Brigham Young (12/3/13)

CMJ

I love that 5 "mormon white boys" apparently can't play ball…. Doesn't BYU have several black guys who significantly contribute?? What about Denver did you complain every time JJ and Co. got whipped up and down the floor in their free lance motion offense?? What an ignorant comment. Does no one in this board remember how many JC guys coach Mac had to bring in when first taking over the program? Does no one on this board realize where Benford came from and who he coached under?? The King at bringing in JC guys Buzz Williams.

• Upvote 1

2011- 4 JC players 1 transfer (on the roster)

2012- 10 JC and transfers

2013- 17 JC and transfers

These are his first three years. I do not see anyone calling for Mac's head b/c he has a roster loaded with JC players. These guys played little to no Defense under JJ and I am the biggest JJ supporter there is. But it takes time to get kids to buy into the way you as a HC want them to perform. I am willing to wait and see what Coach Benford can do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I do not see anyone calling for Mac's head b/c he has a roster loaded with JC players. These guys played little to no Defense under JJ and I am the biggest JJ supporter there is. But it takes time to get kids to buy into the way you as a HC want them to perform. I am willing to wait and see what Coach Benford can do.

There is a huge different between turning around a program that manages 85 schollies vs. one that manages, what? 12?

Plenty of evidence to support the expectation that year 2 in basketball should reveal improvement. Is it enough to apply across the board, without exception? Of course not.

But where there is smoke...

Regarding Mac: No one is calling for his head, but there is plenty of chitchat about imperfections, and lots of eyes are on this next recruiting class. He has won a lot of people over in 3 years, but if he doesn't build on this with a notch up in recruiting and sustained wins, he will get his due.

Edited by greenminer

BYU lost to #21 UMass yesterday 105-96. Before people on here say "oh, they lost to the number 21 team in the country, big deal," remember, the argument was not that we lost to BYU or their "white boys." It was that we had no semblance of an offense, we kept running that sloppy zone that was getting penetrated and shot through like crazy, and we were down 40 late in the game.

We aren't UMass, obviously, but they, along with everyone else, have at least out up good point totals on BYU all year. And no, BYU is not a top 20 team like some on here have said. We didn't get run out of the building by Duke, it was a good, not great BYU team.

I'm going to enjoy the HoD bowl announcement today though. Bought my tickets this morning and am ecstatic.

• Upvote 1

Does no one on this board realize where Benford came from and who he coached under?? The King at bringing in JC guys Buzz Williams.

Oh, I realize where he came from.

The only way I'd stop hoping for an asteroid to fall from the sky and crush Buzz Williams? If he were doused in corrosive acid and melting in agony, like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'd wish for the asteroid to miss him, just so that he'd have to suffer a little bit longer before making college sports (and the world) better through his departure.

Hitler's estate threatened me with a defamation lawsuit if I didn't stop mentioning him in the same sentence with Buzz Williams.

If I had a choice between Buzz Williams coaching UNT basketball, or Jerry Sandusky coaching Pop Warner football... I'd go ahead and pre-dim the lights in the locker room to help Jerry set the proper mood.

He awful. He just awful.

- - - - - - - - - -

Going back a tick, because I missed the comments responding to my post about rebounding: I'll grant that rebounding isn't even in the top 10 of things we desperately need to improve with this team. But, that's a sad commentary in itself, when you consider that an opponent roster loaded up with non-D1, transitionals, and bottom tier opponents aggregate to just outside a top 10% rebounding stat in their play against us. And, without some of the metrics you can get for NBA, it's tough to make a quantifiable argument about the nature and quality of our rebounds.

I'm not saying it ought to be issue #1 in practice, and I'm not even the one who made particular mention of it. But I understand what the guy who complained about it was talking about, especially coming off a game where BYU outdid us with SIXTY rebounds to our 38, despite them shooting just under 50% on the game.

It's all irrelevant, because this guy won't last and it looks more and more likely that this season is going to be the end of his run. It's just too bad that we didn't fire him last August.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty bad lose. They cans till do some damage this year but that was a game they shouldn't have lost. I still believe they are a great team.

How many games have you seen them play? That one game against us? We made them look way better than they are. They're a team with plenty of weaknesses and we exposed none of them. You aren't convincing us that they're a great team and we shouldn't be as concerned about that blowout where they were beating us by 40 points. You're just lying to yourself Andrew.

Andrew, you are not a Benford backer. You are seen as one because you say things like "they're a top 20 team and they'll only lose to top 25-30 teams." Then after they lose to Loyola Marymount you're making excuses for them, just like you do for Benford.

And yes, please define the word "great" as it relates to sports teams. Calling this BYU team great is unfair to teams that actually deserve(d) to be called great.

• Upvote 5

How many games have you seen them play? That one game against us? We made them look way better than they are. They're a team with plenty of weaknesses and we exposed none of them. You aren't convincing us that they're a great team and we shouldn't be as concerned about that blowout where they were beating us by 40 points. You're just lying to yourself Andrew.

What? I'm told by several that you don't have to see a team play to know everything possible about that team. And, now here you go suggesting that Andrew's analysis of a team might just be a tad off because he has not seen many games.

Good grief...which is it? Hard to keep the logic straight around here these days.

What? I'm told by several that you don't have to see a team play to know everything possible about that team. And, now here you go suggesting that Andrew's analysis of a team might just be a tad off because he has not seen many games.

Good grief...which is it? Hard to keep the logic straight around here these days.

Forming an opinion of a team off one game can be misleading. Especially if their opponent was us for that one game.

As someone who has seen this year's team play multiple times, I would say not in our case. If you saw the team play last year you aren't really missing any groundbreaking stuff this year. Same problems (problem) as last year.

Then why knock Andrew? He saw BYU play at least once...you say one does not need to see a team play at all to have informed opinions. Seems Andrew is one up!

Then why knock Andrew? He saw BYU play at least once...you say one does not need to see a team play at all to have informed opinions. Seems Andrew is one up!

Well, he thought they were a top 20 team after he watched them play us. They're 8-6 and just lost to Loyola Marymount by 11. Either he saw a bad sample or he isn't good at judging teams. Andrew's an okay guy in my book so I'm not going to suggest the latter.

Well, he thought they were a top 20 team after he watched them play us. They're 8-6 and just lost to Loyola Marymount by 11. Either he saw a bad sample or he isn't good at judging teams. Andrew's an okay guy in my book so I'm not going to suggest the latter.

Agree with you...Andrew us an okay guy. I've enjoyed getting to know him.

• Upvote 1

BYU lost tonight to Pepperdine and is now 8-7, and just 1-5 since they played us. I promise this is the last time I bump this thread and I'll stop beating this dead horse. Just don't believe the junk we were hearing that this was a top 20 team that had us down by 40 and that they were beating us that bad because they are just that good.

Or... there is this rumor going around. That was a top 20 team that beat us in Provo. However, whenever they've been going on the road the opposing coaches have asked their arena security to confiscate any and all lunch pails before allowing BYU to enter the visiting team locker room. This has effectively incapacitated the Stormin Mormons; hence their losing streak.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2