Attendance?

GreenBacker

Great game! Crowd was good and active. There is no damn reason why the 1st home game of the season in 14 against SMU can't be sold out!!! As Mac said, "this is just the beginning!"

Beat Texas in Austin to open the year and we will sell out Apogee for the first time. Otherwise, it'll be 24-26k.

Crowd look between 30 and 35k today to me, but that is fine. There were maybe 2k UNLV fans there, and that is being quite generous.

Funny watching the kids rush the field and the 65 year old security guard try to no avail to stop it from happening. I was seriously concerned he was going to give himself a heart attack. Did make for good comedy, though.

• Upvote 5

I don't think there were more than 600 UNLV fans there. The HOD must do a better job in its selection of opponents. I thought the UNT crowd was great. And, we have so much more to do in the metroplex.

I blame it on Kenny Mayne and Guy Fieri. ESPECIALLY the Cook with the Tatoos... Too much TV Time for that idiot.

Edited by NTSUEagle
  • Upvote 2

A woman saw me and my wife in our Mean Green gear at the DART Victory Station and congratulated us on our big day, then said something like, "y'all represented well, I heard over 48,000 attendance". At the time, I was thinking 40,000, and was thrilled to hear her number. I'm still thrilled with the crowd we had. Oh yeah, let's give a big shout out to that Chamber of Commerce weather!

How soon can they start selling season tix for 2014?

Seems they'll be getting a spike in website traffic the next couple days. Need to capitalize on the current temperature of the casual alum

Here's an idea...

Take all the addresses of people who expected to have their tickets mailed, then send them a "peace offering"..."Sorry about that, here's 20% off season tickets for next year!"

Coming off of a huge New Year's bowl win, I bet a lot of people would be quick to forgive, especially with a little discount, and it would be a good way to carry this momentum IMMEDIATELY into next fall.

• Upvote 3

Eh, I'd rather have 15 years of a SRO 30k Apogee than 5 years of SRO coupled with decades of what the past has looked like, only this time with 20k empty seats.

Too true. I don't want two sellouts and hear people talking about expansion. I'd much rather have a loud imposing intimate stadium ala Boise than a big cavernous empty stadium ala Rice.

Right now, Apogee is a marvel in experience. Super close to the field, and super loud. Not much else like it except Seattle and the Huskies anymore. Don't jack with it until we have to.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Too true. I don't want two sellouts and hear people talking about expansion. I'd much rather have a loud imposing intimate stadium ala Boise than a big cavernous empty stadium ala Rice.

Right now, Apogee is a marvel in experience. Super close to the field, and super loud. Not much else like it except Seattle and the Huskies anymore. Don't jack with it until we have to.

My thoughts on that are that we had enough people to fill Apogee to the gills and then some at the Cotton Bowl yesterday. However, due to its cavernous size, I never did hear our own band in the stands. I couldn't really hear the noise of the crowd like we do at Apogee. The hard number of 38,000 was fantastic. The experience of it among 54,000 empty seats left a bit to be desired.

Every time I go to a different stadium now, I think to myself just how kickass Apogee is. Five years ago, I would've stared at the inside of the Cotton Bowl in wonder. Yesterday, I looked at it and thought to myself, "Man, I wish I could go pee in under an hour without hitting my head on an exposed pipe in this place."

You know what I'd like to see happen for a while? I'd like to see UNT football tickets as hard to come by. I want to see scalpers in the parking lot and people with cardboard signs that say, "Need tickets." I want to see Wing Zone tickets selling on stubhub at two, three times face value, and being sold.

Create a product with value and a ticket with valence. Only after several years, as in a decade or more, of people on waiting lists to get tickets, do we talk stadium expansion.

• Upvote 2

We got screwed by bring UNLV; they brought maybe 100 fans??? Pathetic... Arizona would have been a good opponent for us, but I was so proud of our turn out and this goes to show we have more fans than you think; we need to advertise the games in Denton (Heart of Dallas did a nice job of advertising in the Dallas morning news) better than we do and we should sell out every game if we effectively do this- the power of the Green is growing baby!