Big thank you to The City of Dallas and an idea

Harry

Whether it was the Omni hotel, that awesome Omni sports bar, the Big D NYE celebration that my kids so enjoyed...Babb's Barbeque, the skyline proudly displaying UNT letters and colors, the Tower Club hospitality, the parking guy at the Cotton Bowl who helped me find my way... I had OUTSTANDING service and support from every single person and business I came into contact with around this Dallas bowl experience.

In fact, I will go a step further...if I were RV I would seriously consider trying to schedule a neutral game at the Cotton bowl every season preferably during the State Fair. I think we would bring a great crowd and since most of us don't live in downtown it gives us an opportunity to visit and enjoy the sites. I know that La. Tech played a game there during the State Fair last year --- why not us? It would seem to me that this could be a great partnership and allow us to continue building inroads into Dallas.

Thoughts?

Whether it was the Omni hotel, that awesome Omni sports bar, the Big D NYE celebration that my kids so enjoyed...Babb's Barbeque, the skyline proudly displaying UNT letters and colors, the Tower Club hospitality, the parking guy at the Cotton Bowl who helped me find my way... I had OUTSTANDING service and support from every single person and business I came into contact with around this Dallas bowl experience.

In fact, I will go a step further...if I were RV I would seriously consider trying to schedule a neutral game at the Cotton bowl every season preferably during the State Fair. I think we would bring a great crowd and since most of us don't live in downtown it gives us an opportunity to visit and enjoy the sites. I know that La. Tech played a game there during the State Fair last year --- why not us? It would seem to me that this could be a great partnership and allow us to continue building inroads into Dallas.

Thoughts?

No problem scheduling it as a neutral site game so long as we can keep our 6 home games at Apogee.

• Upvote 5

Thoughts?

Gee, I think we have a long term series with a certain Dallas team coming up.

• Upvote 2

A few months ago, heck even a few days ago, I would have said "Hell NO!" But now that our fans showed we can bring a big crowd to Cotton Bowl I'd totally be down IF we can get a name opponet that can bring a big crowd of their own.

And yes, keeping our 6 home games is a must

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

Not really for a game in Dallas deal. 5 years from now if we're constantly selling out Apogee and are in talks of expanding to 50K because of demand then maybe but until then let's pass on that for now. That's just too huge of a stadium and even though it was a very good crowd yesterday there was still over 50K empty seats. But either way 6 Apogee home games is a must and anything less than that is inexcusable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't disagree, but given a choice...give me Apogee!

I'll take Apogee over the Cotton Bowl. I mean, it's a historical site and the Fair Park stuff is a nice thing to see as you walk up, but when it gets down to game time, the acoustics, sight lines ---- really everything else about Apogee is better than the Cotton Bowl aside from capacity. So, to back that statement up - partner with DART and DCTA again. Set up special packages that get fans from the various DART sites in Dallas, up the Green Line, to the DCTA terminal in downtown Denton, on the DCTA buses and onto campus.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

when it gets down to game time, the acoustics, sight lines ---- really everything else about Apogee is better than the Cotton Bowl aside from capacity.

Recruiting? Playing a game at the Cotton Bowl during the state fair or Cowboys stadium anytime creates a recruiting visibility with kids that you just can't get at home. Some pretty good high school players within a few minutes of either location that might not make a trip to Denton.

• Upvote 1

Use the Cotton Bowl to do a 1 and 1 series with an AQ powerhouse. Get Nebraska or LSU here for a game there or get a team like Clemson or Florida State here. Apogee is great for everyone else we schedule or would schedule us up here. Since Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas already play annual games here, that will be tough to get them here. And since Tech and Baylor play here in the Metroplex every year, that would be tough, too, although Apogee would hold up a crowd for either of those two teams. This doesn't even count the games these teams play here against TCU or SMU.

Another team to get after for an opponent for a bigger series is Okie State--get them for a 2 for 2, with one of the games in Denton and one in Dallas, if needed. But they just get a game with TCU every other year, so you could them for the years that TCU goes to Stillwater.

I've always felt a Cotton Bowl game during the State Fair that featured us against a Nebraska or Okie State would get a huge crowd. But its a pipedream for now, since our OOC schedule is booked out for so long with the $$$ games we always play on the road and the $$$ games we are now paying FCS and FBS dregs to play at Apogee every year, plus the SMU and Army games.

