Rebels surprised, then excited when bowl decision became public

Coach Bill Lewis

Tyler Gaston had some apprehensions about the Jan. 1 date for UNLVs bowl game. Every Rebel, including Gaston, was thrilled the team was selected for any game, but some put extra value on playing in the Heart of Dallas Bowl against North Texas because New Years Day is a traditional date for college football.

Normally, Gaston said, he would celebrate New Years Eve with his family, so his first reaction was a little sadness that he couldnt do that this year.

But then I thought that I may not see these guys anymore after this year, said Gaston, a senior defensive tackle and Rancho High grad. What better way to bring it in than with my new family?

UNLV coach Bobby Hauck and a few selected players were all smiles Monday as they discussed the programs first bowl game since 2000 and only the fourth in program history. The news about the game started to trickle out to the players Sunday as they prepared for a team meeting. The general feeling was joy and surprise, since the Heart of Dallas Bowl is not one of the six with Mountain West ties.

Offensive lineman Brett Boyko said the constantly changing predictions over the past week were annoying. Quarterback Caleb Herring tried to avoid the updates and guesses, but word would leak to him from one source or another.

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/dec/10/rebels-surprised-then-excited-when-bowl-decision-b/

• Downvote 1