It's Official: UNT will play in Heart of Dallas Bowl!

Harry

Cowtown, myself and another NT alumni traveled to Las Vegas around 15+ years ago to watch our beloved Mean Green play the Rebels. Crazy that years later...we're playing UNLV in the "HOD" Cotton Bowl on New Years Day.

Very happy for our players, coaches & fans.

Should be a good game.

GMG!

3XL

I was at that game as well! John Robinson was their coach and Darrell Dickey was ours...Craig Helwig was our AD.

I was at that game as well! John Robinson was their coach and Darrell Dickey was ours...Craig Helwig was our AD.

That's right...lol...nice sunny day...we had also brought our wives...who could care less about the game...& I think we lost???

Harry...do you remember what year that was?

Ugh. One Facebook Comment I've seen regarding the game and the price. Makes me crazy.

"$75 is steep for alums too - hopefully it'll be televised."

:sign0094:

To be fair, those of us who frequent here have been anticipating and budgeting for this for a while. If I'm a casual fan with a wife and two kids, $320 (inclusive of Ticketmaster screw you fees) is a pretty serious chunk of change.

To be fair, those of us who frequent here have been anticipating and budgeting for this for a while. If I'm a casual fan with a wife and two kids, $320 (inclusive of Ticketmaster screw you fees) is a pretty serious chunk of change.

Fair enough. I'm not saying it's easy to afford it if you're taking family etc. But it shouldn't be a shocker given it's a bowl game, at the Cotton Bowl and on New Years Day. But you're right about the cost...it's certainly not super cheap.

• Upvote 1

Ugh. One Facebook Comment I've seen regarding the game and the price. Makes me crazy.

"$75 is steep for alums too - hopefully it'll be televised."

:sign0094:

Comparing it to the price of a) our season tickets & b ) other games in town it is very high. This is going to be a huge roadblock to our attendance. FWIW Las Vegas bowl charges $55 ($15 for students) and is a "better" bowl game.

Edited by MDH

Comparing it to the price of a) our season tickets & b ) other games in town it is very high. This is going to be a huge roadblock to our attendance. FWIW Las Vegas bowl charges $55 ($15 for students) and is a "better" bowl game.

Remember this bowl raises money for a worthy charity. I would think a portion of the ticket price goes towards this. Lets please not nit pick about ticket prices on the same day we get the invite for goodness sakes!

Great to finally get our invitation to the Heart of Dallas Bowl , but I will be completely disappointed if TD is right and we have to play UNLV.

They are a fine university, but not of the same caliber of a BIG 10 or even AAC team. We will not get the same kind of media coverage or interest we would if we played a team from one of the other two conferences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great to finally get our invitation to the Heart of Dallas Bowl , but I will be completely disappointed if TD is right and we have to play UNLV.

They are a fine university, but not of the same caliber of a BIG 10 or even AAC team. We will not get the same kind of media coverage or interest we would if we played a team from one of the other two conferences.

Agree 100%

Wonder where #67 Syracuse and #59 Pitt (both 6-6) are going to bowl. UNLV is rated #75 in the Massey Ratings with a good win over SDSU at home but not much else. That said, they also had close a four pt loss to Utah State which only lost by a TD at Fresno State last night in the MWC title game. Oh well, nice payback angles here with UNLV, a team that was 7-3 in its last ten games.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

I went to the 2012 HOD game vs. Penn State. HOD does a solid job of selling to the DFW area so you want to get tickets in the MG section so you can be part of the action. The UH band was in the allotment closest to its corner of the endzone. There are good activities at the stadium that morning and of course the Cotton Bowl is a nice venue thanks to the Red River Rivalry. That's unlike the Coogs' destination this year -- Legion Field.

I hope to get my '65 UNT grad dad to drive up from E TX to attend the HOD game with me. That would be a nice Christmas present. GMG!

• Upvote 1

This:

We have 1 winning season in about a decade and don't have the pull we might have had had most of last decade been winning years. How could we have really expected a P5 school with that in mind? Give DMac a few more years--then we'll get a bowl game with a P5 opponent. You know, UNLV would have preferred to play a Big 10 school, too.

Small steps...(but SRO at Apogee while we're making our small steps).

• Upvote 2