Josh Greer talks about decision to commit to UNT

Harry

What are the chances any of our 5 QBs will change position? Athletically they are all quite nice, so I guess that ought to be a real possibility for number 5 and maybe even 4 on the depth chart, whoever it may turn out to be.

Lil Mac should be the one changing positions, if I remember he played safety in HS, before he was promised to play QB at UNT

I thought BB went FBS/FBS/JC/NT in an accelerated manner. God forbid, because I still have hope for the guy here, but are you saying that a move to Northern Colorado or somewhere for two years is out of the question? Two years here, or two years FCS is the way I've been reading it. If there is only a one year FCS possibility, I would think that his chances of staying here are a bit higher.

Its a one time rule. It only applies to first time transfers. After your first transfer then you have to sit a yr.

He definitely looked much improved from high school in his JUCO tape. A big thing he needed to improve on was his accuracy. His junior year he started a few games while then Senior qb Miles Onyegbule (UT receiver) was injured.

Greer completed just 45% of his passes in limited action as a junior. His senior year as a full time starter he had 24 tds but also had 11 picks and only completed 54.5 percent of his passes. Big kid, good arm, good program, but less than stellar completion percentage. Stats are from his rivals page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Greer-110407

Some game-by-game stats from his senior year for those interested.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/josh-greer/S2yYzvTpEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

In his year of JUCO ball for Navarro he had a very impressive year and showed some improvement, at least statistically, accuracy wise completing 63.5% of his passes. Also cut down on the ints with just 1 all year for a 8:1 td to int ratio. Here's a link to those stats.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2013-14/players/joshgreer8vcz

If he can continue to improve at the rate that he has then he could definitely be a good one for us.

• Upvote 1

Good get. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that the coaching staff must not believe there is a front runner at QB. Sadly.

But, again, if this makes everyone grind harder to win the position, it bodes well for us. Whomever wins the job will have been challenged thoroughly to earn it.

I also think this shows, somewhat, the conservative nature of McCarney, regarding offense. He seems to hew to experience. And, although this guy's experience is JUCO, it is snaps against live action. And, as much potential as the other four QBs have, none of them have much live action with the game on the line.

Say what you will about a "conservative" / "run first" approach, but you have to admit that it's gotten us back to winning.

I can understand that arguement, but he played 5 games past high school. McNulty started 2(?) and played in several more.

I think your first line is most accurate, I don't think Mac believes in who we have under center currently.

Which, again, is more than any of the others on the roster have played past high school...plus, one of them was a bowl game! :thumbsup:

Good get. It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that the coaching staff must not believe there is a front runner at QB. Sadly.

But, again, if this makes everyone grind harder to win the position, it bodes well for us. Whomever wins the job will have been challenged thoroughly to earn it.

I also think this shows, somewhat, the conservative nature of McCarney, regarding offense. He seems to hew to experience. And, although this guy's experience is JUCO, it is snaps against live action. And, as much potential as the other four QBs have, none of them have much live action with the game on the line.

Say what you will about a "conservative" / "run first" approach, but you have to admit that it's gotten us back to winning.

That juco league Navarro is in has some serious BCS caliber talent that didn't make their grades. If you can excel and win at that level it means something.

Still don't get why things didn't work out at UAB... he got there early and fared well in the spring. He got caught up in a numbers game or just didn't like being there. It happens. The KEY thing is he left and immediately had success at Navarro despite an injury. He came back from the injury and won the championship and a bowl game. That speaks volumes.

He's 6-4, 6-5 and has some size. Good arm. You can't teach that.

I think they looked at what DT accomplished for the program this year and said this kid could be that or better. I think they also said we have some talent at QB but it is ALL unproven. This guy gives them a more proven commodity at the #1 most important position on the team. Smart move.

Imagine that.

It's interesting to note what essentially lost the game for Dallas last weekend. The passing game. And, what won the game for the Ravens Monday. Good special teams play. Great, in fact.

To truly have a qb competition, you need to have two quality qbs going at it.

some choose to believe DT won the starting job because he worked hard, had leadership, etc, but he backed into it. No one could win the job outright.

Im sure they dont want to make the same mistake. We really dodged the bullet, and DT had some good moments.

