Best hoops program in DFW

GMG24

I attended the SMU UConn game today. Let me say this, unless we do something fast, and I mean very fast with regards to facilities and championships/ tournament runs. We will be buried in the rear view mirror of SMU. The new Moody is very cool and Larry Brown is bringing in big time recruit after big time recruit and landing them. I do not like to compare ours vs theirs and play the keeping up with the Jones' mentality. But, I know if I was a HS kid with talent, and I went to both schools gyms Moody would far outweigh the Pit. Anyone else have thoughts? I am really nervous about how close SMU is to national relevance.

SMU has the money and/or resources to invest in a 40+ million dollar renovation and pay a "Coach in Waiting" Tim Jankovich $700,000. The Super Pit is still not bad. SMU actually lost seating with the renovation. It doesn't bother me what SMU is doing in hoops because It does not affects UNT as much as it would in football. The AAC is a basketball league. (albeit, not the original Big East) SMU has to attract national recruits to stay competitive. SMU is already recruiting a different recruit than we are. I wouldn't worry too much. We just need to win our conference or get to the tournament. Kids want to play. We offer most kids that opportunity. And, as long as Benford is the coach, everybody will get to play. There will always be enough Jeremy Combs and Greg Wesley in Dallas for us to attract. Tony Mitchell was the exception. Additionally, we provide a great opportunity for big time transfers. For now,we just can't have UTA, UTSA and similar programs pass us.

• Upvote 4

I attended the SMU UConn game today. Let me say this, unless we do something fast, and I mean very fast with regards to facilities and championships/ tournament runs. We will be buried in the rear view mirror of SMU. The new Moody is very cool and Larry Brown is bringing in big time recruit after big time recruit and landing them. I do not like to compare ours vs theirs and play the keeping up with the Jones' mentality. But, I know if I was a HS kid with talent, and I went to both schools gyms Moody would far outweigh the Pit. Anyone else have thoughts? I am really nervous about how close SMU is to national relevance.

And I'm really excited about how close SMU is to sanctions.

• Upvote 2

LOL they won't be getting sanctioned. Kids want to play for Larry Brown as they think he can make them NBA ready which is true.

Both UCLA and Kansas went on sanctions right after he coached there. He seems to have no issue running afoul the NCAA.

• Upvote 3

SMU won't get sanctions. Larry Brown does not have to do what he used to do anymore. He is a proven coach. Even with a sanction of 1 scholarship a year…they will be the best program in Texas in the next 3 years.

If somehow we play SMU and Jankovich is their coach, there will be no mercy from him. Could be really embarrassing.

We shouldn't play them while we are so bad. They didn't play us when we were good, no reason to play them when we aren't.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to play SMU anytime...annually if possible. Up or down years for either team...who cares? Would be a great atmosphere and do wonders for both team's attendance. Atmosphere would be great. Bring 'em on! I recall UNT stepping up and beating a lot of higher rated teams. SMU is certainly beatable, but, yes, probably the cream of the DFW crop this year. Fine...won't last forever.

Seems I keep reading here a lot about how folks don't like this year's early schedule, so, why back off playing SMU?

• Upvote 1

SMU has the money and/or resources to invest in a 40+ million dollar renovation and pay a "Coach in Waiting" Tim Jankovich $700,000. The Super Pit is still not bad. SMU actually lost seating with the renovation. It doesn't bother me what SMU is doing in hoops because It does not affects UNT as much as it would in football. The AAC is a basketball league. (albeit, not the original Big East) SMU has to attract national recruits to stay competitive. SMU is already recruiting a different recruit than we are. I wouldn't worry too much. We just need to win our conference or get to the tournament. Kids want to play. We offer most kids that opportunity. And, as long as Benford is the coach, everybody will get to play. There will always be enough Jeremy Combs and Greg Wesley in Dallas for us to attract. Tony Mitchell was the exception. Additionally, we provide a great opportunity for big time transfers. For now,we just can't have UTA, UTSA and similar programs pass us.

I agree. As far as the Super Pit is concerned, it is a very good stadium but needs some renovation as well. It all comes down to money. We need money.
  • Upvote 1

Ya, I remember the day when we were recruiting a different recruit than SMU. Like 3 years ago.

those days are over.

Coaching hires matter.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

In answer to the question, I think both SMU and TCU are ahead of us,especially the Ponies. I also think SMU will draw very well in basketball. They have a good product and great venue which is in the backyard of their fan base.North Texas,on the other hand, will be lucky to average 2,000+ this year.

In answer to the question, I think both SMU and TCU are ahead of us,especially the Ponies. I also think SMU will draw very well in basketball. They have a good product and great venue which is in the backyard of their fan base.North Texas,on the other hand, will be lucky to average 2,000+ this year.

I've seen more than a few SMU home games. It will take a serious leap forward for them to start having good attendance.

Our attendance has certainly gone in the crapper, no telling when it will rebound.