Cedar Hill DE Washington: "UNT still in play..."

Harry

UNT recruits had a heck of a run in the state championship games over the last few days at AT&T Stadium.

UNT wide receiver recruits O’Keeron Rutherford and Tee Goree both had big games while helping lead Carthage past Kilgore in the Class 3A, Division I state title game.

Rutherford (three catches, 79 yards) and Goree (three catches, 51 yards and 44 rushing yards, two touchdowns) look like really good gets for UNT.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/cedar-hill-de-washington-unt-still-in-play.html/

This kid is much bigger than the previous Cedar Hill LB/DE we signed (Brandon Akpunde (sp) - AK47) who was about 6-1, 185 in high school. Brandon was a backup the first half of his senior season but excelled on special teams. I'm sure many will remember me questioning him as a recruit. Lol! Anyway, you don't have to be tall to rush the passer. This kid is strong enough where he can be just as efficient as Bellazin; who was similar in size coming out of HS.

• Upvote 1

This kid is much bigger than the previous Cedar Hill LB/DE we signed (Brandon Akpunde (sp) - AK47) who was about 6-1, 185 in high school. Brandon was a backup the first half of his senior season but excelled on special teams. I'm sure many will remember me questioning him as a recruit. Lol! Anyway, you don't have to be tall to rush the passer. This kid is strong enough where he can be just as efficient as Bellazin; who was similar in size coming out of HS.

I too was worried about AK47 when we heard that we signed him bc he played great on special teams. Worked out well though!!

Looking at Washingtons body type I think he can play around the 260 range easy.

• Upvote 1

I've seen Xavier Washington play a couple times this season -- once in person -- and he was highly impressive. He was on the field with fellow UNT Target J.T. Williams (who has been offered by La. Tech, Houston and Missouri) and Washington was the best DL on the field. He was the Defensive MVP in the 5A DII title game against Katy, a very easy decision.

If UNT gets him, that would be a huge, huge get.

• Upvote 1

Dude does not look undersized for a DE at all. UNT is a good hour away from Cedar Hill. Far enough to get away, but close enough to come back when you want and an easy trip to see you play for all your family and friends. Would take our facilities and coaches over Nevada and Houston, too. If McCarney lands this kid it takes our class to a whole new level. Think this kid can play all three downs and start four years.

• Upvote 2

Dude does not look undersized for a DE at all. UNT is a good hour away from Cedar Hill. Far enough to get away, but close enough to come back when you want and an easy trip to see you play for all your family and friends. Would take our facilities and coaches over Nevada and Houston, too. If McCarney lands this kid it takes our class to a whole new level. Think this kid can play all three downs and start four years.

Cedar Hill is close enough to take your laundry home on weekends.

• Upvote 1