The Curious Case of Connor Means: Why UNT offered

MeanGreenZen

Wow outstanding post. You make great points, the only thing I can say in response is this kid's junior film JUMPED out at me and evidently everyone else. We don't know the factors that played into his senior season. Did he lose all of his best offensive linemen or receivers? The bottom line is that this kid has VERY good speed and size. Here's his video for whoever may have missed it. Some guys have average or below average seasons... it happens. Doesn't take away their size, speed and potential to contribute at the D-I level.

Great info! Appreciate all the work. Our coaches must see a diamond in the rough.

I have to say I'm really looking forward to this spring's QB battle between Williams, Berglund, and McNulty. Williams may have the inside shot based on comments from August but I wouldn't be surprised if any of these three started our home opener next year.

Edit: One more things ... I love the "stone-footed age" comment.

Edited by NorthTexan95

I agree and have for a while, following his high school season.

We offered him because he has the size and had a decent junior year as a first-year varsity starter. The thinking was that he'd take a big step in his second season as a starter, but he regressed statistically.

We won't need him to start any time soon with Dajon most likely getting the redshirt. Means could potentially move to tight end or back up Dajon for four years and compete for the starting qb spot as a redshirt senior.

I agree and have for a while, following his high school season.

We offered him because he has the size and had a decent junior year as a first-year varsity starter. The thinking was that he'd take a big step in his second season as a starter, but he regressed statistically.

We won't need him to start any time soon with Dajon most likely getting the redshirt. Means could potentially move to tight end or back up Dajon for four years and compete for the starting qb spot as a redshirt senior.

You mean as a redshirt junior after DW is taken in the 2017 draft?

• Upvote 1

Cedrick Hardman would have been considered average by some when he was at his Texas HS and listed as 5' 10" 185 pounds.

While at North Texas Cedrick Hardman grew to 6'5" 240, became an All Conference player, an NFL #1 draft choice and then

an All Pro for several seasons. Not sure why he is still not in the NFL Hall of Fame since he hold the SF 49'ers

record of most sacks (whether that stat was official back in that day or not; fact remains that Cedrick still has the most sacks for that NFL team).

I'm glad we have Connor as an early commit and I don't know the purpose of these kind of threads when these kids and their parents are reading them quite frankly but that...........IMHO, of course.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I'm glad we have Connor as an early commit and I don't know the purpose of these kind of threads when these kids and their parents are reading them quite frankly but that...........IMHO, of course.

I bet no one is more intimate with the drop-off in production than Connor himself. If he reads this, I'm sure he isn't shocked.

Good thing for him is, he has a scholarship to UNT in his pocket, and will be facing some tough competition for QB reps. If he comes in and works hard, he'll get looks.

• Upvote 1

Even if his stats aren;t stellar, As long as he has the mental toughness to always work his ass off and improve, I'm good with him. I call this the Quinn effect. I don't think I've EVER seen someone strive so much to make themselves better regardless what they do as Johnny Quinn.

I bet no one is more intimate with the drop-off in production than Connor himself. If he reads this, I'm sure he isn't shocked.

Good thing for him is, he has a scholarship to UNT in his pocket, and will be facing some tough competition for QB reps. If he comes in and works hard, he'll get looks.

Not to mention he starts practicing with us next month.

Since Connor will be enrolling in the spring he will be able to practice with us once the fall semester ends. Probably just scout team and such, but a chance to get his feet wet nonetheless.

Not to mention he starts practicing with us next month.

Since Connor will be enrolling in the spring he will be able to practice with us once the fall semester ends. Probably just scout team and such, but a chance to get his feet wet nonetheless.

Not saying you're wrong but I have never heard of this. Spring yes, but bowl practice?

Not saying you're wrong but I have never heard of this. Spring yes, but bowl practice?

No, it's a real thing. He doesn't get to travel with the team and he isn't eligible to play in the game, but he can practice at UNT with the team. If we travel to a bowl then he wouldn't be able to practice with the team at the bowl site, but he can participate in the practices at our field. Not the bowl sponsored practices at the stadium of the bowl.

Sorry. Felt like I repeated myself a lot there.

• Upvote 1

How can any fans or alums from a Lone Star State D1 school ever forget how unknown commodity and (then) Texas HS recruit Drew Brees could not out of our (then) 10 (?) D1 schools to give him the time of day and how he had to shop himself to Purdue U? That story might tell many of us that we should just let em' get to campus to see what they can do with a good college QB-developing coaching staff. (Might Drew's NFL team win another Super Bowl this season)?

Schools like Boise State, Kansas State, Iowa State and North Texas will rarely (if ever) have a Top 25 natonally recruited class and will most always have to recruit kids who have the basic, natural skills that we all hope will develop at the next level.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We're going to have some great young receivers here next season.

With all due respect, we have no idea whether they will be great or not. They are HS seniors. Can anyone tell me the name of the tall kid that was gonna be our wife receiver savior a couple if years ago, but transferred or quit because he couldn't make the 2 deep? I dang sure can't remember.

Good to get a couple if nice HS receivers. Hopefully they will be good college receivers. Only time will tell.