Derek Thompson is a Mean Green Hero

UNLV athletics has a transcription of their post-game press conference. You can read the entire .pdf here. I thought what their coach had to say about DT yesterday was in line with my sentiments during the game. It wasn't perfect, but overall I don't think I could have gotten a better performance from DT. He made some clutch clutch plays and triumphed through a load of adversity.

Q. Coach, talk about the performance of Derek Thompson at quarterback.
COACH HAUCK: Yeah, in fact we had all their games this season obviously, and we watched them all. It was in my mind his finest performance of the year. He took some good shots, we hit him, knocked him down, roughed him up, he got right back up and did a nice job. He's not only a good player, he's a tough player. Frankly in previewing film during the season, I didn't think that he could do what he did today, and kudos to him.
  • Upvote 3

Looked like old Derek came to play, then halftime happened...Ball State DT came out. I think he just does better in a quicker rhythm based offense than what we run.

That's because we were again hellbent on running into a brick wall in the first half. Chains came off the offense in the second half starting with the 1st drive. Amazing what a QB can do when he is allowed to throw downfield on downs other than third and long.

But this is back. And it's clear from that Iowa St fan comment that this will ALWAYS be Mac. No problem as long as Mac wins.

• Upvote 2

That's because we were again hellbent on running into a brick wall in the first half. Chains came off the offense in the second half starting with the 1st drive. Amazing what a QB can do when he is allowed to throw downfield on downs other than third and long.

But this is back. And it's clear from that Iowa St fan comment that this will ALWAYS be Mac. No problem as long as Mac wins.

I actually agree with you. Derek was held back by our gameplan

• Upvote 2

What was the final score again? And, seems to me that 21 points were left on the field in the first half. Add those 21 points and it would be an even bigger rout!

Dropped pick 6

Chop block call...was it a true chop block? Debatable! that negated a run to the 1 yard line (yes, I know...bad grammar).

Time out call before a blocked FG run back for a TD (question...did the UNLV guys relax just a tad with the TO call?)

Man, if the game plan held DT back, I hope it holds next year's QB as well leading to more big wins just like this one!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We were throwing the ball from the get-go. Really, the only running plays that were working were the jet sweeps & reverses. Byrd had a couple of nice runs (one called back on the chop block) & made something out of nothing a few times, but I think the gameplan was very balanced. All game.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Yes, but comparing him to his modern day peers would help to account for playing in a different era than previous UNT QBs.

Chiming in with a couple of others...this new era has had a lot of guys who didn't beat those records either. His career wasn't always pretty, but when it was, that's what got him (and the whole team) over the hump.

Just cue the music with "How Do You Like Me Now", and recall the 9-4 record. Lots of years and teams and QB's between this year's 9-4 record and the last time we saw something anywhere near 9-4.

Justify it any way you like, but DT was the QB of the 9-4 Bowl Champion Mean Green of 2013 (and one day of 2014). And, did I mention that he was Bowl MVP playing on a dislocated kneecap?

Enough for me. I'll let history and the experts determine the rest!

I was going to mention the song as well but you beat me to it. Again, even with his periods of ugly play, his sticking with it and helping guide the team out of the dark ages to this record with a wildly decisive bowl victory (and MVP) over a team we've never beaten before in a stadium we've never won in...that definitely helps his case!

I have been a big DT criticizer. I still stand by that he has had some off games (Tulane, UTSA) and has been inconsistent at times.

With all that though you can tell he worked his butt off and was prepared to play at the HOD Bowl. He came out and proved that his better showings are the real him. One thing I have never questioned was his heart, from the time he jammed his finger going over the bench to the injury (knee cap?) yesterday. Just pure grit and determination. Thank you DT for all you have done, all the big hits you have taken, all the flak you have taken from fans, and still rose above it all. Thank you.

And that goes out to all of our men who suit up and represent our school. Thank you for this fantastic season :goodjob:

Edit: One other quick mention. The men and women of the staff/Athletic dep. Thank you for all the hard work on the sidelines and behind the scenes!

Edited by Green Otaku

I have been a big DT criticizer. I still stand by that he has had some off games (Tulane, UTSA) and has been inconsistent at times.

With all that though you can tell he worked his butt off and was prepared to play at the HOD Bowl. He came out and proved that his better showings are the real him. One thing I have never questioned was his heart, from the time he jammed his finger going over the bench to the injury (knee cap?) yesterday. Just pure grit and determination. Thank you DT for all you have done, all the big hits you have taken, all the flak you have taken from fans, and still rose above it all. Thank you.

And that goes out to all of our men who suit up and represent our school. Thank you for this fantastic season :goodjob:

Edit: One other quick mention. The men and women of the staff/Athletic dep. Thank you for all the hard work on the sidelines and behind the scenes!

