New age QB

H-towngreen

We've reached a new age in the QB position, you're seeing it all over football right. Look at what Kaepernick did against Green Bay. Go back to Soza against us. We are starting to see mobile QB's, not just athletes at the QB spot, but QB's who can run. Vick is an athlete, Kaepernick and Russel Wilson are QB's who can bolt. Look at the top QB's getting mentioned for the draft this year and next. Manziel, Mariotta, Bridgewater, Hundley. All mobile QB's, on the other end you have Bortles and that's about it.

1) it opens up the playbook. We do run many zone read plays, but how often did DT keep it though? And if he did it usually wasn't a huge play. There were multiple plays a game where we would run zone read, DT would hand off when he had wide open field in front of him. (Disclouse: not trying to talk bad about DT, he knew his capabilities with running) Where as if a mobile QB were at he helm at the least it makes defenders stay honest to him instead of crashing down on the RB. When the QB does keep you hope they can pick up more than 3 yds per play, possibly break one open every now and then.

2) Extending plays. Once the pocket collapes being able to make a move, or slide out of the pocket to keep plays alive. While watching the HOD game, the UNLV QB was driving me nuts in the first half with his ability to extend the life of plays allowing his WR's to get open.

3) Taking off if nothing is open. Even more so than just extending plays, the ability to take off when nothing else is there. Kaepernick did this multiple times last night. Nothing is more defeating that backing a team into a 3rd and 8, making for an obvious passing situation, then covering that 3rd and long perfectly downfield only to see the QB take off and pick up the 1st with his feet.

Seeing either Dajon or BB on the field can really change the offense next season.

Just a few random thoughts so that I don't actually have to work on a cold cold Monday.

• Upvote 2

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mobile-quarterback-era-not-a-thing,34490/

In support of his point, Jaworski noted that some of the quarterbacks who have in the past been touted as revolutionizing the game of football with their run-heavy approach include Vince Young, Michael Vick, and Tim Tebow

I very rarely watch NFL football. I did watch yesterday's game in Green Bay. Kaepernick looks to me like what people wanted Tebow to be. Thing is, guy keeps running like that and eventually he's gonna get just absolutely leveled a la RGIII. I'll let other people figure out the right formula for the before I go sending my QBs into the open field against hungry linebackers.

Point 2 and 3 are the most important. That's what seperates the running qbs and the athletes playing quarterback. Making the plays with their legs after the play has broken down or he has already progressed through his reads. Running before that messes with the offense.

Also, Bortles is a pretty good runner. If he wasn't surrounded by all these true dual-threats he would be touted as a Big Ben type runner.

I don't know that it's really a new thing . . . guys like Frank Tarkenton, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Brett Favre--I could go on and on--QBs known for making plays with their feet have always been around. And I don't really know how you put Teddy Bridgewater in that class. He averages about 15-20 yards rushing per game. I'm pretty sure Bortles actually has better rushing numbers.

And for all the love given Kaepernick for what he did last season, don't forget that he was beaten in the big game by a pocket passer. And in recent years, winning Super Bowl QBs tend to be pocket passers.

I will agree that the proportion of mobile QBs to primarily pocket passers is definitely rising in the NFL, though.

That was really my main point. Have there been QB's who can run prior, yes. But not in the numbers of what we're seeing now.

What I'm seeing is teams more willing to have their quarterback run down field. KC had designed runs for Alex Smith of all people. Even "drop back passer" Andrew Luck had huge run off an option this past weekend. Granted, it was the only time all year he ran off that play but it was there. A young Troy Aikman could really run but I never remember Dallas having him run any kind of play other than a sneak or roll out pass.

NFL teams are definitely more interested in looking for QB's who can run but passing ability will always be the prime factor.

I think the mobile qbs biggest asset in the NFL is to extend plays. Running for an occasional first down too.

You can become competitive a lot sooner with a mobile qb. Defenses are getting faster and it is hard to build a line where you can sit in the pocket. big Ben is not a runner, but he moves to extend plays.

The days of being a statue in the pocket are gone, with a few exceptions.

Mobile quarterbacks must be the "new" old. Francis Asbury Tarkenton made a very quick trip to NFL Hall of Fame with his running ability. He lasted about 15 years at it beginning in the early 60s...and he didn't slide. There have been many excellent running quarterbacks; even at the professional level. Mobile quarterbacks make the game more exciting and can give defenses fits.

• Upvote 1

I don't know that it's really a new thing . . . guys like Frank Tarkenton, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Brett Favre--I could go on and on--QBs known for making plays with their feet have always been around.

Could that be FRAN Tarkenton of whom you speak?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1