Question regarding our defense.

SilverEagle

I've heard several comments (most recently on the ESPN broadcast) about North Texas being a second half team.....especially the defense. I have a question about that. Is it a "systems" thing, or did it take the "playmakers" on the defense a full half to get things together and get focused for the second half. I ask this because so many "playmakers" will be gone and I wonder if the pattern will be pretty much the same for the new group of guys.

Physicality makes people eventually quit.

We saw that a lot this year. Ball St. comes immediately to mind.

Getting hit hurts. Getting hit hard and often hurts worse and more frequently.

It's called physically imposing your will, and the UNT defense did that often. The addition of 2 shut down CBs also had a huge impact.

• Upvote 2

I watched eight games this season.

I started to see it as a game plan on both offense and defense.

You know that whole run up the middle super vanilla offense that had us all so up in arms all season? You know how we had one of the strongest offensive lines in college football? Did you notice how tired those opposing defenses looked in the second half of games? Did you also notice how the playbook seemed to magically open up right about that time?

On the flip side, our defense would bend a little in the first half, but would hit every runner, every receiver, and the quarterback so hard that when they would come out for the second half, they had this look in their eyes like, "Oh man, crap. We have to do this again?" Those first half hits broke their spirits.

It clicked with me at the LA Tech game, and the UTSA debacle notwithstanding, it was a consistent game plan for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 2

I thought all year long that our S&C program showed its worth in a great fashion...I've never seen a North Texas team look that much stronger than the competition in the 4th quarter of games, even the teams from the SBC run of the early 00's.

To me, this is where you can credit Dan McCarney's expertise for developing linemen--he knows how to coach 'em and he knows how to build 'em up too!!

• Upvote 2

I watched eight games this season.

I started to see it as a game plan on both offense and defense.

You know that whole run up the middle super vanilla offense that had us all so up in arms all season? You know how we had one of the strongest offensive lines in college football? Did you notice how tired those opposing defenses looked in the second half of games? Did you also notice how the playbook seemed to magically open up right about that time?

On the flip side, our defense would bend a little in the first half, but would hit every runner, every receiver, and the quarterback so hard that when they would come out for the second half, they had this look in their eyes like, "Oh man, crap. We have to do this again?" Those first half hits broke their spirits.

It clicked with me at the LA Tech game, and the UTSA debacle notwithstanding, it was a consistent game plan for the rest of the season.

Completely agree, with you and 90. By the 4th Wednesday everyone in our section, including three of Dickey's players all started talking about UNLV's defense and how they were DONE!

I've never wanted Hank to be mor correct when he mentioned on the broadcast that JS told him he feels too old to move again.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It's called physically imposing your will, and the UNT defense did that often. The addition of 2 shut down CBs also had a huge impact.

Bingo. Also, having those guys coming back will allow Skladany to continue to blitz and will allow the safeties to continue to play downhill.

Losing guys hurts, but Skladany is the man and he will make the adjustments needed. Getting the hitters in there that will make the other team quit is what we need to find.

• Upvote 1

I saw Zed Evans playing quite a bit in the secondary during the bowl game. He should be able to step right in at safety for Trice. Hope some of Trice's leadership rubbed off on him and/or Lee.

I think Akunne will have a nice year next season, and I'm optimistic about Wallace. The D-Line is most concerning to me, and we have some nice players returning there too.

I'm really not concerned about the defense as a whole or the offense, really. Biggest question on my mind is, will we be able to replace the playmaking ability we are losing. If not, we will regress a bit, but if so we should be just as good as this year. Either way, long term we are only going to get better as long as we have this coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

We even pounded on Georgia pretty good. We no doubt had a few of their guys limping into SEC play.

• Upvote 1

I agree (as I have since before the season began) that conditioning is the key that has made this a winning season. I'd also like to throw in another shout-out to Buyers. I think he made more ankle tackles this season than I've ever seen, and almost all of them were at the exact moment I was thinking, "Oh, crap, that guy is gone" (i.e. can't be caught, 1st down, TD, whatever). If he gets even better next year...well, let's just see how much better he gets next year ;)

For what it's worth I expect Anthony Wallace to step in and be a monster. I watched some HS tape of him on YouTube and dude doesn't play games. That was 3 years ago. No doubt he is faster, stronger, and bigger now.

With his size, would we even ponder the thought of moving him to the DE position?

MLB is a big void to fill in this defense. If Wallace plays up to his potential coming out of high school, we can come back with a strong defense. You have akii smith coming in at outside. There may not be much drop off at all.

I kinda see where you may be going with Wallace at end also. If he can get an end, and akii or Akunne at middle, this can get sed Ellis or Marshall at outside lb. Ellis and Marshall at outside lb is intriguing. They are extremely fast and could be a big upgrade as far as coverage. May not even have to go nickel in some cases. They are both track fast.

Either way, we have lots of talent and options at lb. I think we will be fine and whoever starts at lb will be a stud considering the competition.