North Texas Mean Green Are Lone Star State’s Waking Giant

Harry

For the last eight years there’s been a slumbering giant in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex that has finally stretched its arms, let out a big yawn and started stomping around a little. The North Texas Mean Green, led by former Iowa State Cylcones head coach Dan McCarney, took home an impressive 36-14 win over the UNLV Rebels on Wednesday in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, showing they’re back on the map in the Lone Star State.

In the early 2000s North Texas had a solid run of success under former head coach Darrell Dickey, winning four consecutive Sun Belt Conference championships from 2001-2004 and playing in four consecutive New Orleans Bowls over the same stretch, but winning only one. The stretch of 2005-2012 was a disastrous one for the Mean Green as things regressed under a number of new coaches, and the program floundered to a 13-58 record overall, effectively negating any momentum created by the success of the early 2000s.

Plenty of optimism surrounded the arrival of McCarney to Denton, and with just cause. The energetic and fiery Iowa native is slowly moving things back in the right direction, and has compiled an 18-19 record in three seasons for North Texas. Obviously, these aren’t earth shattering numbers, but the 9-4 finish this season and a noted dedication to recruiting local high school talent over the traditional focus on junior college fill-ins has several implications for the program, and the overall balance of power in college football in the state, going forward.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/2014/01/03/north-texas-mean-green-are-lone-star-states-waking-giant/?55T68xmC5hDVB3uf.99

I mean, thanks for the kind words, dude, but

The stretch of 2005-2012 was a disastrous one for the Mean Green as things regressed under a number of new coaches, and the program floundered to a 13-58 record overall,

That math just doesn't add up. Through 2012, Mac won 9 games himself. We know there were 6 wins from 2007-mid 2010. 2 more second half of 2010. That's 17 wins. I have no idea what 2005 and 2006 were.

What defines a number of coaches? Dodge and Canales?

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the the "number of new coaches" comment, but that's pretty minor compared to the butchering of our history we're used to around here. And as far as sleeping giant, the whole point of the article is that we're not just a sleeping giant anymore. The term he used in the title was "waking giant" (although the 2nd-to-last sentence undermined the entire premise of his article). But overall, it is pretty well-written, and it is most definitely good pub. I'll take it.

• Upvote 1

I mean, thanks for the kind words, dude, but

That math just doesn't add up. Through 2012, Mac won 9 games himself. We know there were 6 wins from 2007-mid 2010. 2 more second half of 2010. That's 17 wins. I have no idea what 2005 and 2006 were.

What defines a number of coaches? Dodge and Canales?

From '05 to '12 we were 22-73.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/NorthTexas.htm

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

2935565-wrinkled-one-dollar-bill-over-a-

Nah, Harry. You know how I feel about the whole hundred dollar thing. You also know how I feel about the perceived media conspiracy against UNT.

Right now is certainly a time of celebration.

But that was fundamentally shoddy writing. It's an unfortunate reality of modern internet blogs and "journalism." Fact check? Nah. It's the internet. It's not that the guy intentionally slighted UNT. He just didn't try very hard to get his facts right. Has nothing to do with UNT.

Bottom line, we got a bowl win in front of a whole bunch of new/fair weather/previously uncaring fans on Wednesday. This should be a HUGE advance for our program.

• Upvote 1

I really appreciate the positive pub, but I really get tired of the "sleeping giant" term.

To be fair they did say "waking giant" which has to be better than the sleeping one.

North Texas Mean Green Are Lone Star State’s Waking Giant.

I really appreciate the positive pub, but I really get tired of the "sleeping giant" term.

How about.........

North Texas is leaving behind its long time role as one of the Wizard of Oz's munchkins for a much higher profile role as Paul Bunyan along with his blood-splattered axe and one nasty, filthy attitude?

Carry on....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1