I second that w/ shouting out to the men and women of the athletic department who worked hard all season w/ the team.

On another note, I loved DT to the point that I even bought his jersey a couple years ago but there were a lot of times where I cursed his name throughout his career when he threw pics, fumbled, or missed open receivers. I DO appreciate his consistent effort to work hard and to bounce back from those mishaps. Overall, I DO appreciate what he did to contribute on bringing UNT to a winning season and setting the bar for next season. He will be missed like all the other contributing seniors who made this year a special one.

CUSA Champions 2014!

GMG!

• Upvote 1

I echo your points. I'm not DT's biggest fan at all but he certainly improved is play this year and maybe saved his best game for last.

I'm thankful for some of the big hits he's dished out quite a few times when blocking on reverse plays. 2 in particular, the one against UTEP on a reverse to Carlos Harris (against a huge D-tackle), and the one on the final score of the HOD bowl (against a big D-end).

• Upvote 1

DT has been my adopted player three years running and I found it very appropriate that he ended his career as the bowl game MVP. I know many of you are big fans of Scott Hall's, but dear Lord Hall threw an ugly ball. He managed the game well and won in the SBC. Thompson took a year when he was demoted from team captain and led us to a 9-4 record, could have easily been 12-1, and a bowl victory when we were picked to finish middle of the pack in conference. That pass he threw to Smith was beautiful, and a great catch by Smith, and really put the game away. Congratulations Derek. Something tells me people that were critical of you will miss you next year.

DT has been my adopted player three years running and I found it very appropriate that he ended his career as the bowl game MVP. I know many of you are big fans of Scott Hall's, but dear Lord Hall threw an ugly ball.

His last two years Scott completed about 60% of his passes and had a 3-to-1 TD to Int ratio (27TD 9INT). DT's last two years he completed a little over 60% of his passes but ended up with 30TD and 27INT.

DT just had the best bowl performance and by extension possibly the best one game performance of any QB in the programs history. IMHO that makes him a solid candidate for the NT HOF.

Scott Hall, also IMHO, was a no doubt about it, 1st ballot, NT HOFer.

Edited by Cerebus

His last two years Scott completed about 60% of his passes and had a 3-to-1 TD to Int ratio (27TD 9INT). DT's last two years he completed a little over 60% of his passes but ended up with 30TD and 27INT.

DT just had the best bowl performance and by extension possibly the best one game performance of any QB in the programs history. IMHO that makes him a solid candidate for the NT HOF.

I would say his best game ever was the one @ Kansas State. He was playing at another level, (my opinion of course :))

If going 21-30 for 256 yds and 2 TDs is the best QB performance in our history that shows our low our bar is for QB play. It was a truly gutty performance becasue of his knee, but it wasnt a statistical marvel by any stretch. And I don't see how one good game makes someone a solid HOF candidate.

If going 21-30 for 256 yds and 2 TDs is the best QB performance in our history that shows our low our bar is for QB play. It was a truly gutty performance becasue of his knee, but it wasnt a statistical marvel by any stretch. And I don't see how one good game makes someone a solid HOF candidate.

There have only ever been three Mean Green quarterbacks who started on a bowl game winning team. I can't find player stats for the 1946 Optimist Bowl, but it was 1946 and the game ended 14-13 so I doubt it was an aerial display. In the 2002 NO Bowl Andrew Smith had a rough game, only going 9/22 for 126 YDS and and INT. So by default DT's performance was great.

I think DT is in the conversation for the HOF from that performance alone. It probably does say something about our overall level of success through the years, but it is what it is. We'll see what the voters think in five years.

• Upvote 3

There have only ever been three Mean Green quarterbacks who started on a bowl game winning team. I can't find player stats for the 1946 Optimist Bowl, but it was 1946 and the game ended 14-13 so I doubt it was an aerial display. In the 2002 NO Bowl Andrew Smith had a rough game, only going 9/22 for 126 YDS and and INT. So by default DT's performance was great.

I think DT is in the conversation for the HOF from that performance alone. It probably does say something about our overall level of success through the years, but it is what it is. We'll see what the voters think in five years.

RANDOM TRIVIA: Who dropped a sure touchdown pass from Andrew Smith in the bowl game?? 2nd most painful drop in UNT history next to the LaDarrin Mclane drop in Lubbock.

We need to tap the breaks on HOF discussion. If this program continues to win the value if DT and these seniors will elevate into HOF discussion.

If we somehow tank and start losing again, then how is this class any different than Hall's? It could be argued worse because Hall's went to a bowl game every year.

Until then, DT has rightfully earned any season accolades given to him.

• Upvote 1