Attendance?

GreenBacker

Yes, a bigger name opponent would have added a bit more fans on the UNT side (5-10%?), more general fans and way more opponent fans. I spent the first half in section 18 which was half filled and then the second half at the 20 yard line in the shade, forty rows up, on the UNLV side. The actual crowd wasn't as big as the UH vs. PSU game two years ago for all the reasons stated at the top. UNT brought more fans than UH did but PSU brought at least half of what UNT did. UH was maybe 75%? I believe the official attendance included all of the 5,333 allotment from UNLV. Did UNT sell some tickets out of the UNLV allotment since half or more of their side were green? If so, that was a nice thing to do but hopefully UNT gets "credit" for it.

Great showing by UNT and a very exciting game. Solid defense and playmakers on the UNT side. Hope you have ample replacements for Byrd, Chancellor and the QB. GMG!

Did UNT sell some tickets out of the UNLV allotment since half or more of their side were green? If so, that was a nice thing to do but hopefully UNT gets "credit" for it.

There were some NT fans that bought tickets through the HoD site on the press box side.

I thought there we as many NT fans as there were UNLV fans on that side of the stadium.

I don't think there were more than 600 UNLV fans there. The HOD must do a better job in its selection of opponents. I thought the UNT crowd was great. And, we have so much more to do in the metroplex.

There are about 30 seats in on each row in each section. I'm sure UNLV had more that 600, but not more than 2000. They were more scattered but somewhere between 1000 and 2000 is probably right.

Not to rain on our parade, but is that really 30k mean green fans?

There were NT fans on the other side. Ya there were at least 30K NT fans there. There couldn't have been more than 1K UNLV people and the other casual fans that were there were likely rooting for NT. At least the ones I was around. From the picture it doesn't like like it's that many but that stadium is huge.

This is unconfirmed but I had heard that NT had sold 25,000 tickets through the ticket office. I was told this at the pre-game tailgate.

You can't see the rest of that side, but yeah, that's actually about 36k Mean Green fans. Word is that UNLV actually put about 500-600 butts in seats. Thus, that's 37,780 fans UNT can claim.

At least half the press box side was for UNT as well. They must've bought tickets through HOD and not known which side to buy on. Had they not been there, the press box side would've had more tumbleweed than butts.

• Upvote 1

I almost feel sorry for the UNLV players. I mean, not really I don't, but a bowl game is supposed to be a neutral site with fans of both teams. Yesterday was so blatantly set up as a UNT home game and victory, refs who owe debts to bookies notwithstanding, that I would've been pissed were I a UNLV player. Then again, if they only travel 300 people, that's their own damn program's fault. Surely we wouldn't have shown up 38,000 strong in Vegas, but I bet it would've been 15,000.

• Upvote 3

There were some NT fans that bought tickets through the HoD site on the press box side.

I thought there we as many NT fans as there were UNLV fans on that side of the stadium.

I was on the UNLV side bc I got mine through the HOD website. I didn't see more than a few hundred UNLV fans. There were clearly many more UNT fans than UNLV fans on the press box side. This is probably why all the bowl gear sold out except for the UNLV gear.

• Upvote 2

You go? If you were there you would not be asking that question. You cannot see all the Mean Green fans there in that photo....obviously, as you cannot see the whole stadium...not even all of that one side. But, to answer your question more directly...YES...more than 30,000.

• Upvote 2

You go? If you were there you would not be asking that question. You cannot see all the Mean Green fans there in that photo....obviously, as you cannot see the whole stadium...not even all of that one side. But, to answer your question more directly...YES...more than 30,000.

Gotta be more than 30k. WAY more Green there than I've seen at Apogee all season.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

We got screwed by bring UNLV; they brought maybe 100 fans??? Pathetic... Arizona would have been a good opponent for us,but I was so proud of our turn out and this goes to show we have more fans than you think; we need to advertise the games in Denton (Heart of Dallas did a nice job of advertising in the Dallas morning news) better than we do and we should sell out every game if we effectively do this- the power of the Green is growing baby!

Arizona didnt even take their own band to Shreveport. They hired Northwestern State's (Louisiana) band to replace them instead.

http://article.wn.com/view-mobile/2013/12/28/NSU_band_to_go_bowling_Northwestern_State_University_of_Loui/

...Northwestern State University's marching band will take on a new identity for the Dec. 31 AdvoCare V100 Bowl in Shreveport by filling in for the University of Arizona marching band....

That's freaking poor!

Rick

• Upvote 1

You can't see the rest of that side, but yeah, that's actually about 36k Mean Green fans. Word is that UNLV actually put about 500-600 butts in seats. Thus, that's 37,780 fans UNT can claim.

Per the UNLV Athletic Director, UNLV sold less than 300 tickets.

Don't be fooled by the presence of their band or some of the Rebel players families wearing red, the "UNLV Side" of the Cotton Bowl was almost all North Texas fans. There were some UNLV fans along the front rail and a smattering in the 50 yard-line section, but very few others.

The east side was all the people that purchased 'best seats available' from the bowl web site, and probably 98% of those were North Texas fans.

I think the attendance was very accurate.

I agree, and was impressed by the honesty with which it was reported. I wonder if the uniquely charitable nature of the bowl required better documentation than we might otherwise expect. I will say that a coworker who attended the Fiesta Bowl was amazed at how well Baylor traveled to that (although not so much with that team's performance).

I heard from a band parent that we won't be traveling our band out to UTEP next year as the logistics are ridiculous. I Hope that is not the case at least let the top 3 or 4 chairs for each instrument go.

Great game! Crowd was good and active. There is no damn reason why the 1st home game of the season in 14 against SMU can't be sold out!!! As Mac said, "this is just the beginning!"

Mark it, the first home game will not only be a sellout, but there will be an enormous shortage of seating. The tickets will sell out almost immediately and demand for student tickets will easily outnumber the 8000 seats reserved for them.

I don't think anybody is prepared to deny admission to students who are paying an athletics fee.

SRO works at some facilities but not Apogee where it would only be blocking walkways.

The athletic department should seriously consider building temporary grandstands over the south endzone grass sections and maybe on both sides of the wing to increase the general admission seating.

• Upvote 1

I heard from a band parent that we won't be traveling our band out to UTEP next year as the logistics are ridiculous. I Hope that is not the case at least let the top 3 or 4 chairs for each instrument go.

Perhaps the band will travel to Rice, UTSA, or both.