UC Riverside (01/04/14)

NT03

I am much more unsure than two weeks ago as to how bad Benford is as a coach. That may be worse than if he outright sucks. I am pretty sure this team will not win the conference, but I guess if we go .250 in conference he does not get fired this season. Right now I am starting to believe he may actually manage somewhere between .250 and .500 in conference. And then we'll reload next season and will suck outright with a "young team".

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This patience offense is killng me! If Benford is going to sub 3-4 guys every 2 minute he needs to employ a more up tempo style to take advantage of this depth. Chris Jones is totally lost and ineffective, as well as the other guys, in this offense. Regardless of how inferior the opponent, they will always stay in the game with this pace. If he desires to play this style, he certainly needs to shorten his bench and allow the guys to get comfortable playing together.

Voss is ok but he is not a center. Our big men were on the bench and not able to get stops nor 2nd chance opportunities for rebounds (offensive) Unfortunately, we are absent of a speedy true point guard that looks to penetrate and kick the ball out to the shooters. To be that guard, he must be able to hit the outside shot more consistently than Chris or Alzee and break down his defender.

There doesn't seem to be a purpose on each possession. Guys pass the ball around until the shot clock runs down prior to taking a shot. Coach Benford, please keep TJ Taylor and Maurice Anfiak (sp) on the floor until they pass out! Keep Flash off the floor. Keep a big man in the game at all times (Gaines or Coleman) Push the ball up the court on each possession. Damn!

You simply ask too much. Sadly

Guys he's just keeping them fresh for when we get to the tournament all those big schools who have been playing guys 30-35 minutes a night legs will melt away. :) I think its pretty cool coach Benford showed up after the A&M game to the bowl game. That must have been a tough turn around. GMG lets just keep winning.

• Upvote 1

This patience offense is killng me! If Benford is going to sub 3-4 guys every 2 minute he needs to employ a more up tempo style to take advantage of this depth. Chris Jones is totally lost and ineffective, as well as the other guys, in this offense. Regardless of how inferior the opponent, they will always stay in the game with this pace. If he desires to play this style, he certainly needs to shorten his bench and allow the guys to get comfortable playing together.

Voss is ok but he is not a center. Our big men were on the bench and not able to get stops nor 2nd chance opportunities for rebounds (offensive) Unfortunately, we are absent of a speedy true point guard that looks to penetrate and kick the ball out to the shooters. To be that guard, he must be able to hit the outside shot more consistently than Chris or Alzee and break down his defender.

There doesn't seem to be a purpose on each possession. Guys pass the ball around until the shot clock runs down prior to taking a shot. Coach Benford, please keep TJ Taylor and Maurice Anfiak (sp) on the floor until they pass out! Keep Flash off the floor. Keep a big man in the game at all times (Gaines or Coleman) Push the ball up the court on each possession. Damn!

I like a lineup of Vaughn's, Taylor, Mo, Voss, and Gaines. That is our best lineup. When mo, Taylor, and Vaughn's are out there we always make a push. They are our best option.

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing UCR's top player & starting forward Chris Patton was out with an injury ...

Speculation is good. But only speculation. No one knows what would have happened if that guy had played. UNT has had a few injuries as well. Should we speculate a couple of more wins if UNT had no injuries? So, 11 wins now...speculating of course? Does that mean I have already won the bet? :-)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

i don't know where to find the stat, but i don't recall seeing in 5 man subs yesterday and certainly not subs every 2 minutes. he has definitely slowed down his subbing ritual.

in terms of the game, it seems, in my opinion, our guys lack the killer instinct. at A&M when we were up 14 we kept pushing knowing no lead was big enough. what i saw yesterday when up by 14 was cruise control enabled. that has got to stop. i hope conference play changes that because its frustrating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i don't know where to find the stat, but i don't recall seeing in 5 man subs yesterday and certainly not subs every 2 minutes. he has definitely slowed down his subbing ritual.

in terms of the game, it seems, in my opinion, our guys lack the killer instinct. at A&M when we were up 14 we kept pushing knowing no lead was big enough. what i saw yesterday when up by 14 was cruise control enabled. that has got to stop. i hope conference play changes that because its frustrating.

So still players' fault? Got it.

sorry if i implied its the players' fault; i simply don't know whose fault is the lack of keeping the pedal to the metal. not trying to place a blame, rather point out something i would like to see change and if changed i believe will help close out games better.

SURPRISE!!! not all my posts are about exonerating benford.

Edited by andrewrozell
  • Upvote 1

sorry if i implied its the players' fault; i simply don't know whose fault is the lack of keeping the pedal to the metal. not trying to place a blame, rather point out something i would like to see change and if changed i believe will help close out games better.

