WFAA George Riba: UNT waiting for word on Bowl

Harry

DENTON - University of North Texas Head Football Coach Dan McCarney just completed his third season at North Texas, and the turnaround under his leadership has been remarkable.

When we got here, they were 1-16 at home. 1-16, McCarney recalled.

When we brought him [in], he was known for doing this, immediately, said North Texas Athletic Director Rick Villarreal. He changed the culture of our kids about how to approach life, how to approach academics, and how they approached the things they were doing.

Not one player has ever been part of a winning season in college, not one player has ever been to a bowl game, McCarney said. To do that and to share it and to have this opportunity, that means more than I can put into words.

In their first year in Conference USA, the school won eight games, the most in 10 years for UNT and the most for McCarney since he was the head coach at Iowa State 13 years ago.

Read more: http://www.wfaa.com/sports/UNT-waiting-for-word-on-where-they-are-headed-for-bowl-234692641.html

I really thought this was a 3 or 4 win team before the season. A lot would've had to go right for a winning season and it did. When you step back and look at it further, this team could easily be 10-1. Oh well, 8-4 and a likely bowl bid is a good start for a program that has been wandering for too long. My only concern now is, can UNT keep McCarney or more importantly assistants such as both coordinators. I would think that McCarney wouldn't be going anywhere at this stage of his career.

Good stuff by George Riba.

Coach Mac sounds almost exactly like the late Jim Wacker who used to coach at TCU. The only difference is that, instead of saying things like "gee whiz" or "golly gee" like coach Wacker, coach Mac will cut lose (on the sidelines) with some good old fashioned cussing.

If both Coach Mac and RV knew there was going to be an interview, it would have been nice if they had worn some official NT gear.

• Upvote 1

Man I'm so tired of Mac always talking about how pathetic things were before he got here. Maybe he could squeeze in how the team played in that dump of Fouts field and the administration paid its coaches half of what they are being paid. I also don't remember Texas Southern and Idaho coming to Denton.

Happy with the turnaround but let's see if he can sustain the bowl run with his own players.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

Coach Mac sounds almost exactly like the late Jim Wacker who used to coach at TCU. The only difference is that, instead of saying things like "gee whiz" or "golly gee" like coach Wacker, coach Mac will cut lose (on the sidelines) with some good old fashioned cussing.

If both Coach Mac and RV knew there was going to be an interview, it would have been nice if they had worn some official NT gear.

Come on now, Bill, you didn't like that turquois golf shirt Coach Mac had on? Coach Mac is always wearing Mean Green gear is what's unusual about the Channel 8 interview with good ol' George Riba. (Gosh, I think Riba has been in DFW just as long as me--circa, 1972).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I was hoping someone would say that. Coach Mac reminds me so much of Wacker.

Man I'm so tired of Mac always talking about how pathetic things were before he got here. Maybe he could squeeze in how the team played in that dump of Fouts field and the administration paid its coaches half of what they are being paid. I also don't remember Texas Southern and Idaho coming to Denton.

Happy with the turnaround but let's see if he can sustain the bowl run with his own players

I'm the exact opposite--I hope he tells this same story everyday for the rest of his career here. I want him to remind everyone of just how little this place cared about football and athletics before he got here. We played in the worst stadium in FBS football. We played in the worst conference in FBS football. We kept one of the worst FBS coaches of all time around here for a 4th year, even though he had managed to win all of 5 games, 3 of which were against one team (WKU), who happened to be the only team in FBS that was worse than us--all because they refused to buy him out an extra $275k.

I hope we never forget where we came from...

• Upvote 4

I hope we never forget where we came from...

He also hopes we never forget how many bowls he's coached in, his time at Florida, or his national title. ;)

I'll deal with it, but I could do without him mentioning our past every week. I don't need a coach flaming our past in every interview to remember it.

• Upvote 1