Josh Greer talks about decision to commit to UNT

Harry

They want a playmaker at QB. They want a guy who can make a first and second read and if there is no option there, make plays with his feet. DT did not give them that option, and that's why they did not "open up the playbook". He is suited to drop-back style at this level. I will also say that "opening up the offense" requires there to be skill players at other positions than QB that can make plays. UNT had virtually no options in 2012 to do this. In 2013--to their credit--the receivers and backs were able to catch the football, and there were more of them doing it. The special teams players also decided to step up, and become something other than an abomination and embarrassment--in other words, make plays--and we have the results we knew this team was capable of as the result.

I agree with this.

Brock was brought in because of his potential playmaking abilities. Most comments on here are pretty consistient that Brock had issues with reading defenses and picking up the system. Speaking with several players, this was also confirmed. Reading between the lines and by looking at the way they treated Brock, (3rd string. Barely running with 1st team, dajon getting more chances) it also points to that issue. His physical abilities and attitude were never brought up.

Brock is an athlete and he improvises. That is his strength. Improvising is good when all other options are gone. You are correct, our coaching staff wants a qb that can read and execute first, and improvise and make plays only when nessessary.

Just a guess, but im sure Brock looked good on scout team. It makes sense. A playmaker can give your defense a good look with his athleticism and improvising. Now the question comes, can we harness this teach him the mental part of the game. It is one of the biggest problems in dealing with an athletic qb. Its hard to turn off the athlete and turn on the brain.

DT is not athletic, but he does bring intangibles to the position that we take for granted. He can read defenses and he is smart, yeah we heard that plenty of times. Pocket presence is huge, and DT had good pocket presence and composure. That is something that may not be teachable and some qbs never get it. A rattled qb or a qb that is unpredictable and lacks composure is the last thing this conservative coaching staff wants to put out there.

Edited by GOMG2013

I'm not sure this signing means our staff doesn't like what we have going into next year. Since Canales has been here we've signed a few JUCO QBs---Osborne, Berglund and now Greer. Osborne was, like Greer, 6'5" and came from a decent JUCO. He was rated higher (3* by most). Greer looks athletic enough on film, but he doesn't look to be getting a ton of good interest....and, in the past, we haven't really brought in JUCO QBs to take over our starting spot. We've typically needed to either groom them or just use them for depth.

Looking at our top 3 going into Spring, none of them are pure pocket passers. DW, BB, and McNulty all possess better than average athletic ability and aren't the type of guys that like to sit back, read through their progressions and make throws. Canales will tailor his gameplan to get these guys involved in the running game. In Canales first year here, we went through 4 QBs (Tune, DT, Riley, Baine). I imagine that the staff would like to redshirt Means this fall. We need another viable option at QB---esp. with the guys that we have at 1-3 on the depth chart all being dual-threat guys.

Edited by TIgreen01

They brought in Brock to take DTs spot. Very obvious. They also said several times no one distanced themselves as the clear cut starter.

They continued to allow an open qb competition for a qb coming back for his senior season. Up until the week of the first game.

Teams have qb competitions, but in this case, there was no clear cut winner because of bad play. Not because the qbs were balling and it was a hard call to make. Very obvious.

The problem is there was a whole LOOOT of coach speak in this. You just don't know how much of what he said there was really true. We will never know how much because Mac doesn't hold open practices. I hate coach speak and lack of verifyable statements and if things go bad I WILL hold it against a coach (particularly the latter). But it did not go bad and coach does what he does because he thinks it serves him and the quality of the team, and is not concerned with whether we fans have to read tea leaves about who what he really thinks about his number 2 and three QBs. And that has some merrit too.

Edited by outoftown

I'm not sure this signing means our staff doesn't like what we have going into next year. Since Canales has been here we've signed a few JUCO QBs---Osborne, Berglund and now Greer. Osborne was, like Greer, 6'5" and came from a decent JUCO. He was rated higher (3* by most). Greer looks athletic enough on film, but he doesn't look to be getting a ton of good interest....and, in the past, we haven't really brought in JUCO QBs to take over our starting spot. We've typically needed to either groom them or just use them for depth.

Looking at our top 3 going into Spring, none of them are pure pocket passers. DW, BB, and McNulty all possess better than average athletic ability and aren't the type of guys that like to sit back, read through their progressions and make throws. Canales will tailor his gameplan to get these guys involved in the running game. In Canales first year here, we went through 4 QBs (Tune, DT, Riley, Baine). I imagine that the staff would like to redshirt Means this fall. We need another viable option at QB---esp. with the guys that we have at 1-3 on the depth chart all being dual-threat guys.

I have a hard time thinking of Berglund as a Juco QB. I mean, yeah, he was at one, for a month or two. But he never played at one. And when he transferred here, it was treated as a transfer from an FBS program, not a Juco.

• 1 year later...

DT is not athletic, but he does bring intangibles to the position that we take for granted. He can read defenses and he is smart, yeah we heard that plenty of times. Pocket presence is huge, and DT had good pocket presence and composure. That is something that may not be teachable and some qbs never get it. A rattled qb or a qb that is unpredictable and lacks composure is the last thing this conservative coaching staff wants to put out there.

This may be the post of yours I agree with most since you've been here, except it seems the staff does want to put a quarterback that lacks composure out there.