Yahoo! Bowl Projections- UNT left home

Green Nightmare

Yeah I read the article this morning and couldnt believe North Texas wasnt even mentioned for any of the bowl games. Im pretty sure Heart of Dallas will give us the invite, especially if Rice gets into the Liberty Bowl. Besides they like us and have their bowl reps have been to several of our games this year and liked what they saw.

Also North Texas can pull alot of students and alumni in a Cotton Bowl game compared to any other CUSA team

Just hope our people are doing everything they can to get us into the Dallas game and not just sitting around and not doing anythin

GO MEAN GREEN.

If we don't get into hod it will be because we didn't win when it mattered, not because our athletic dept is supposed to find time to lobby bowl officials outside of hosting them for a couple games, begging a prestigious non BCS location to take a team that is 8-4 over a team that is 9-4 and lost in a championship game to play a BCS conference team.
  • Upvote 1

We will go to the HoD Bowl...there's just no way that this bowl game is going to turn away from a local CUSA team to play a fill-in team from some far away place (see Syracuse or Oregon State). If Rice and Syracuse play in that game, they would be lucky to have 10k make their way thru the Cotton Bowl gates. If UNT plays Syracuse, the HoD bowl gets 30k. Rice will be in the Hawaii Bowl, unless they beat Marshall and end up in the Liberty Bowl. Its what makes the most sense for the conference, for this bowl game, and for our university.

As I posted the other day, if SMU has so much pull as to keep us out of this bowl, with the hundreds of thousands of UNT students, faculty, alumni, and fans in the Metroplex, then we might as well just quit football. I'm not even kidding, either.

While I fully expect us to be in a bowl, likely HOD, I will play devils advocate on this. Everyone is focusing on who would bring more fans to the game, but TV drives the bus in college football these days. I assume that the network will have some say in it and they will want the team with the most national recognition that the casual football fan in Illinios or North Carolina might recognize and be more apt to watch the game. They need to sell advertising and viewer share partially drives what they make on that. Rice, and some other schools, would have more national name recognition that we do at this point.

Could that come into play, and put us in a situation where we get left out since CUSA has more teams eligible than bowls? If that did and Rice lost conference championship game, I could see from that perspective Rice getting to HOD over us because they are both semi local and have more national recognition. Then it becomes pretty dicey for us.

I will hang up and listen.

We will go to the HoD Bowl...there's just no way that this bowl game is going to turn away from a local CUSA team to play a fill-in team from some far away place (see Syracuse or Oregon State). If Rice and Syracuse play in that game, they would be lucky to have 10k make their way thru the Cotton Bowl gates. If UNT plays Syracuse, the HoD bowl gets 30k. Rice will be in the Hawaii Bowl, unless they beat Marshall and end up in the Liberty Bowl. Its what makes the most sense for the conference, for this bowl game, and for our university.

As I posted the other day, if SMU has so much pull as to keep us out of this bowl, with the hundreds of thousands of UNT students, faculty, alumni, and fans in the Metroplex, then we might as well just quit football. I'm not even kidding, either.

While this all makes a lot of sense, I do think that some people on here are underestimating all the behind the scenes negotiating of athletic directors, bowl executives, city officials, and conference administrators that leads to the invites. Unless you are considered a "big name" program and/or have a massive travelling fan base, there are no guarantees.

While this all makes a lot of sense, I do think that some people on here are underestimating all the behind the scenes negotiating of athletic directors, bowl executives, city officials, and conference administrators that leads to the invites. Unless you are considered a "big name" program and/or have a massive travelling fan base, there are no guarantees.

Not really. There are contractual bowl tie ins. This years match up is between a CUSA and Big 10 school. If there are teams eligible to fill it from these conferences it comes down to those conferences. "Big name" does not matter. HOD has to pick a CUSA school, why would it be Rice over us?

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

There are 2 teams (Rice & Middle Tennessee) in the Yahoo bowl line-up that we beat this Fall, so who is the Einstein who came up with any scenario that leaves out an 8 win (and most entertaining) Mean Green football team who (again) just happen to have 2 wins over 2 of Yahoos projected bowl teams? (You also have to wonder if Yahoo even knows that UNT beat Rice and MIddle, too).

I understand that CUSA Commish' Brit Banowsky needs to take care of the Rice Owls since they are a CUSA veteran. So easy to understand that part.

