ESPN Instant Analysis: North Texas 36, UNLV 14

Harry

What it means: This is a huge win for North Texas. It marks the Mean Green's third bowl win in school history and first since 2002. It had been a while since they've even been to a bowl game (2004 was their last trip) but Dan McCarney and Co. appear to be headed in the right direction. After finishing 4-8 a year ago, finishing 9-4 this season is a nice turnaround for the Mean Green.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/92226/instant-analysis-north-texas-36-unlv-14

After finishing 4-8 a year ago, finishing 9-4 this season is a nice turnaround for the Mean Green.

I would say it was a great year but one that was so very close to being even greater. This team was close in and legitimately could have won every game outside of Georgia and even that game was looking good for 3 quarters. The future certainly looks brighter than it has in many moons.

• Upvote 2

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this. I just watched today's College Gameday. They mentioned all of the Bc$ bowels, obviously, but no mention of our game today. We were the ONLY game they did not even mention. They mentioned the FCS Championship game this Saturday. They even mentioned the NHL Winter Classic, which is on ANOTHER NETWORK. But they could not make a single statement about the 6th bowl game on today.

God, I so hate ESPN.

If you watch the tiny highlight spot featured with the recap, the only 2 big things they mention are Rice Jr. getting his first TD in his last game, and Brelan's run followed by the crazy 2-point conversion. They say something like, "Those guys know how the game is played" and hint that the UNLV guys didn't seem to know that was possible (I'd agree based on how weird that whole thing was, they didn't seem to be going after it once it came down but it all happened so fast it was hard to tell). Aside from the defensive 1-point conversion (2003?) that was one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen us score on.

Edit: I wish they'd played a bit on having 2 of the biggest names in NFL HOF history there...Rice and Greene. Certainly don't mind that he got to see his kid get his only TD against us, since it gets more visibility for the game. If we had lost, I'd probably feel differently about it ;)

Edited by JesseMartin