Think Iowa State may regret having fired Mac?

Harry

Iowa fans making fun of Iowa State fans ... shocking!

When you read Iowa State boards McCarney comes off as their Darrell Dickey. Some fans love him and wish he had stayed ... some loved him but thought it was time to go ... some are happy he was fired. He's a kind of polarizing figure among Iowa State fans.

Looking back it's easy to say firing McCarney was a bad decision. Hiring Gene Chizik to follow him was a horrible decision.

• Upvote 4

Iowa fans making fun of Iowa State fans ... shocking!

When you read Iowa State boards McCarney comes off as their Darrell Dickey. Some fans love him and wish he had stayed ... some loved him but thought it was time to go ... some are happy he was fired. He's a kind of polarizing figure among Iowa State fans.

Looking back it's easy to say firing McCarney was a bad decision. Hiring Gene Chizik to follow him was a horrible decision.

I don't remember anyone thinking Darrell Dickey should have stayed here, but your points are valid...

• Upvote 1

This just points out once again that what one coach does or does not do at one school is not a direct correlation to what might happen at their next stop. Also the "split" opinions once any coach leaves or is fired or hired. Good coaches at one school can just as easily crash at their next stop. Or, they can just as easily continue their record of success. You do the best you can given the circumstances at the time and make the best hire you can within the parameters given.

Win some....lose some. UNT fans are pretty familiar with that concept. Thank goodness Mac is leading the Mean Green. Great hire for the Mean Green.

I don't remember anyone thinking Darrell Dickey should have stayed here, but your points are valid...

He was fired halfway through the 2006 season. So after four bowl games, he gets a year and a half and then gets fired. That year and a half he was suffering from some serious health issues. I thought he should have gotten another year. I was in a small minority, I know.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

IMHO if Dickey had McCarney's attitude and enthusiasm he would have coached longer here

We'll never know. IMO, it wasn't just his attitude it was his lack of success on the recruiting trail.

Part of the deal with four straight NO Bowls is you're supposed to see some kind of bump up in recruiting. It sort of tanked, and the public perception of him was not helped by the increasing losses.

• Upvote 1

Most would have been for keeping DD around longer except for his constant badmouthing of the school (accurate or not, it was in poor taste), and the fact that we were laughably non-competitive in OOC games. Had DD coached during the Dodge years, the results would have been pretty similar. The Sun Belt that DD took behind the woodshed was nowhere near what the league has developed into the past few years.

• Upvote 1

Most would have been for keeping DD around longer except for his constant badmouthing of the school (accurate or not, it was in poor taste), and the fact that we were laughably non-competitive in OOC games. Had DD coached during the Dodge years, the results would have been pretty similar. The Sun Belt that DD took behind the woodshed was nowhere near what the league has developed into the past few years.

From what I can see with DD (was not here during this time) is that he took advantage of an incredibly weak conference and cashed checks in OOC games...personally...I think those massive 50-70 point games did more damage to this school's reputation as a football team than Todd Dodge ever did. To cap off all his crap talking...this program from the outside as a kid in DFW seemed like a dumpster fire that was a massive joke that became real when Dodge was hired...

I hate Dodge, he killed this place...but just saying...DD did more damage to UNT, IMO.

There's a reason we still averaged 17K with DD...nobody gives a damn if you beat ULM in Texas. Period. By quitting OOC, we looked like scrubs to the outsiders...nobody cared.

Ever read articles on us during the day? Pretty sure we got made fun of more than Eastern Michigan and SWAC schools.

It's a massive insult and disrespect to compare Mac to Dickey in any capacity.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

He was fired halfway through the 2006 season. So after four bowl games, he gets a year and a half and then gets fired. That year and a half he was suffering from some serious health issues. I thought he should have gotten another year. I was in a small minority, I know.

I was with you on that. Not saying that I was happy with the team's performance at that point in time, but if it weren't for the assistant issues (mainly Flannigan), and his own personal issues, I wasn't against giving him a little more time. But if "ifs and buts".....

From what I can see with DD (was not here during this time) is that he took advantage of an incredibly weak conference and cashed checks in OOC games...personally...I think those massive 50-70 point games did more damage to this school's reputation as a football team than Todd Dodge ever did. To cap off all his crap talking...this program from the outside as a kid in DFW seemed like a dumpster fire that was a massive joke that became real when Dodge was hired...

I hate Dodge, he killed this place...but just saying...DD did more damage to UNT, IMO.

There's a reason we still averaged 17K with DD...nobody gives a damn if you beat ULM in Texas. Period. By quitting OOC, we looked like scrubs to the outsiders...nobody cared.

Ever read articles on us during the day? Pretty sure we got made fun of more than Eastern Michigan and SWAC schools.

It's a massive insult and disrespect to compare Mac to Dickey in any capacity.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Aren't you a current student? Were you actually paying attention to North Texas Football when Dickey was here? Did you actually see any of Dickey's SBC championship teams?