Moving ahead....isn't this mostly all about the CUSA office being respectul to the Rice Owls as to see if they beat Marshall or not? How would you feel if you were a Rice alum and CUSA officials approved right off the bat giving an invite to UNT without seeing what the Owls do against "the Herd" ...................even though you know because UNT beat the Owls they (R.U) will probably get to fly way out west and listen to Hawaii Calls radio music (and other interesting island activities) for about 72 hours in preparation for a bowl game?

IF.....we got kicked in the family jewels and got left out of any bowl with an 8 win team then that is when we start making initial inquiries to the new UNT president,,ie, the out-going rep for the entire MWC this..............

......................"looking ahead, what would be the chance down the road if we could got a travel partner (or 2) here in Texas and would then go to the Mountain West Conference (with new east/west divisions) since its no secret the MWC still wants a Texas presence?"

AND THEN THIS: UH and SMU will one day see the folly of going with the AAC playing schools that have no traveling fans and who Texans (specifically Coog & Pony fans) could care less about and then those 2 schools coveting those 2 (or 3) MWC spots as they would be thinking they'll both be the next TCU to move up to a Power 5?

Any of this make any sense at all? Oh, probably not.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Not really. There are contractual bowl tie ins. This years match up is between a CUSA and Big 10 school. If there are teams eligible to fill it from these conferences it comes down to those conferences. "Big name" does not matter. HOD has to pick a CUSA school, why would it be Rice over us?

If Rice wants to play in the HOD and so do we then I can guarantee you there is some serious negotiating and lobbying going on.

Also, take Boston College into consideration: They have a conference tie-in to play in Shreveport but may be able to exert some power to get out of that bowl and into one unaffiliated with the ACC. Furthermore, look at the Liberty Bowl. The SEC has the discretionary power to decide if they want to play a CUSA opponent. For the most part I think you're right about conference tie-ins, but much of this is not as set in stone as some erroneously believe.

If Rice wants to play in the HOD and so do we then I can guarantee you there is some serious negotiating and lobbying going on.

Yes, within the conference, because we are both CUSA teams. There is a contract between CUSA, the B10, the B12 and the HoD bowl organization. This year the contract calls for a CUSA team and a B10 team.

Also, take Boston College into consideration

Again, this is only because the B10 looks like it may not be able fulfill its end of the contract this year, and that leaves the HoD bowl able to find the best team it wants opposite the CUSA team. The ACC 11 bowl eligible teams, and not that many bowl slots, so it is trying to convince the HoD committee to invite it.

The PAC10 is in the same boat, and is also trying to convince the HoD people to invite them. Meanwhile, the HoD committee wants to land Notre Dame, and is fighting with the pinstripe bowl to convince them to come here.

If the B10 could fill all the slots it is obligated to, none of this would be happening. It may still work out that two B10 teams don't get a BCA bowl invite, and then they will be able to fill the slots.

TL;DR: It's not a free for all, there are rules.

• Upvote 1

Politics, my dear friends, politics. We don't have it and some of the other also rans do. I mentioned earlier that SMU will do all they can to keep us out of their local bowl...believe it or not. I would not be surprised if we are left out, although I cannot imagine Rice being much of a player. Anyway, brace for disappointment or be delighted if we get into a bowl. Hayden Fry could not get us in a bowl in the 70's and we stayed home, although there were a lot less bowl games.

Hayden Fry turned down the Independence bowl. We had an invite, ironically to the same bowl La.Tech turned down, and we turned it down, also.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, within the conference, because we are both CUSA teams. There is a contract between CUSA, the B10, the B12 and the HoD bowl organization. This year the contract calls for a CUSA team and a B10 team.

Again, this is only because the B10 looks like it may not be able fulfill its end of the contract this year, and that leaves the HoD bowl able to find the best team it wants opposite the CUSA team. The ACC 11 bowl eligible teams, and not that many bowl slots, so it is trying to convince the HoD committee to invite it.

The PAC10 is in the same boat, and is also trying to convince the HoD people to invite them. Meanwhile, the HoD committee wants to land Notre Dame, and is fighting with the pinstripe bowl to convince them to come here.

If the B10 could fill all the slots it is obligated to, none of this would be happening. It may still work out that two B10 teams don't get a BCA bowl invite, and then they will be able to fill the slots.

TL;DR: It's not a free for all, there are rules.

I think you missed my point of Boston College as an example. It has absolutely nothing to do with the HOD.

