This should count...

meangreener

It will count if, as I hope & pray, those who attended their first game yesterday caught Mean Green fever. If those watching at home realize they missed out on witnessing something special in person. It will count if it makes it all that more easier to #hit30k repeatedly next year starting with SMU.

Thanks for all your hard work in helping to build awareness and get butts in seats!

• Upvote 2

Y'know, we did #hit30k. They hit 9, and we hit 30. Not at Apogee, but still, what a turnout. Great job Mean Green nation.

No way to really know how many of the 38k were UNLV fans, but from an unscientific view of the Red portion in the stands, I'll maybe give them 3k. That would give UNT a solid 35k showing of fans.

Of those 35k, my guess is that the number of students was much less than what we can get at Apogee simply because of cost, logistics, etc.

No reason that we can't fill Apogee if we keep this momentum going!

Just think... had we played a team that traveled 10k of their fans to the game, we would have broken the HOD attendance record yesterday.

• Upvote 3

Just think... had we played a team that traveled 10k of their fans to the game, we would have broken the HOD attendance record yesterday.

At this stage of the game, I'll take the bowl win in front of probably 15,000 new/casual fans over a possible loss to a P5 opponent. Perception. Yesterday we won. Decidedly. Great perception. Had we played and lost to a P5 school, 15,000 people would've left the game thinking, "Same ole' UNT."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

At this stage of the game, I'll take the bowl win in front of probably 15,000 new/casual fans over a possible loss to a P5 opponent. Perception. Yesterday we won. Decidedly. Great perception. Had we played and lost to a P5 school, 15,000 people would've left the game thinking, "Same ole' UNT."

Exactly. At this point, it's all about the W.

• Upvote 1

I don't think UNLV had 500 there including their band.

I was surprised that only 38K was the announced attendance because that appears to be an accurate butts in the seats count. The Armed Service Bowl for example with a slightly higher announced attendance didn't seem close to the crowd at the Cotton Bowl.

I think that is very, very generous. 1,500 - tops.

Yeah, I'd say a thousand to fifteen hundred. Most of those on the west side seemed to be NT'ers or casual football fans off the street. We walked over there for awhile in the 3rd quarter, and you really had to view the Mean Green Nation from that vantage point to totally take it all in. Awesome.

Yup - agree 1000% that it's all about the W's. I thought a lot about our HOD opponent while watching a pretty good Rice team get physically manhandled by an average SEC team - Mississippi State. While I would like to think that we would have fared better against a team like Miss St., winning yesterday at the HOD Bowl does so much more for our program.

Speaking of Rice and the Liberty Bowl, the Mean Green Nation will travel much better to next year's Liberty Bowl than Rice did this year :thumbsu:

Speaking of Rice and the Liberty Bowl, the Mean Green Nation will travel much better to next year's Liberty Bowl than Rice did this year :thumbsu:

I agree with the sentiment, but it probably won't be the Liberty Bowl that Mean Green Nation will be heading to next season...

per the Liberty Bowl website:

"The AutoZone Liberty Bowl and Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced today a new six-year agreement between the AutoZone Liberty Bowl and the Big 12 Conference. The new agreement will include the 2014 through 2019 college football seasons. The Big 12 is a new addition to the Bowl’s line-up. The opponent for the Big 12 in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl will be the Southeastern Conference. Thus, the AutoZone Liberty Bowl will be featuring two of the top conferences in college football."

http://www.libertybowl.org/component/content/article/52

• Upvote 1

No way to really know how many of the 38k were UNLV fans, but from an unscientific view of the Red portion in the stands, I'll maybe give them 3k. That would give UNT a solid 35k showing of fans.

Of those 35k, my guess is that the number of students was much less than what we can get at Apogee simply because of cost, logistics, etc.

No reason that we can't fill Apogee if we keep this momentum going!

Yesterday was a huge step toward meeting this so very important prime objective (as expressed in bold letters) for our school's football program to move forward. We can no longer afford to go back to our 3 steps forward--5 back days again.

Never thought I was going to live long enough to witness what I saw yesterday at the historic Cotton Bowl. Now I'm getting greedy, I want to see it happen again and again and again and.....

KUDO's to all our fans for setting the HOD Bowl's most tickets ever sold by any one school award! Damn! I'm Proud To Be Mean Green!

GMG!

PS: City of Denton, UNT or whoever: Please get us more access roads in and out of Apogee Stadium and the Mean Green Village. We are going to need them sooner than later. Thanks in advance!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I agree with the sentiment, but it probably won't be the Liberty Bowl that Mean Green Nation will be heading to next season...

per the Liberty Bowl website:

"The AutoZone Liberty Bowl and Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced today a new six-year agreement between the AutoZone Liberty Bowl and the Big 12 Conference. The new agreement will include the 2014 through 2019 college football seasons. The Big 12 is a new addition to the Bowl’s line-up. The opponent for the Big 12 in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl will be the Southeastern Conference. Thus, the AutoZone Liberty Bowl will be featuring two of the top conferences in college football."

http://www.libertybowl.org/component/content/article/52

If so, I hope CUSA makes the HOD Bowl it's #1 Bowl. Loved playing on New Year's Day at the historic Cotton Bowl where so many of our fans got to experience the greatness that is the Mean Green!

• Upvote 4

Great to have shot the bull with ya', KRAM1! (My bullet proof vest worked quite well, too--did yours)? :)

GMG!

Indeed it did, Plumm, indeed it did! Great day to be part of the Mean Green Nation! Great seeing you as well...

Now...go get something to eat! Let's not forget the important stuff!

• Upvote 1

I'd say, out of the 38,380 official attendance, UNLV fans made up maybe 1,380.

I think 37k is a very nice showing and I know HOD will love to bring UNT back in the future. I think a B1G opponent would have pushed the Mean Green attendance up to 40k at least.

Makes it funny to think back at one point how there were thoughts about inviting Rice instead of us had they not won the CCG.