SURPRISE!!! not all my posts are about exonerating benford.

KRAM and Andrew aren't gonna let you in the tree house anymore.

• Upvote 1

I would say the meltdown was. We were up like 16 and then stopped working on offense, didn't hustle back, and missed free throws. I wish Benford hadn't pulled Vaughn's, Taylor and Aniefiok though. That is also where the tide turned. Alzee, CJ, and Jordan got loose :/

Benford can take the blame for pulling our best players though!

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I would say the meltdown was. We were up like 16 and then stopped working on offense, didn't hustle back, and missed free throws. I wish Benford hadn't pulled Vaughn's, Taylor and Aniefiok though. That is also where the tide turned. Alzee, CJ, and Jordan got loose :/

Benford can take the blame for pulling our best players though!

You do realize players read this board, right? Vomit.

• Upvote 1

You do realize players read this board, right? Vomit.

And.. They know at times they didn't hustle at times. They know they missed free throws. They will do better against souther Miss but I want to see less subbing. I want to see Vaughn's, Aniefiok, and Taylor out there for 7 or 8 minutes straight and see what kind of lead we can open up.

• Downvote 1

Only if aniefiok is having one of his good games. Dude is streaky, but when he is on he plays very well.

KRAM and Andrew aren't gonna let you in the tree house anymore.

i am a reasonable man, just like KRAM and Andrew. if it becomes clear to me that Benford is the fault for poor performance, losses, etc than i won't hesitate saying such; i just haven't seen it yet.

that isn't to say this is all the players fault either; it is simply to say the team is more capable than it appears to playing. the cause, in my opinion, is still being determined. i, unlike many, didn't make up my mind after season one and continue to seek evidence to substantiate any forgone conclusions.

i hope we can all agree we want this team to play well, to represent our conference well and, most importantly, win.
now, enough with the fodder... let's go mean green!
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Speculation is good. But only speculation. No one knows what would have happened if that guy had played. UNT has had a few injuries as well. Should we speculate a couple of more wins if UNT had no injuries? So, 11 wins now...speculating of course? Does that mean I have already won the bet? :-)

Conference cometh. I don't think we will go winless, but I really struggle looking at the schedule to find 2 wins.

That said, it would be crazy unlucky for us not to have at least 3 teams in conference just play a crappy game against us, so we should win 3.

It looks like the schedule, in the end and by the skin of Benford's teeth (a 3 point last minute win over a NAIA school), will allow Benford to just do the bare minimum to keep his job, which is what the schedule was designed to do in the first place.

And that's a shame, as it will further hurt this program (but, hey, we don't have to pay out that contract, so cheer up, boys!)

Edited by UNT90

i am a reasonable man, just like KRAM and Andrew. if it becomes clear to me that Benford is the fault for poor performance, losses, etc than i won't hesitate saying such; i just haven't seen it yet.

that isn't to say this is all the players fault either; it is simply to say the team is more capable than it appears to playing. the cause, in my opinion, is still being determined. i, unlike many, didn't make up my mind after season one and continue to seek evidence to substantiate any forgone conclusions.

i hope we can all agree we want this team to play well, to represent our conference well and, most importantly, win.

now, enough with the fodder... let's go mean green!

I don't see how it is ok to be ok with what has transpired in the last year and a half. How can you be ok with what happened last year and the terrible losses this year and then getting by by the skin of our teeth at home against the opponents we have played. I don't buy into a win is a win against the D-2 and NAIA and other bad teams we have played. How we have been winning against these teams is not acceptable. Once a year is fine, every game is not ok.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how it is ok to be ok with what has transpired in the last year and a half. How can you be ok with what happened last year and the terrible losses this year and then getting by by the skin of our teeth at home against the opponents we have played. I don't buy into a win is a win against the D-2 and NAIA and other bad teams we have played. How we have been winning against these teams is not acceptable. Once a year is fine, every game is not ok.

Swap coaches for the Norwood game. Wait three weeks, and we beat that team by 40

• Upvote 1

As was the situation with Wayland Baptist, had UCR had a deeper bench (they only had four dressed on the bench) I'm not sure we win the game. UCR's surge back into the game might have come a little too early as they likely ran out of gas at the end of the game.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

As was the situation with Wayland Baptist, had UCR had a deeper bench (they only had for dressed on the bench) I'm not sure we win the game. UCR's surge back into the game might have come a little too early as they likely ran out of gas at the end of the game.

And UCR had the ball trailing by 3 in the last minute. They chose to take the quick two when we guarded the arc, but that makes three times this season that a team we should outclass easily had the ball with te chance to tie in the last minute in the super pit.