DRC: Breakout season, bowl win change game for UNT

Brett Vito

More positive talk than before, especially after the bowl game win. The local car dealerships and banks with the giant electronic highway signs are displaying "UNT HoD Bowl Champs" - type messages. It's not at the level of UT crazy, but it's on the way.

The bowl win was a big deal, the win over A&M was a big deal and it's paying off. The city already knows UNT is a solid academic institution, the athletic part is now getting some more attention. The DMN and DRC press is really helping it take off.

"Midterm junior college transfer Josh Greer and sophomore Dajon Williams are expected to battle to replace Thompson when spring practice begins in a few weeks."

Not even a mention of BB or McNulty? Hmmm....

im not on twitter so i cant prove it (just trust me on this) but DT, in a tweet to little Mac, seems to think the team is going to be little Mac's team next year... you can never tell what is gonna happen but i think there is a really good reason why Andrew has been getting the scrap minutes this year. hopefully the competition is going to be fierce and bring the absolute best out of them because we need to stomp out UT next season!!!

im not on twitter so i cant prove it (just trust me on this) but DT, in a tweet to little Mac, seems to think the team is going to be little Mac's team next year... you can never tell what is gonna happen but i think there is a really good reason why Andrew has been getting the scrap minutes this year. hopefully the competition is going to be fierce and bring the absolute best out of them because we need to stomp out UT next season!!!

I saw that too but McNulty ain't getting the job.

For those in Denton how is the win, this team being treated amongst citizens? Are people talking about it, are the usual football haters saying anything positive?

There were some pretty freaking weird "football haters" in the stands getting real pumped and excited. I think this bowl bid/location and a win was one of the best things that could have happened for us.

There were some pretty freaking weird "football haters" in the stands getting real pumped and excited. I think this bowl bid/location and a win was one of the best things that could have happened for us.

The arty side of Denton showed up. Lots of beards and nerd glasses. (No offense intended, this is a good thing, we have to get the arty side of campus who hang out at Big Mikes to the games.) Many of my English department friends were at the game. Unusual! Just surprised to see the dudes like me who hang out at Dan's and Pascall's at the game. This is what we've got to engage with.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The arty side of Denton showed up. Lots of beards and nerd glasses. (No offense intended, this is a good thing, we have to get the arty side of campus who hang out at Big Mikes to the games.) Many of my English department friends were at the game. Unusual! Just surprised to see the dudes like me who hang out at Dan's and Pascall's at the game. This is what we've got to engage with.

I never thought that demographic was a problem. Maybe because that is the crowd I ran with and my friends and I made it to all the games.

Also, I don't see MiniMac being the starter, he is a solid at the hand-off but that is about it. I just still can't believe Berglund can not get in the mix. But I trust Mac.

I notice there were HUGE beer lines -- and I observed a lot of UNT fans drinking beers... in fact 3 out of every 5 fans I saw seemed to have a cold one in their hand or were in line for one. i would love to see what our bar tab was for that game lol!

....I love those guys, Thompson said of UNTs seniors. Id take a bullet for every single one of them.".....

....or stand in front of a freight train by the likes of a John Taylor for UGA.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/john_taylor_793125.html

Lets see which one of our back ups can get back up after getting freight-trained by a 6'4", 336 lb monster like that dude?

I'm telling ya, after seeing Derek take the punishment he did against Georgia and keep getting back up was what truly made me understand how badly the guy wanted the job and how tough he really is. I wonder if we have anyone else who can physically and mentally take the heat and still deliver? This is why I have said several times now, we will miss DT more than any other player next year.

The word I hear from inside the team is that Lil' Mac is the guy. I find it difficult to believe after what little we have seen. But the players seem to think he has the "it" factor. We shall see come September.

Rick

I notice there were HUGE beer lines -- and I observed a lot of UNT fans drinking beers... in fact 3 out of every 5 fans I saw seemed to have a cold one in their hand or were in line for one. i would love to see what our bar tab was for that game lol!