Yes, you are correct that it is not a "free for all," and I never said that it was. I've simply been saying that there is usually some negotiation going on behind the scenes during bowl selection season, and there is often at least a little wiggle room with the supposedly iron-clad conference tie-in contracts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are right. However, bottom line is UNT will out draw Rice in attendance by a large margin. If HOD is in the business of making revenue, which they are, then no amount of lobbying should dissuade them from picking UNT over Rice.

• Upvote 2

Bluebonnet

Or Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl......one last time in the Astrodome. (I saw Fry's SMU beat Fairbank's OU team in that bowl game and one other Bluebonnet Bowl game when DKR's Horns beat Johnny Vaught's Ole Miss Rebels---not sure why they didn't stay with that name down in H-Town quite frankly.

Still so sad to see that the world's first indoor stadium will be imploded.

Still so sad to see that the world's first indoor stadium will be imploded.

Sadducees are sad, you see.

I do see the sense in the argument about TV revenue by putting Rice in the HoD, but the same would hold true if they went to Hawai'i. Does HoD get a share of the TV revenue? If not then it makes more sense to say Aloha to the Owls, since they are probably the only school in the conference likely to have the same number of fans travel to any bowl they go to.

I believe Yahoo is the sports radio station now syndicated on The Ticket now, which would make them the people who thought Scott Ferrall would make a good radio voice. That alone negates almost any sports opinion they may have.

That's CBS Sports Radio, my friend. While the Ticket does syndicate Yahoo! for the other hours of the evening, CBS has a contract with all Cumulus stations to air Ferrall during his time slot.

That's why The Fan airs their version of the Top 10 from 12-1 and doesn't pick up CBS's syndicated feed until 1:00.

You are right. However, bottom line is UNT will out draw Rice in attendance by a large margin. If HOD is in the business of making revenue, which they are, then no amount of lobbying should dissuade them from picking UNT over Rice.

Oh, I would think that you're right. I was just pointing out that there could be some negotiations going on that we don't necessarily know about. Maybe not...just a thought.

Sadducees are sad, you see.

I do see the sense in the argument about TV revenue by putting Rice in the HoD, but the same would hold true if they went to Hawai'i. Does HoD get a share of the TV revenue? If not then it makes more sense to say Aloha to the Owls, since they are probably the only school in the conference likely to have the same number of fans travel to any bowl they go to.

If we don't get an Indian Summer day on 1/1/14 but rather what we're going to get much of the next 2 days here in DFW, we all would have wished for our team an invite to that bowl in Honolulu. Sorta' funny how weather in Dallas for 1/1/14 has hardly been discussed on this forum--not that we can do anything about the weather, of course.. Any Farmer's Almanac forecast for that day at the HoD Bowl?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/

On January 1st, 2013, the closest available weather station to Dallas, TX (DALLAS LOVE FIELD, TX), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 50F Low Temp: 39F Average Temp: 44.4F Dewpoint: 38.7F Wind Speed: 7.6 Knots Precipitation Amount: 0.26 Inches Snow Depth: n/a Observations: Rain/Drizzle

On January 1st, 2012, the closest available weather station to Dallas, TX (DALLAS LOVE FIELD, TX), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 66.9F Low Temp: 39.9F Average Temp: 53.4F Dewpoint: 31.6F Wind Speed: 9.2 Knots Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches Snow Depth: n/a Observations: n/a On January 1st, 2011, the closest available weather station to Dallas, TX (DALLAS LOVE FIELD, TX), reported the following conditions: High Temp: 51.1F Low Temp: 30.9F Average Temp: 40.3F Dewpoint: 14.2F Wind Speed: 7.4 Knots Precipitation Amount: 0.06 Inches Snow Depth: n/a Observations: n/a

On January 1st, 2010, the closest available weather station to Dallas, TX (DALLAS LOVE FIELD, TX), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 51.8F Low Temp: 28.4F Average Temp: 37F Dewpoint: 27.5F Wind Speed: 5.5 Knots Precipitation Amount: 0.09 Inches Snow Depth: n/a Observations:

Rain/Drizzle

On January 1st, 2009, the closest available weather station to Dallas, TX (DALLAS LOVE FIELD, TX), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 66.2F Low Temp: 37.4F Average Temp: 47.4F Dewpoint: 29.5F Wind Speed: 8.7 Knots Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches Snow Depth: n/a Observations: n/a