North Texas fans - you gotta show up to the bowl game

Harry

Once at the bottom of the garbage can of FBS teams in Texas, the Mean Green are in the process of remaking their image and are now in a bowl game for the first time in ... 45 years. Wait, that's not right - it just feels like it. The last time UNT was in a bowl was 2004, and this appearance snaps a nine-year drought - the sixth-longest in the nation.

"There is no such thing as a bad bowl game," McCarney said on a conference call Sunday night.

First of all, that's a load. There are tons of bad bowl games, but McCarney is right in this case. There is no bad bowl for North Texas. The job he has done turning

UNT into a winner is not too different than the success he had at Iowa State.

Now it's time for a fan base that was broken, disinterested or ambivalent to show up. There is no way the 92,000-seat Cotton Bowl is going to be full for the Heart of Dallas Bowl, but UNT's fan base needs to buy their allotment of tickets and demonstrate to future bowl representatives they will go places to watch their team. Barring another hellish ice storm, the game is too close to skip.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2013/12/north-texas-fans-you-gotta-show-up-to-the-bowl-game.html

""I'm challenging them. ... They challenged us and we accepted," Villarreal said. "To be honest, I say, 'Challenge', I'm going to invite them back. We didn't give them a reason to come back for a long time. The response has been great (for this bowl game). We need to have a great turnout. It will be all about numbers and I expect big numbers."

- RV

I read earlier where RV took some heat for "challenging" the fans...if you read the whole quote, I have no problem with what he said.

It is our time to step up, not just the fanatics on this board. It is time to show people what we're made of in terms of being able to come out and support our team outside of the die hards, and that is the challenge.