Worst defensive in the country?

calvin

Are we?

My first game last year was the UTA game and it might have been the worst defensive display I had ever seen. Didn't get much better as the year went on, wide open shots in the paint, open looks from 3, it was embarrassing. And never got better.

I was hoping this year would be better but it's not. Went to the Incarnate Word game and we give up 50 something points in the 2nd half. Then watch the BYU game and it is all the same. Open 3's, open shots in the paint, layups and I never see helpside defense. Inexcusable. I probably missed 3 or 4 games in the whole Trilli and Jones era but Benford has all but killed my interest. After sitting in the empty pit for the end of the Trilli era, I thought I would always be a die hard. But Tony B is making it hard.

• Upvote 1

Not likely. I'd imagine if we look like last year by the end of this season, we'll be looking for a new coach.

You're assuming first that we will spend the money to do so when nothing in our past indicates that we will, and second, and even more unlikely, that certain people will swallow their pride and admit their mistakes in this hire.

Heard from several people last year in Hot Springs how much better we would be with TM out of the picture. All I could do was shake my head and go take a hot mineral water bath.

There will be more excuses, more blame, and more justification of why Benford is not at all to blame.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Serious question here, while Benford still has my support and backing (not that its worth much :abe: ) I would have loved to see us pursue and spend the $$ on Larry Brown. Anyone else see what he has done with SMU in 2 years time. This time next year they will crack into the top 25 and never look back. I went to watch them play against Sam Houston State and I was very unimpressed with the offense but he sure does have those fellas playing Defense. Seriously though, Larry Brown would have cost us ______ million dollars. Jankovich who is the highest paid assistant in College Hoops is making 700,000 per year. That is some serious money, but isn't that what it takes to get programs on the right track to making money and keeping themselves afloat??

• Downvote 1

I wonder the type of candidates that will be interested after Benford is done here.

not Fran Frascilla, that is for sure. Not anyone even close to that high a profile. Our window for a shot at a marque coach has completely closed. Coaches would have killed to coach Mitchell. They won't be interested in what will be here when Benford (aka basketball program wrecking ball) is done.

Still think Scott Cross would be interested. That should be the direction we go. A coach at a slightly lower level that has demonstrated the ability to recruit this area and THE ABILITY TO COACH BASKETBALL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Serious question here, while Benford still has my support and backing (not that its worth much :abe: ) I would have loved to see us pursue and spend the $$ on Larry Brown. Anyone else see what he has done with SMU in 2 years time. This time next year they will crack into the top 25 and never look back. I went to watch them play against Sam Houston State and I was very unimpressed with the offense but he sure does have those fellas playing Defense. Seriously though, Larry Brown would have cost us ______ million dollars. Jankovich who is the highest paid assistant in College Hoops is making 700,000 per year. That is some serious money, but isn't that what it takes to get programs on the right track to making money and keeping themselves afloat??

Larry Brown thought he was going to the Big East. He would have never come here to play in the new CUSA, not that we could afford him anyway. I'm sure that he isn't happy to be losing Louisville and the Catholic schools and adding Tulane, ECU, and Tulsa. He will be gone after next season and I doubt SMU ever gets close to the top 25. They play nobody OOC and will probably be .500 in conference at best.

• Upvote 1

Yes you are right, Beating TCU 69-61, losing to Arkansas 89-78 @ Arkansas, losing to Virginia 76-73, and beating Texas A&M 55-52 is no body in OOC. You have no clue what you are talking about. That is also with the remainder of the guys that are not Larry's own hand picked guys. But what do I know.

See above post. Top that with his kid was playing HS ball and it was a lot easier to call a few college games per week and travel to and from than being a full time coach and never seeing his boy play. I think Fran makes plenty of money traveling in the summer doing clinics, top that with his earnings from broadcasting. He probably has no desire to coach. I guess those are the two arguments.

Honest question, if Franchilla is such a great coach why has he not been on a bench in years?

Don't know, but do know that when he was on the bench, he experienced success.

Tony Benford had never even occupied that seat, and boy oh boy did it ever show last year (and continues to this year).

• Upvote 1