Hopefully we will have a solid starter coming out of spring camp, and a backup that is pushing him because he is really good, and not the situation we had this year.

some choose to believe DT won the starting job because he worked hard, had leadership, etc, but he backed into it. No one could win the job outright.

Im sure they dont want to make the same mistake. We really dodged the bullet, and DT had some good moments.

None of these statements make any sense, whatsoever.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

None of these statements make any sense, whatsoever.

They brought in Brock to take DTs spot. Very obvious. They also said several times no one distanced themselves as the clear cut starter.

They continued to allow an open qb competition for a qb coming back for his senior season. Up until the week of the first game.

Teams have qb competitions, but in this case, there was no clear cut winner because of bad play. Not because the qbs were balling and it was a hard call to make. Very obvious.

It's that whole argument of Employment hiring. You want a job and are freshly out of school. You apply for a job but are told you don't have enough experience, so how is one supposed to get experience in the job you want? Typically you start at the bottom. In the case of CFB there is no way to do that unless we are going to solely recruit juco, which I'm not sure is the best route to sustain a program. I'm not arguing one way or they other as far as our qb's go. Just wondering How/why do we recruit freshman qb's if coaches can't trust them to play because they haven't taken any live snaps?

Edited by filmerj

You mean, obvious to you, right? I mean, otherwise, they would have started someone else, right? Just not understanding you, probably.

You dont use a ship on a juco qb if you dont plan on using him. Some will say he could be there for "insurance" but most times that is coachspeak. And this is not pro ball. You have 2 years of eligibility. A juco player is not signing at a place if he is not told he will have a good chance to start. At least the other positions you can still get in a rotation, but the qb position is the last one you hope to see the backup.

Its also clear Brock did not meet expectations. They kept the competition open hoping McNulty or Brock, maybe even dajon would be an improvement. Even burned dajon's redshirt.

You dont do all this just to light a fire under your SENIOR qb. Its not like DT is a knucklehead that needed to get his act together. What also shows that McNulty and Brock did not meet expectations is the way they handled them throughout the year. They are not a part of the future. Did not get good reps in the blowouts and had a true freshman in front of them until DT had a good game against ball state. Just my opinion, but DT did not have the job on lock till ball state. That is when dajon got "injured" if DT didnt work out, dajon was next in line. I guess I have to retract my statement, because DT did earn it after the ball state game.

Going forward, they dont want to make the same mistake twice. They dont want to give the job to someone because the other ones are that bad. Just me, but it looks like they have given up on Brock and McNulty.

They want a good qb comp and dont want to be forced to just hand it over to dajon because he is the young recruit with the most upside. They actually want to win, and by the looks of the recruiting targets, it looks like they actually plan on opening the offense. They just want someone they can trust.

Did he qualify?

No, he qualified and early enrolled at UAB. He shows an offer on rivals from us out of high school. That sounds like that may have not been a committable offer from the way Vito makes it sound in the articles, like he would have committed to us if it was. He didn't have a great senior year, only completed 54% of his passes. Looks a lot better now.

I agree with this.

I think there's a lot of speculation here, but I understand what you are saying, and I acknowledge that there is a possibility it went down like this. I think there is more to the story probably, and much of it is probably my view that DT actually performed better when it counted and the coaching staff felt like he was their best option. I think the "win now" factor had much to do with this. You go with the guy who produces most consistently and applies himself to be the best he can be. I think that was DT this year.

They want a playmaker at QB. They want a guy who can make a first and second read and if there is no option there, make plays with his feet. DT did not give them that option, and that's why they did not "open up the playbook". He is suited to drop-back style at this level. I will also say that "opening up the offense" requires there to be skill players at other positions than QB that can make plays. UNT had virtually no options in 2012 to do this. In 2013--to their credit--the receivers and backs were able to catch the football, and there were more of them doing it. The special teams players also decided to step up, and become something other than an abomination and embarrassment--in other words, make plays--and we have the results we knew this team was capable of as the result.

There is always too much stock placed in the talent/mobility/arm strength/etc. of the QB. It's comical, really. Even Johnny Lee Harvey Oswald Football in College Station went 8-4 this year.

Edited by LongJim