• Upvote 3

Use the Cotton Bowl to do a 1 and 1 series with an AQ powerhouse. Get Nebraska or LSU here for a game there or get a team like Clemson or Florida State here. Apogee is great for everyone else we schedule or would schedule us up here. Since Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas already play annual games here, that will be tough to get them here. And since Tech and Baylor play here in the Metroplex every year, that would be tough, too, although Apogee would hold up a crowd for either of those two teams. This doesn't even count the games these teams play here against TCU or SMU.

Another team to get after for an opponent for a bigger series is Okie State--get them for a 2 for 2, with one of the games in Denton and one in Dallas, if needed. But they just get a game with TCU every other year, so you could them for the years that TCU goes to Stillwater.

I've always felt a Cotton Bowl game during the State Fair that featured us against a Nebraska or Okie State would get a huge crowd. But its a pipedream for now, since our OOC schedule is booked out for so long with the $$$ games we always play on the road and the $$$ games we are now paying FCS and FBS dregs to play at Apogee every year, plus the SMU and Army games.

I realize this probably can't happen next year but hopefully they will consider it in the future. You can't ignore what an outstanding event this was for UNT and I mean ALL of UNT -- they got more free exposure from the last week then they got in the entire year. This was the BIGGEST turnout/crowd and most positive exposure I have EVER seen UNT experience and I have been following the program since before 1990...you just can't ignore this!

I like the idea, even for a 6th or 7th home game, but I know a lot of people will disagree and say we need to find ways to get recruits and disconnected alumni to Apogee instead. I think the cause and effect is in the opposite order - reach out by doing a Cotton Bowl game now, and the attachment to the program will grow to where Apogee is regularly full, not the other way around.

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of getting a conference foe currently not rolling through town at Jerryworld or the Cotton Bowl. Perhaps we could get an ACC squad like FSU, Clemson or Miami to battle with during the State Fair. I believe Jerry brings in the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 regularly. You get a Louisville in Dallas and perhaps you carve out a relationship with a conference who wants a nitch in this market.

I will say that we MUST pull the shackles off ourselves in regard to our marketing. We must market to all of Dallas with billboards about the upcoming season. Throw up some great boards congratulating your Heart of Dallas Bowl Champions - North Texas Mean Green.

The fences are in our brain. Denton is where Apogee is, but our market is North Texas - Dallas, Fort Worth, Allen, Southlake, the Colony, Oak Cliff, Frisco...Those new faces we saw yesterday come from all of these places and beyond!

GMG

I will say that we MUST pull the shackles off ourselves in regard to our marketing. We must market to all of Dallas with billboards about the upcoming season. Throw up some great boards congratulating your Heart of Dallas Bowl Champions - North Texas Mean Green.

Couldnt agree more! Just passed by a couple signs off the tollway that said Heart of Dallas Bowl Champions, Go Mean Green!

GMG

• Upvote 3

I like the idea of getting a conference foe currently not rolling through town at Jerryworld or the Cotton Bowl. Perhaps we could get an ACC squad like FSU, Clemson or Miami to battle with during the State Fair. I believe Jerry brings in the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 regularly. You get a Louisville in Dallas and perhaps you carve out a relationship with a conference who wants a nitch in this market.

The fences are in our brain. Denton is where Apogee is, but our market is North Texas - Dallas, Fort Worth, Allen, Southlake, the Colony, Oak Cliff, Frisco...Those new faces we saw yesterday come from all of these places and beyond!

GMG

I don't want any part of playing FSU any time soon. Miami would be good, K-State, Notre Dame, something like that would be great. Big name, but not a current top 10 program (or even top 25).

• Upvote 2

Thoughts?

I have been an advocate for an annual game at the Cotton Bowl for years. It would be good for recruiting, good for our Dallas fan base, and good for that storied old stadium that will always be the ONLY Cotton Bowl as for as I'm concerned. Indeed, I'm so optimistic after yesterday, that I think we may soon need the Cotton Bowl while we enlarge Aopgee.
  • Upvote 2

Playing at the cotton bowl for a regular season game is a bad idea. Bring the fans to Denton and put their butts in Apogee. It does start with marketing. The furthest away billboard on i35 is just south of Lake Lewisvile, that I have seen. And it's about the school in general, not athletics. There is a electronic billboard near the Corinth exit that changes it's ad every 10 seconds. That one does a good job showing athletic events, but that's about 5 miles from the school. These need to start being placed in the heart of DFW. Let's bring them to us, market better, way better.

• Upvote 1