ESPN- Mack Brown to Resign (to Coach Bowl)

All About UNT

I think you are looking at Strong or John Gruden.

The problem with Texas is the same problem you'd have at Alabama or Oklahoma or Michigan or USC: winning isn't enough. You've got to endure totally unrealistic expectations 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. Every minute, you are scrutinized.

You've also got to gladhandle a completely different breed of asshole when it comes to the Texas job: Joe Jamail and that car salesman guy whose name escapes me.

Also, you can't walk down the hall and take a crap without Lornhorn Network cameras and reporters on you.

All of this is why I think the best person for the job is probably Gruden. I mean, the guy worked for Al Davis. Anyone who endured Al Davis (and, let's be honest - Jerry Jones can be thrown into this category as well) can probably handle any asshole hangers-on around the Texas program.

Gruden also loves himself and loves to be on television. So, the Longhorn Network cameras and reporters everywhere wouldn't be all that different than the world he is already living in as an NFL TV guy. He'd have the least amount of learning curve there, if any at all.

He's enthusiastic, which the players would love. He can bullshit with the best of them, too; so, he'd be great with the alumni.

"Hey Nick Saban, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Hey Kevin Sumlin, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Hey either Harbaugh brother, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Hey Art Briles, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Hey Gus Malzahn, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Hey Jim Mora, wanna be the next coach of Texas? No? That's alright we're still Texas!"

"Don't worry folks, whomever we finally get to say yes will be our FIRST CHOICE! Because we're still Texas"

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Todd Graham, the ASU Head coach, will be the next Head Coach at Texas.

Since it would be not only the usual breach of coaching contract, but also a breach of the AD's terms leaving, I think this is one where you could actually see a lawsuit. They let their AD go on the stipulation that he wouldn't take anyone with him. So expect the Horns to put up some of their huge cash on hand to cover it if this actually happens.

I know he did a good job with Lousiville, but I have to say, he doesn't scare me. austin U has talent, and he is a good coach, but I'm not sure he will be able to just waltz in and win.

Let's go Mean Green! Make him wish he would have kept his ass in Kentucky!

First black head coach at Texas?

If so, expect to see articles claiming they broke the color barrier. Lol

I expect to see even tackier "jokes" but against him instead of UT as a whole. I hope for his sake that's not the case but we will see.

underwhelming hire...4 years as a head coach...now he has to run an empire...gonna be tough for him...hopefully, i think, texas isn't quick on the draw to fire him if he starts off slow...

Personally, I think it's a very good hire. Not as good as Saban, and certainly not as big a splash. But Charlie Strong is still relatively young, and took what had become a mediocre Louisville team under who I thought was a pretty good coach (Steve Kragthorpe), to an 11-1 record this year featuring a 30-point beatdown of Miami in their bowl game. He is a great recruiter, knows how to win, will bring defensive tenacity to a team that has sorely lacked it in recent years. Personally, I think this is a better hire than Briles, Franklin, Graham, or Gruden.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98