Bowl Experience

wardly

For those of us who have attended both the New Orleans Bowl and Heart of Dallas Bowl, how would you compare your experience?

Kinda hard to play favorites. I don't recall expecting to win against Cincy but I did expect us to defeat UNLV.

Went to all 4 NOB's. Love the city of New Orleans and the efforts the city puts into welcoming its guests.

Everyone remembers and enjoys their "first time," so NOB 1 has that going for it.

Beating Cinn and seeing the diarrhea/disgust face of that QB makes that NOB my favorite.

But having so many of my "regulars" with me on New Years Day for the game in the Cotton Bowl made it special....the special-ist.

I will go with HOD.

GMG

(today = least productive work day ever)

• Upvote 1

Never went to NOB, wasn't here yet. I did go to the Holiday Bowl last year for Baylor v. UCLA. I thought HOD was good, but really felt like a conference game in that we were playing such a beatable opponent that traveled virtually no one. I think HOD v. Big 10 team would feel a lot different!

• Upvote 1

I agree with ColoradoEagle above. The game experience was much better yesterday, but the New Orleans factor overall is hard to beat.

UNLV was a team, that NT should have beat and they did a good job of it. IMO, all the NO Bowl opponents were better teams. The big factor in the Bowl was the great NT crowd.

Never went to NOB, wasn't here yet. I did go to the Holiday Bowl last year for Baylor v. UCLA. I thought HOD was good, but really felt like a conference game in that we were playing such a beatable opponent that traveled virtually no one. I think HOD v. Big 10 team would feel a lot different!

The only other bowl game I've been too was a completely different atmosphere with a packed Qualcomm stadium.

But we've got to think of this a stepping stone. I wasn't here for the NO Bowl run either, but there were enough people still around that gave me the feeling nobody ever really expected to win those. It was a fun trip for everybody, apparently coaches and some players included.

This time around, the team took it on as a challenge and rose to the occasion something fierce. The stadium was nearly empty on the press box side, and the continent size dimensions of the stadium more or less prevented me from hearing how loud our side was or even anything in the band beyond the drums.

60,000 fans witnesses to a loss against a Big 10 program would not have been progress.

At our age my wife and I are pretty much duds on New Years evening,plus my college roommate from the 60's and his wife came in overnight for the HOD game.However, I bet it would have been a great experience to have stayed at the Omni, gone to the UNT party and then the game the next day.Ah,to go back 25 years ago when I drank.However children, that's a story for another day.

As far as game experience, The HOD bowl wins hands down, plus what the win means, makes it a landslide.

As for the experience surrounding the game, I'd say NOB. I didn't get to do many of the events surrounding the game. I think part of that was due to juggling routine life into the bowl and events. It is a different feel when you take several days off, travel to the bowl game, and sightsee and do nothing but bowl events.

I had a good time pre-gaming. MGN showed up nicely. A shame that HOD couldn't have invited a more regional team. P5 or not, just more regional. That place could have been rocking with 18-20k fans from a school such as Nebraska, Iowa, or even team like NIU would have been better.

Seemed like there was very little pomp and circumstance @ HOD. Almost as if they said here's a football go play. Oh well We had a blast and won the Damon thing so can't complain.

What would you have liked to have seen specifically? More pre-game pageantry other than just the two bands or what? I've been to the Army-Navy game...you want pre-game pomp and circumstance? Go to that game in person. Simply greatness! Loved every second of it...just like Zi did the Mean Green win in the HOD Bowl yesterday.

What do you think HOD could have done to add to the pomp and circumstance?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

“It was a heck of a game. … Keep playing like that and we might become season ticket holders,” Dan Coza said as they faded into the parking lot along with other members of the Mean Green Nation.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140101-mean-green-wins.ece

I'm sore'eeeeee (Norm Hitzghes saying "sorry") but that's tantamount to seeing the 2'nd Coming of the Messiah (in person) and then saying.

...If "He" keeps on doing stuff like that we might actually become converts.

Moral of..........."THAT" ? ;)

What the heck else more does a fan need after they've been around 35,000 other Mean Green fans, see the best gol' darned College Marching Band in the Land (Drum Line,too) and watch Coach Dan McCarney's mighty Mean Green win on national TV at a New Years Day Bowl game in Big D ?

I'm sore'eeeee.....but I just don't get it sometimes with a few who live in the shadows of Denton's largest employer & producer of many cash-paying customers (students) for the locals, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well If you didn't like the area arround the Cotton Bowl or the lack of fun filled bars and restaurants nearby I can think of one Dallas mayor whom famously said that no city would accept the deal to build a certain "Star Wars" themed stadium and development (the day after Arlington made the deal and has recouped their investment) and made it her mission to clean up a formerly famous place for Music, Bars, and all day eating (now most of the buildings remain vacant and the homeless population exponentially grew in the area). I can't remember her name can anyone remind me what it is?

Edited by DCB
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2002 N.O. Bowl.

I have been to numerous bowl games over the years, from the Blue Bonnet to the original Cotton to the Fort Worth and Armed Forces Bowls. Your not going to get a lot of the usual bowl fanfare experience at the HOD bowl because it is a charity event that tries to keep as much of its proceeds as it can. And I believe the HOD raised $100,000 for the homeless yesterday.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Well If you didn't like the area arround the Cotton Bowl or the lack of fun filled bars and restaurants nearby I can think of one Dallas mayor whom famously said that no city would accept the deal to build a certain "Star Wars" themed stadium and development (the day after Arlington made the deal and has recouped their investment) and made it her mission to clean up a formerly famous place for Music, Bars, and all day eating (now most of the buildings remain vacant and the homeless population exponentially grew in the area). I can't remember her name can anyone remind me what it is?

Laura Miller

What would you have liked to have seen specifically? More pre-game pageantry other than just the two bands or what? I've been to the Army-Navy game...you want pre-game pomp and circumstance? Go to that game in person. Simply greatness! Loved every second of it...just like Zi did the Mean Green win in the HOD Bowl yesterday.

What do you think HOD could have done to add to the pomp and circumstance?

You live to pick fights. It was great. Wasn't really complaining I just expect more game presentation since it is a bowl game. Simply stating something I thought. I didn't get to go to NO Bowl so I didn't have a comparison. No big deal. I'm enjoying this win so just chill. Were all good here. You don't have to get defensive about everything. Have a lovely evening. Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 5

You live to pick fights. It was great. Wasn't really complaining I just expect more game presentation since it is a bowl game. Simply stating something I thought. I didn't get to go to NO Bowl so I didn't have a comparison. No big deal. I'm enjoying this win so just chill. Were all good here. You don't have to get defensive about everything. Have a lovely evening.

What fight? You posted that you would have liked more pageantry. I just asked what you would have liked to have seen and gave an example of a game with lots of that pomp and circumstance. If you don't like honest questions and discussions get the heck off a discussion board. Talk about having a chip on your shoulder...get over yourself. And, who the hell said you were complaining? You have a guilty conscience or something? Grow up a bit and get that stick out of your rear end. No intent in my question other than to see what you would like to have seen! Talk about over reacting and jumping to conclusions. Geeeeezzzzzzz Louise! Grow up!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7