When I got here, it was obvious that Athletics, in general, was an afterthought at the University. What Dickey did with virtually no University backing is pretty astounding.

I think you're completely wrong on this. DD did A LOT for UNT. He did win four straight conference championships. He did have back to back national rushing champions. He did take Baylor to the wood shed at Fouts. With DD I believe the other coaches respected how the team played. We got some good publicity but it quickly went away when we started losing again.

With Dodge, you saw a high school team trying to plays D1 football.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Aren't you a current student? Were you actually paying attention to North Texas Football when Dickey was here? Did you actually see any of Dickey's SBC championship teams?

When I got here, it was obvious that Athletics, in general, was an afterthought at the University. What Dickey did with virtually no University backing is pretty astounding.

No I wasn't, I said that in my post, just was from the outside. Seemed things such as DD telling off the fans, Flanigan attacking the crowd, and getting obliterated by OU was ruining this university. It's just an uninformed opinion.

Just saying from an outsider, we weren't acknowledged until Dodge came around, it seemed to me, as a young middle schooler and high schooler.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No I wasn't, I said that in my post, just was from the outside. Seemed things such as DD telling off the fans, Flanigan attacking the crowd, and getting obliterated by OU was ruining this university. It's just an uninformed opinion.

Just saying from an outsider, we weren't acknowledged until Dodge came around, it seemed to me, as a young middle schooler and high schooler.

Dickey lost 37-3, 37-10, 37-9 to OU. Dodge lost 79-10. who did more damage????

• Upvote 2

Seemed things such as DD telling off the fans,

Which was misconstrued. He wasn't calling out the fans, he was calling out the doubters, the guys who didn't pay attention to non BCS teams, the life long Dentonites who had never bothered to come to a single game, the recruiters who had passed over the players he was talking too. He had something along those lines many times to the team, this time some fans over heard it, and in my opinion, took it the wrong way.

Flanigan attacking the crowd

Unacceptable, and one of Dickey's fault was being loyal to his coaches. But then again he had to be, everyone loves to take shots at Dickey for "recruiting falling off" but always forget we used to lose 2-3 coaches every off season, often our best recruiters, because we could even afford to outbid places like ASU or ULM or Tulsa. If he wanted any of his coaches to be loyal to him and turn down better money, he had to be over loyal to them.

and getting obliterated by OU was ruining this university.

Dickey lost to OU 37-10 and 37-3, beat downs to be sure, but if you want obliteration see your boy Todge and 79-10 loss he got us.

It's just an uninformed opinion.

+1

• Upvote 3

Which was misconstrued. He wasn't calling out the fans, he was calling out the doubters, the guys who didn't pay attention to non BCS teams, the life long Dentonites who had never bothered to come to a single game, the recruiters who had passed over the players he was talking too. He had something along those lines many times to the team, this time some fans over heard it, and in my opinion, took it the wrong way.

Unacceptable, and one of Dickey's fault was being loyal to his coaches. But then again he had to be, everyone loves to take shots at Dickey for "recruiting falling off" but always forget we used to lose 2-3 coaches every off season, often our best recruiters, because we could even afford to outbid places like ASU or ULM or Tulsa. If he wanted any of his coaches to be loyal to him and turn down better money, he had to be over loyal to them.

Dickey lost to OU 37-10 and 37-3, beat downs to be sure, but if you want obliteration see your boy Todge and 79-10 loss he got us.

+1

I'm not a Todge fan. I honestly thought Dickey was the dude who lost to OU 79-10, though.

I'm not a Todge fan. I honestly thought Dickey was the dude who lost to OU 79-10, though.

That was Dodge's first game. It was on FSSW so it had a pretty decent amount of buzz. I knew we were in for a world of trouble when OU kept throwing bubble screens and our defense could not do anything about it. They were getting first downs on each one. Coach Stoops was on the opposite sideline laughing. Dodge's offense worked at times (take a look at the record books to see), but he had zero defense. Even when D-Lo came back, the defense was atrocious.

OU tries that today, and Buyers or Jones blow by their blocks and tackle the receiver for, at most, a 4-5yd gain.

That was Dodge's first game. It was on FSSW so it had a pretty decent amount of buzz. I knew we were in for a world of trouble when OU kept throwing bubble screens and our defense could not do anything about it. They were getting first downs on each one. Coach Stoops was on the opposite sideline laughing. Dodge's offense worked at times (take a look at the record books to see), but he had zero defense. Even when D-Lo came back, the defense was atrocious.

OU tries that today, and Buyers or Jones blow by their blocks and tackle the receiver for, at most, a 4-5yd gain.

Stoops is reported to have said something to the effect of...as long as they were going to run HS coverages I was going to keep running that play. I was trying to teach him something.

I have no factual knowledge of that. It was simply told to me by an OU insider friend of mine. Telling if true.