What I Don't Understand

meangreanmick

Most people are excited to be playing UNLV on New Years Day. Don't feed the negative nellies. They drain life and all that is good in Mean Green land on 12.8.13.

Hotel rooms booked for party in downtown Dallas - check

Bowl tickets purchased - check

New Years Eve party plans - brewing

Heart of Dallas gear with SOW and Rebel Head - searching

Excited to see UNT in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day - Priceless

GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

What I don't get is how many on this board can talk about how challenging its been to be a Mean Green fan for so many years, and now we have 1 winning season and a bowl game and suddenly we can look down on some programs.

News flash, we aren't above anyone at this point. I have four letters for you if you think we are - UTSA.

Getting a big program to come in and kick our ass in a the bowl game would have gotten alot of pub, and would be bad for recruiting. If you were around for the early 2000's you had to have learned one thing - winning is better for a program than anything else, regardless of who you are beating. I saw our fan base grow exponentially through those years and alot of them stuck around now through these many losing years since then. We need to follow the K State model from many years ago, win alot first, then worry about upgrading the opponents when you have recruited the talent and depth to do so

You may not want to hear it, but news flash, UNLV is more of a national program than we are. We had quite a few on here look down on UTSA and they handed us our ass at our place.

Quit whining, quit thinking we are above anyone at this point, and quit making North Texas look like a bunch of amateurs.

I think I see more whining from people accusing people of whining, than I see whining from people complaining about our bowl opponent. I see nothing wrong with a one day wish for a bigger name opponent, as a bigger name opponent would had likely given us a higher probability to make a big splash with a victory on New Year's Day. No big deal, and I suspect that the "whining" about our opponent will be gone by tomorrow. Everyone will no doubt move on to the task of dealing with UNLV sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Listen Comrade, I am sure your pinko heart is saddened by the fact that we have only reached the intermediate stage of communism where dialectic relics from capitalism, such as grumblings about bowl opponents, have not been stricken from the minds of good party members... but this is America, and we can complain about any damn thing we want:

w06oWsy.jpg

Honestly, I think everyone is ecstatic to be in a bowl, and if we expected to be invited to a bowl game with a MWC opponent, everyone would be happy to face UNLV. But we were invited to a bowl where we could expect a B10 opponent, and when that fell through schools like Notre Dame were dangled in front of us. That is why there is a sense of disappointment.

That is no disrespect to UNLV, they just aren't Iowa or Notre Dame. We aren't either, but their fans new from the get go that they would be facing us. Reading UNLV board, they seem to understand why we are disappointed, it would be like if they were expecting to play a PAC12 team and at the last minute it was replaced with... well... us.

You can holier than thou everyone all you want, but looking at the polls we just had on here today about who we wanted to play, almost everyone voted for an AQ school. We can grumble about not getting an AQ opponent without thinking we are better than UNLV, we aren't, it's just that expectation were set by the fact that the HoD bowl is a bowl game that rotates B10/B12 and CUSA teams, and we aren't getting one of those AQ teams.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

What I don't get is how many on this board can talk about how challenging its been to be a Mean Green fan for so many years, and now we have 1 winning season and a bowl game and suddenly we can look down on some programs.

News flash, we aren't above anyone at this point. I have four letters for you if you think we are - UTSA.

Getting a big program to come in and kick our ass in a the bowl game would have gotten alot of pub, and would be bad for recruiting. If you were around for the early 2000's you had to have learned one thing - winning is better for a program than anything else, regardless of who you are beating. I saw our fan base grow exponentially through those years and alot of them stuck around now through these many losing years since then. We need to follow the K State model from many years ago, win alot first, then worry about upgrading the opponents when you have recruited the talent and depth to do so

You may not want to hear it, but news flash, UNLV is more of a national program than we are. We had quite a few on here look down on UTSA and they handed us our ass at our place.

Quit whining, quit thinking we are above anyone at this point, and quit making North Texas look like a bunch of amateurs.

This is about PERCEPTION.

Particularly to the 100k or so alumni in DFW, over 90% of have nothing to do with, or very casual interest in UNT sports.

Playing a Big 10 or ACC team in a New Years Day bowl game in the Cotton Bowl would have gotten 5 times the median interest and turned 5 times more heads of those 90% than a game with UNLV.

And don't do UNLV the disservice of comparing them to that craphole in San Antonio. UNLV has been playing football a while, but they aren't the program just about everyone in this fan base was looking forward to playing and aren't the opponent we really needed for this game.

And I really don't care if you like it or don't like it.

Ironic how you say we should be just fine not getting a Big 5 opponent, yet turn right around and reference K. St., a Big 5er, as someone we should emulate.

That being said, I'll be there along with the same 10 to 15k alum that attend most home games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

Yes, little old NT should be proud and happy to play in a big Bowl game. NT has not played in a bowl in a decade; fans should be extremely happy with probably the least appealing opponent in any Bowl. ULL or Arkansas State would have brought a lot more fans. A match with Massey Composite rated 75 UNLV should be a big draw.

