Looking at open offers on offense

GrayEagle

There are fewer open offers on offense. We have not offered a QB or a kicker that has not accepted. We only have one open TE by default since we offered an Athlete who was a QB at the time of the offer.

Offensive Line

Christian Beard........ 6-4 270 Waco Midway

Corey Clements......... 6-8 310 Mesa (AZ) CC

Will Copa.............. 6-8 292 Austin Westlake

Brad Lundblade......... 6-3 286 Argyle Liberty Christian

Clements is the highest-rated player on this list but being a Juco he would have to be an instant starter or the scholarship is a virtual waste. Brett Vito has already reported that Lundblade does not have us in his Top 3. That still leaves two pretty good linemen...especially the 3* Beard. Copa has size but he might take a little longer to develop into a FBS player. He'd be worth it though. Beard has 9 offers and Copa 6 but I believe that our chances are decent with both. I'd love to have both Beard and Copa as well as Clements (if he can start at right tackle).

Tight End

Caleb Chumley..........6-5 225 Longview Pine Tree

As stated above Chumley was to be the quarterback at Pine Tree but I don't believe that he played the position, possibly due to injury. He's very tall and fast and the recruiters project that tight end would be his best position. He has 11 offers though and I haven't heard how we rate. He visited early and I'm not sure that's a good sign. Color him doubtful.

Running Back

Jeffrey Wilson..........6-0 190 Elkhart

Wilson was the returning rushing leader in Class 2A at 2,400+ yards and I believe that he approximately duplicated that yardage again this year. Alleged to have 4.4 forty speed, he seems to be worthy of a chance. Although none of the rating services gave him a rating he does have three other offers so he's gotten someone's attention.

Wide Receiver

Jarvis Bentley........... 6-5 195 Itawamba (MS) CC

Jesse Tate............... 6-6 200 Glendale (AZ) CC

As many fine receivers as we have commitments from you'd think that we couldn't possibly use another receiver, wouldn't you? These offers were made before we had a commit and the situation is very different now. Now, I don't believe that Bentley would come here anyway but Tate just might. It's supposedly between us and Colorado State. I believe in having at least one or two tall receivers and Tate is definitely tall. Of course, we've received a commitment from 6'5" Okeeron Rutherford but he'll probably redshirt. Tate is a 3* receiver so anything's possible.

• Upvote 2

After all the verbals, do we have any more pressing needs at the skill positions?

At this point I just want to see us sign some big uglies.

Yeah, we're basically done at skill player with the exception of maybe one more running back in Jeffery Wilson from Elkhart. It may be a pipe dream, but Caleb Chumley at tight end might be a guy we go after hard.

As for lineman, we're only losing one senior lineman this year (Anyiam) but we also had a freshman quit (Cody Nelson), so that's two open spots.

However, since we're losing 5 scholarship linemen next year (A Johnson, Y'Barbo, Lemon, McKinney, Cam Feldt) we will probably take a few. Also, Avery Fortenberry may be grayshirting so he would count in this class. Then we're looking at adding probably at least two out of Christian Beard, Will Copa, and JUCO Corey Clements.

• Upvote 1

After all the verbals, do we have any more pressing needs at the skill positions?

At this point I just want to see us sign some big uglies.

No... but it depends on what's available from the uglies. I'd rathe have another 6'6" 3* receiver or a 2.000 yard rusher than a non-rated lineman (especially undersized) that we know nothing about and was just recruited to fill up space.

Edited by GrayEagle

With our remaining spots, I would like to see the following:

If We Only Have 4 more spots:

RB: Wilson

OL: Beard

DL: Washington, Martial

If we have 12:

QB: JUCO in either Greer or Polite

RB: Wilson, Pipkin

TE/Ath: Chumley

DT: Martial, DT from Lufkin, DT from Ryan, DT from Lincoln

DE: Washington from Cedar Hill, Clark from Ryan

DB: Betts

With our remaining spots, I would like to see the following:

If We Only Have 4 more spots:

RB: Wilson

DL: Washington, Martial

If we have 12:

QB: JUCO in either Greer or Polite

RB: Wilson, Pipkin

TE/Ath: Chumley

DT: Martial, DT from Lufkin, DT from Ryan, DT from Lincoln

DE: Washington from Cedar Hill, Clark from Ryan

DB: Betts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the DT from Lufkin has ruled is out.

I can't tell you if we will sign 27 kids, or if walkons put on scholarship count towards this class, but I just can't see us only signing 4 more kids. But hey, Vito has the inside info so if he says only 4 more than that's a definite possibility.

• 2 weeks later...