Good example of why we should allow beer at Apogee. No one seemed to rowdy just saw a few kids who were my age who stumbled up the stairs.
  • Upvote 2

FWIW, I had McNulty slightly ahead of Thompson at the end of spring. I didn't see Williams practice in the fall, so I don't know how McNulty compares to him. But one time this season when Thompson went out (briefly) with an injury, some fans around me and FFR expressed concern that McNulty was our only option at that point. The parents of one of the DB's (I think he wears #31) was sitting in front of us. The dad turned around and said "not to worry, this kid's got game".

Isn't that the main quality that everyone has been talking about regarding #7 on this thread?

I never thought that demographic was a problem. Maybe because that is the crowd I ran with and my friends and I made it to all the games.

Also, I don't see MiniMac being the starter, he is a solid at the hand-off but that is about it. I just still can't believe Berglund can not get in the mix. But I trust Mac.

That's the crowd I run with but I can't get them to attend any games. Haha.

The word I hear from inside the team is that Lil' Mac is the guy. I find it difficult to believe after what little we have seen. But the players seem to think he has the "it" factor. We shall see come September.

Rick

If you haven't already, give the MGRN broadcast of the bowl game a listen. Specifically, at the end when they put Andrew in mop up duty. They mention he has a ton of respect from the players and staff, and that the staff intends to make sure he has a role - on the field - for this team moving forward.

DT is one tough tough dude. Can't wait to see what the next wave of QBs is like. Let's hope we don't have to wait nearly 10 years like we have since Scott Hall. The next guy will have a nice crop of weapons to spread the ball around too. I hope the OL keeps up.

DE? Do you mean DW?

Fixed.

People forget DW had already passed everyone but DT on the depth chart for the Idaho game.

DT and DW were getting ALL the practice reps the Thursday before the opener. Saw it with my own eyes.

I think Mac sat DW down when he realized DT could pilot the ship.

Oh, I'm sure DW was somehow injured...

Edited by UNT90

Fixed.

People forget DW had already passed everyone but DT on the depth chart for the Idaho game.

DT and DW were getting ALL the practice reps the Thursday before the opener. Saw it with my own eyes.

I think Mac sat DW down when he realized DT could pilot the ship.

Oh, I'm sure DW was somehow injured...

My main reasoning for saying Josh Greer will be the starter is he has a very similar style to DT. He will adjust to our offense pretty easily. I know a lot on here are pulling for Dajon though.

My main reasoning for saying Josh Greer will be the starter is he has a very similar style to DT. He will adjust to our offense pretty easily. I know a lot on here are pulling for Dajon though.

Josh is the big unknown. It may come down to Mac wanting a game manager over the better athlete. I hope not.

I think BB and Baby Mac are so far behind in this competition it's not even funny. Baby Mac simply doesn't have the arm strength to be an every down QB at this level and BB apparently just hasn't clicked. There are rumors about ball security and tucking and running when the 1st read doesn't work out, but those are just rumors. What is crystal clear is that BB was the #4 QB coming out of fall practice.

Interesting Spring ahead of us, indeed.

Josh is the big unknown. It may come down to Mac wanting a game manager over the better athlete. I hope not.

I think BB and Baby Mac are so far behind in this competition it's not even funny. Baby Mac simply doesn't have the arm strength to be an every down QB at this level and BB apparently just hasn't clicked. There are rumors about ball security and tucking and running when the 1st read doesn't work out, but those are just rumors. What is crystal clear is that BB was the #4 QB coming out of fall practice.

Interesting Spring ahead of us, indeed.

McCarney is just so old school that I could see that being the case. I think out of all of them, BB is probably the most athletic, but from what I've heard his unpredictability on the field is what is putting him on the bench. I definitely think he favors Baby Mac because of his connection to his dad and would want him to be the starter if he was good enough, but he's just not good enough. I think we'll get a better sense of who may be the starter during the Spring game for sure.