Derek Thompson is a Mean Green Hero

I'm with Cerebus on this. DT earned Hall of Fame consideration by CLOSING the deal on the howl. Only the 3rd bowl win in our history and in front of the largest crowd. A 9-4 record to boot in the first year of C-USA. Plus a model teammate and student athlete.

Let's review.

When you look at the UNT record book it has DT written all over it. (Take a look.)

When he arrived here, UNT football was in its darkest hour. (Try and argue otherwise.)

He played on a rebuilding team. (euphemistically speaking)

He leads the team to a 9-4 record in a new conference.

He leads UNT to their 3rd and arguably best bowl win (36-14) in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

He is named MVP of the Heart of Dallas Bowl. (21 of 30 for 256 yards and 2 TDs)

I will let everyone else argue about the UNT hall of fame.

One question: What was your first reaction when he popped his knee and was on the sideline?

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1

One question: What was your first reaction when he popped his knee and was on the sideline?

Still not totally sure why, but "Please not McNulty".

I was pretty close to that. But his limited time recently, including at Georgia, has been pretty solid so I was just hoping if he had to go in that he would continue surprising me. But I also figured that Derek would rather have them nail a tree branch to his leg to keep him up than stop playing in the bowl that he worked so damned hard to get to.

Our Hall of Fame is so watered down that I can't disagree with anyone going in anymore. Derek is the perfect example where after his first 3 seasons, most on here wanted anyone else to win the QB job. Our great coach even stated that the job was wide open going into the spring. Derek won the job and didn't suck as bad as we thought during the season (with the best offensive line ever)

Now he is Hall of Fame material. Other programs would laugh at the thought but not at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

Because we're finally becoming relevant in every way?

“…you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. (Abe Lincoln)

J.M., I guess the 24 hour time to celebrate this win is over? Myself? I'm going to celebrate this one 'till I'm 100 years old; that is, the next 37 years.

You're a great fan and alum, sir!

GMG!

PS: So are you, greenminer, but do savor the win a little longer before we all decide who belongs in the UNT Athletic HOF.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

How in the world do we own a record-setting offense yet we rely so heavily on our D to not just win championships, but save our butts?

Because the offensive side of football has evolved immensely over the past 10-15 years, but we're just now getting the competence to reap benefits from it. Same reason DT is in the tops in almost every offensive category, yet is statistically average compared to most FBS qbs.
  • Upvote 1

I wonder what would happen if you showed the UNT record books and DT's stats to someone outside UNT and asked them to say yes or no to putting him in UNT's HOF.

10 out of 10 would put him in.

People keep mentioning his stats. Where does he rank in interceptions or pick sixes? Honestly, I'd like to know, can't find the info Edited by the green rokemi

What is DTs career record on nationally televised games?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember Ohio, Tulane, or San Antonio being on national TV, so he must have done pretty well this year. Other than an occasional OOC money game, nationally televised games for us seemed to be pretty rare in The Belt, so I have no idea how well he performed in those games in previous years. Probably not great since we weren't great.

To all those that doubted and criticized DT, Canales, and the Offense this season.... Three Words for you. Record Breaking Offense.

No other offensive Unit in the history of UNT Football put up the yards the team did this season..... PERIOD.

For all that I have had to read the last few years.... Damn that felt good.

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm thankful for some of the big hits he's dished out quite a few times when blocking on reverse plays. 2 in particular, the one against UTEP on a reverse to Carlos Harris (against a huge D-tackle), and the one on the final score of the HOD bowl (against a big D-end).

More getting in the way than big hits, but he definitely got in the way enough to positively affect the outcome of the play. More than I would expect from a QB.

Just imagine if DT didn't burn a year of eligibility and had 1 more year. I know QB competition and all, but plenty of talented QB's were not tough enough to take the hits DT has and survived. One of our recent QB's quit playing FB and many here called him a quitter, but remember these young men take an amazing amount of punishment on the field. Maybe Gino was more worried about a career ending or live changing injury than continuing to play FB.

Let's say Gino continued and at the end of his career he knew he could go to Mean Green.com and see same topic about his career as the things that are being said about DT. And no...I don't want to compare Gino to DT in any way. Just using him as an example regarding the punishment QB's and every FB player experiences at the college level. I doubt a very few of us arm chair QB's could take 2 or 3 of the hits DT has taken and survived much less a careers worth DT has been blessed with at UNT.

DT has pretty much been an iron man here at UNT in addition to all of his accomplishment here, or lack there of. Point is very few QB's have a knee injury in a bowl game and produce anywhere near the level DT did on New Years day. Thank God DT did or we might be look at our FB season from a much different perspective!!!

DT's 3rd quarter pass to Harris I believe for 34 years was right on the money and thank God it was knee injury and all. If not we'd all been talking about how Coach Mac. should have bench DT in favor of a healthy QB ie RG3 conversation last year.

Great win Mean Green...can't wait till next year!!!