Derek Thompson is a Mean Green Hero

I wonder what would happen if you showed the UNT record books and DT's stats to someone outside UNT and asked them to say yes or no to putting him in UNT's HOF.

10 out of 10 would put him in.

That's part of the problem. Looking at stats instead of watching the actual players/games and understanding the different era's. Derek Thompson just finished playing 13 games. (12 regular season games, instead of 10, and a bowl game) 50% of teams today play an extra game because of the ton of new bowls added since the 70-80's. (compared to maybe 10% back in the day). Though Ken Washington (1972-1976) is legitimately in the Hall, they only played 10 games in 1975. (I believe 1 year, the team only played 9). A few years before, freshmen were not even allowed to play. Wasn't that long ago that every offense in America ran the ball more than throwing it. (with the QB under center) In fact, the saying was that if you threw the ball more than 30 times, you were losing.

Can anyone see Thompson under center a whole game? How about running the wishbone or veer? You can't compare stats from different era's; where everyone today runs the spread offense with the QB in the shot gun and at least 4 Wide Receivers.

I came on board in 1975 (Hayden Fry) when Ken Smith and Glen Roy were the 2nd and 3rd string QB's to Ken Washington. Glen Roy was a Derek Thompson clone. (but 3rd string) Jordan Case, another legit Hall of Famer was the backup to Washington the next year or two. His numbers would not compare to any modern QB because of the systems in place and the number of games played. (Ramsey was before my time). I'm not trying to knock Derek Thompson but to compare him to Ken Washington, Jordan Case and Steve Ramsey, Please!

• Upvote 2

People keep mentioning his stats. Where does he rank in interceptions or pick sixes? Honestly, I'd like to know, can't find the info

UNT career interception leaders

1. Steve Ramsey 67

2. Mitch Maher 50

3. Vidal Carlin 47

4. Jason Mills 37

5. Giovanni Vizza 36

UNT records only listed the top 5.

Derek Thompson had 34.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. Steve Ramsey 67

2. Mitch Maher 50

3. Vidal Carlin 47

4. Jason Mills 37

5. Giovanni Vizza 36

Derek Thompson had 34.

Goofy stats without attempts and TDs with games played

To all those that doubted and criticized DT, Canales, and the Offense this season.... Three Words for you. Record Breaking Offense.

No other offensive Unit in the history of UNT Football put up the yards the team did this season..... PERIOD.

For all that I have had to read the last few years.... Damn that felt good.

GMG!

I like how you slipped Canales in there. Pretty self serving.

Total yards just means you had to climb back in games and did not control the clock.

That's part of the problem. Looking at stats instead of watching the actual players/games and understanding the different era's. Derek Thompson just finished playing 13 games. (12 regular season games, instead of 10, and a bowl game) 50% of teams today play an extra game because of the ton of new bowls added since the 70-80's. (compared to maybe 10% back in the day). Though Ken Washington (1972-1976) is legitimately in the Hall, they only played 10 games in 1975. (I believe 1 year, the team only played 9). A few years before, freshmen were not even allowed to play. Wasn't that long ago that every offense in America ran the ball more than throwing it. (with the QB under center) In fact, the saying was that if you threw the ball more than 30 times, you were losing.

Can anyone see Thompson under center a whole game? How about running the wishbone or veer? You can't compare stats from different era's; where everyone today runs the spread offense with the QB in the shot gun and at least 4 Wide Receivers.

I came on board in 1975 (Hayden Fry) when Ken Smith and Glen Roy were the 2nd and 3rd string QB's to Ken Washington. Glen Roy was a Derek Thompson clone. (but 3rd string) Jordan Case, another legit Hall of Famer was the backup to Washington the next year or two. His numbers would not compare to any modern QB because of the systems in place and the number of games played. (Ramsey was before my time). I'm not trying to knock Derek Thompson but to compare him to Ken Washington, Jordan Case and Steve Ramsey, Please!

This this this

The game has changed. You can't compare stats from 30 years ago to today. I mean I guess you can, but its pointless. How about you compare his stats to what other QBs in the country are doing. DT is an avg-below avg QB in todays world.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In all honesty, offense was so impotent last year and defense was so go this year, the fact that offense started to really execute just kinda snuck up on me.

To the people who want to shove this performance in people's faces, I, for one, am ecstatic to be wrong.

Really, we should be celebrating right now, not agitating age old tiffs.

As for a comment I made earlier in this thread that got me some behind the scenes remarks, I will speak no further on that, but nor will I apologize or retract.

1. Steve Ramsey 67

2. Mitch Maher 50

3. Vidal Carlin 47

4. Jason Mills 37

5. Giovanni Vizza 36

Derek Thompson had 34.

