Rebels bowl opponent UNT happy with ticket sales

Harry

North Texas is happy with the early response its seeing from fans who are buying tickets for the teams New Years Day showdown with the UNLV football team in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Just like UNLV, the Mean Green are offering discounted student tickets, and the response has been good.

"We had some students camped out", UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal told the Denton Record-Chronicle. "It was a really neat thing to watch."

Villarreal said that near the end of the first week the university had sold more than 1,200 student tickets. The Mean Green are selling their regular tickets for $75 and student tickets for $25, with boosters already donating nearly $40,000 toward offsetting the student discount.

UNLV is doing something similar with its tickets also going for $75 and student tickets discounted to $20. UNLV Athletic Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy said last Wednesday the department had brought in around $22,000 in ticket money, including some donors contributing extra for the student discount.

Kunzer-Murphy was in Phoenix last weekend for Mountain West meetings and expects to have some updated UNLV ticket numbers available on Monday.

No matter how well they do, the Rebels are almost guaranteed to come up short of what UNT is able to sell. The Mean Green campus is about a 45-minute drive away from Cotton Bowl Stadium.

Read more: http://lvsun.com/news/2013/dec/16/unlv-football-awards/

Not what we all wanted (of course) which were much earlier ticket sales totals but I always thought most of the tickets that will give us the crowd HOD Bowl officials expect from us will be sold 1 week prior to the game---IMO. Parents of UNT Students: 2 tickets for Johnny and Suzie would make nice Christmas stocking stuffers.

Ad nausem with this, but day of game walk up ticket sales IMHO will still be most important. Who knows what the City of Dallas delivers from its employees or what Joe College Fan living in DFW will do, either.

Except for most of us on the forum and because of a 92K seat stadium, there will not be an urgency from our casuals and borderliners to buy tickets pre-Christmas. If the stadium would have been the size of Amon Carter where MUTS plays Navy, maybe more urgency from our group then.

GMG!

PS: Again, our fan base once travelled 17,000 fans down to New Orleans for a Tuesday night bowl game. I base my good feelings for what I feel our fans will do on those numbers and a much closer to our fans bowl game since our entire constituency is even larger than it was back in that day.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Villarreal said that near the end of the first week the university had sold more than 1,200 student tickets. The Mean Green are selling their regular tickets for $75 and student tickets for $25, with boosters already donating nearly $40,000 toward offsetting the student discount.

Wow, nice job alumni. I know a lot of you guys post here who donated- you helped a ton of students out how might not have been able to go.

• Upvote 1

I'll second that thank you to those Alumns that committed money to the image of NT (how many people we bring). Hope the students do their part.

• Upvote 2