a winning attitude and being relevant again to compete in conference play. Selling out home games is still in the works but a work in progress.

GMG