So he's probably #6. that's not good and should be considered. Thanks for finding the info Edited by the green rokemi

This this this

The game has changed. You can't compare stats from 30 years ago to today. I mean I guess you can, but its pointless. How about you compare his stats to what other QBs in the country are doing. DT is an avg-below avg QB in todays world.

Not going to comment on DT, but our offense was just 68th in the country in yards per game and 50th in scoring. We just haven't had productive offenses over the last 15 years or so that has seen a major development with spread offenses and the passing game. We finally got a decent offense and they broke some records that were very breakable.

The offense stepped up and took care of business by taking those records down. I hope our offense continues to progress and breaks those records next year, which is doable.

Just imagine if DT didn't burn a year of eligibility and had 1 more year. I know QB competition and all, but plenty of talented QB's were not tough enough to take the hits DT has and survived. One of our recent QB's quit playing FB and many here called him a quitter, but remember these young men take an amazing amount of punishment on the field. Maybe Gino was more worried about a career ending or live changing injury than continuing to play FB.

Let's say Gino continued and at the end of his career he knew he could go to Mean Green.com and see same topic about his career as the things that are being said about DT. And no...I don't want to compare Gino to DT in any way. Just using him as an example regarding the punishment QB's and every FB player experiences at the college level. I doubt a very few of us arm chair QB's could take 2 or 3 of the hits DT has taken and survived much less a careers worth DT has been blessed with at UNT.

DT has pretty much been an iron man here at UNT in addition to all of his accomplishment here, or lack there of. Point is very few QB's have a knee injury in a bowl game and produce anywhere near the level DT did on New Years day. Thank God DT did or we might be look at our FB season from a much different perspective!!!

DT's 3rd quarter pass to Harris I believe for 34 years was right on the money and thank God it was knee injury and all. If not we'd all been talking about how Coach Mac. should have bench DT in favor of a healthy QB ie RG3 conversation last year.

Great win Mean Green...can't wait till next year!!!

DT did not burn a year of eligibility. He was on the roster 5 years, and played in part of all 5.

As far as the Gino comparisons . . . I have no idea what you're talking about. Gino Torretta?

1. Steve Ramsey 67

2. Mitch Maher 50

3. Vidal Carlin 47

4. Jason Mills 37

5. Giovanni Vizza 36

Goofy stats without attempts and TDs with games played

int attempts TDs

1. Steve Ramsey 67 1015 69 Missouri Valley Conf

2. Mitch Maher 50 1149 67 Southland Conf

3. Vidal Carlin 47 633 25 Missouri Valley Conf

4. Jason Mills 37 697 32 Big West Conf

5. Giovanni Vizza 36 876 32 Sun Belt Conf

Derek Thompson 34 1055 42 SBC-CUSA

This year he's going to end up close to top 40 in passing yards, close to or in the top 25 in completion percentage, and likely top 60 in passing efficiency, so his stats aren't exactly all bad. His efficiency rating was obviously brought down by his TD/interception ratio, and I think a bit of his lack of TD production this year (and for his career) can be attributed to our style of offense. We do tend to want to punch the ball in once we hit the red zone. On the other hand his career interceptions do stand out, but I think they're less than one per game which isn't horrible.

Edited by foutsrouts
  • Upvote 1

This year he's going to end up close to top 40 in passing yards, close to or in the top 25 in completion percentage, and likely top 60 in passing efficiency, so his stats aren't exactly all bad. His efficiency rating was obviously brought down by his TD/interception ratio, and I think a bit of his lack of TD production this year (and for his career) can be attributed to our style of offense. We do tend to want to punch the ball in once we hit the red zone. On the other hand his career interceptions do stand out, but I think they're less than one per game which isn't horrible.

The fact that he had 8 career rushing TDs speaks to punching the ball in while in the red zone.

The last 3 years with DT starting we won 18 games.

The three years before that we won 6 games.

He was a major part of the team turnaround as he was driving the bus.

• Upvote 1

int attempts TDs

1. Steve Ramsey 67 1015 69 Missouri Valley Conf

2. Mitch Maher 50 1149 67 Southland Conf

3. Vidal Carlin 47 633 25 Missouri Valley Conf

4. Jason Mills 37 697 32 Big West Conf

5. Giovanni Vizza 36 876 32 Sun Belt Conf

Derek Thompson 34 1055 42 SBC-CUSA

That's pretty much a collection of all the big names in North Texas QBing except for one. Look at those TD to INT ratios and then you might understand why I go crazy about Scott Halls 3 to 1 ratio.

• Upvote 1