On TV against the Gator Bowl (Georgia vs Nebraska), Capital (S. Carolina vs Wisconsin) and the Outback (LSU vs Iowa): the Dallas Bowl should really dominate.

I am happy for the team, but this is not a Bowl Game that is going to excite anyone but fans of the two programs, and I am afraid not as many of them as some of you envision.

It is bad luck, not necessarily the fault of anyone and certainly not anyone associated with North Texas, but this Bowl game is going to be pre-judged as one of the worst in the land. I think this is a horrible match-up that is not going to serve NT well. NT is going to be expected to bring a lot of fans to a game that is going to be a hard sell for all but the most ardent of fans.

Again, the team had a great year and definitely deserves a Bowl and great support. As a long, long time fan; I just don't find this match up appealing at all and it is hard to imagine that casual fans or general football fans are going to care enough to attend.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I just refuse to the lay the ground work for an excuse. This what moaning and groaning about our opponent sounds like. Instead of getting excited and recruiting college football fans to the Cotton Bowl for a football game on New Years Day, some have already built in an excuse for the poor attendance. I laugh inside because after what I saw on 11.23, Runner fans would be out in force to watch UTSA play Akron in a bowl game. Bless the orange and blue for their love of UTSA and for supporting the dirty birds no matter who they are playing.

I am sorry but Syracuse did not interest me, Pittsburgh and Boston College interested me more but nothing to the level of Michigan and Iowa. So the dropoff in excitement was not dramatic from Cuse, Pitt or BC to UNLV. In fact, I got excited because of the subplots with both teams making their first appearance in years. I also know the UNLV program trials and tribulations so I am happy for that team too. The other programs would have brought more fans and they also could have beaten us. We are going to win a New Years Bowl game in front of a green dominated crowd to start the New Year.

Choose excitement.

GMG

• Upvote 5

The team and coaches did their part in getting to a bowl game. If is up to us fans to do our part and get people into the seats. That's what it means to be part of the Mean Green Nation, so let's not get sidetracked about not playing who we expected and let's get this thing going in a positive direction. The team needs to take care of getting the victory on the field and the fans need to take care of providing the proper support. After all, how many of you really thought we would even be in a bowl game at the beginning of the year? Let's enjoy what we have and see it as a stepping stone to better things in the future.

GO MEAN GREEN! I'll be at the Cotton Bowl supporting you! Life is good......... :goodjob:

• Upvote 1

Damn straight!

We've got to quit thinking this way.

Why couldn't UNT beat Michigan or Iowa?

Michigan, Iowa, and notre dame...come on. That wasnt happening. That was just setting yourself up for a let down. They would have possibly come for a matchup with a better conference, but not a cusa team.

6-6, Syracuse, BC, Pitt was more realistic, but they chose a better matchup against a higher profile conference and team. Its nothing against UNT.

As far as the percieved drop in fan interest, cuse, Pitt, and BC were good over 20 years ago. Those matchups would have gotten a few old fans out, but many newer generation dont know the difference.

Not much drop off, if any if you dont consider the long shots of Michigan, Iowa, and notre dame.

Michigan, Iowa, and notre dame...come on. That wasnt happening. That was just setting yourself up for a let down. They would have possibly come for a matchup with a better conference, but not a cusa team.

6-6, Syracuse, BC, Pitt was more realistic, but they chose a better matchup against a higher profile conference and team. Its nothing against UNT.

As far as the percieved drop in fan interest, cuse, Pitt, and BC were good over 20 years ago. Those matchups would have gotten a few old fans out, but many newer generation dont know the difference.

Not much drop off, if any if you dont consider the long shots of Michigan, Iowa, and notre dame.

The way I read this board the past week, no single team gets to choose where they go.

I got all hot and bothered about Michigan or Iowa. I admit that this was a bit of a let down. But going from a 12 to a 9.5 isn't that bad. My father and I will be joining a decent sized party of my usual tailgating comerades at the game. I'm sure we will manage to have fun...although, I've been told that I get in a very grumpy mood when the team isn't playing well.... like in the utsa, tulane, and ohio u.

I get a great giggle in each of the ticket tickers today when Rich Phillips(voice of smu athletics) says yet again that UNT will be playing new years day and everybody else in the metroplex area is sitting at home watching...playing with their small privates....

I will enjoy this. It will be fun.

I recommend that all of you get over the carrots that were dangled in front of us and get some perspective(if you are one of the angry ones). I know I'm over it. smile, we are bowling on new years freaking day. go mean green

• Upvote 1

Too much bitchin'. This board has some fickle whiners on it. No pleasing anybody. We're going to a bowl, finally. After we put up a better season than 8-4 in CUSA then we can start bitching about wanting a better opponent. Spoiled rotten little princesses

Even a better season doesnt get us the matchups some want. Rice won the conf ship and they got a 6-6 miss state.

I wouldnt be too thrilled about playing a 6-6 team unless it was a very big name. 6-6 syracuse isnt big. Weak team, if you beat them they are 6-7. didnt even beat a winning team. If you lose, you played in a weak conference...