Looking again at the open offers

GrayEagle

There are still a number of offers to some good talent that have yet to be determined. This list is some of the more significant defensive players:

Defensive Backs

Dominique Barnett 6-1 175 Alief Elsik

Tre Betts........ 5-11 176 Sand Springs OK

Peyton Hendrix... 6-2 190 Dallas Bishop Dunne

Josh Keys........ 6-2 180 Mississippi Gulf Coast CC

Nehemiah Wagner.. 6-0 170 Mesquite Horn

Hendrix and Keys are out of the question...both have 20 offers. Barnett and Wagner are iffy. Each has 9 offers. I believe that we may be in Barnett's Top 5 but I don't know about Wagner. Both look capable of a future starting role here. Betts is a much stronger possibility. The 19th rated player in Oklahoma wants to come here and has a lot of potential. He's rated higher than the three committments that we have and I have no clue as to why we didn't accept him early.

Defensive Line

Jerard Carter....... 6-3 245 Spring Dekaney

Aaron Jenkins....... 6-2 290 Dallas Lincoln

Max Martial......... 6-2 305 Iowa Western CC

Darrius Montgomery.. 6-1 265 Baytown Goose Creek Memorial

Hafokam Olie........ 6-0 280 Euless Trinity

Marcus Smith........ 6-3 305 Highland (KS) CC

Xavier Washington... 6-2 240 Cedar Hill

D J Williams........ 6-4 275 Lufkin

J T Williams........ 6-2 285 Denton Ryan

The only player unreachable is D J Williams with J T Williams near that category. Both have been offered by Missouri, the main competition, and D J is on hold with Oklahoma. The only other player with more than three other offers is Marcus Smith. He has 8 offers but as I recall they're at our level or below. I don't believe that Olie will open the Tongan pipeline but at least he hasn't been offered by one of the Utah schools. I'm not that excited about the two JC players except for the fact that they have size. I think that Carter, Jenkins and Washington are exceptional talent and I would like to have all three. Montgomery appears to be a good player but more of a project.

Linebackers

Christian Britt..... 6-2 210 Ingleside

Jordan Harris....... 6-2 225 Copiah-Lincoln (MS) CC

Marquaveon Jones.... 6-2 210 Dallas Skyline

Akii Smith.......... 6-2 220 NE Oklahoma JC

I can't get excited about any of these. Harris and Smith would have trouble cracking the two deep and they only have two years eligibility. Jones and Britt are o.k. but we have three new backers this coming year (A. Wallace, Garner, Montgomery) and we need more help elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

I think you could mark off the safety from Bishop Dunne as well.

WOMP WOMP thats what happens when you don't read the entire post. This weather has me all out of sorts.

Edited by GMG24

Well then, let's get him to Denton! Paging Mr. Trice to Lincoln High School...paging Mr. Trice.

From article after Toledo visit...

Being from Dallas, Texas, location may be the deal breaker for the Rockets in Jenkins' recruitment. "Location is a big factor," said Jenkins. "I'm extremely close to my mom and my brother."

Well then, let's get him to Denton! Paging Mr. Trice to Lincoln High School...paging Mr. Trice.

No not paging, Sending Mr. Trice and his minions to as many legal and rule abiding visits as possible. This should be an all out assault to show this kid how big of a deal he is to UNT.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the list of these guys that we could get is shrinking. Jerard Carter is committed to Houston, Marcus Smith is Texas Tech bound, and Martial signed with Idaho.

Not to mention both Williams boys are out of reach, and Hafoka Olie seems to be as well. We have tough competition for both Montgomery and Jenkins but these are the recruiting battles we need to start winning.

At defensive end, landing Xavier Washington would be huge. He'll have a chance to play immediately, but schools like Nevada are after him hard. Another potential guy was Snow Junior College defensive end Tre James, but he signed with Toledo today. And East Mississippi JUCO defensive end Jimmie Gipson, who reportedly had an offer out from us, signed with South Alabama today. Seems like it might have to be Xavier Washington or bust here.

JUCO might be out of the question after today's mid-term enrollee signing day. Maybe we find one, but he wouldn't be here until fall camp. Still along way until February 5th, but we need to put the full court press on guys like Xavier Washington and Aaron Jenkins.