One last comment on UTSA

Harry

I promised myself I would move on to Tulsa after 24 hours but there is one thing I need to get off my chest.

The reason that UTSA won that ball game is because they played to win. Even when they were up by two TD's they never took their pedal off the metal...they kept throwing the ball on first down and going for our throat. UTSA played with a sense of urgency even when they had a comfortable lead.

We on the other hand played not to lose. We took very few chances until late in the game. We were satisfied to run the ball on every first down even though they knew we would. It is as if we expected them to turn the ball over. You shouldn't build an offensive strategy that requires turnovers from the other team. We dig a hole and expect to start getting aggressive but our defense couldn't stop them. We aren't comfortable playing in a hurry, from behind and it showed at the end.

So hats off to UTSA for playing BALANCED and using an AGGRESSIVE gameplan. We have been so strong all year defensively and on special teams. Our offense was our weakness and it was exposed on Saturday.

I promised myself I would move on to Tulsa after 24 hours but there is one thing I need to get off my chest.

The reason that UTSA won that ball game is because they played to win. Even when they were up by two TD's they never took their pedal off the metal...they kept throwing the ball on first down and going for our throat. UTSA played with a sense of urgency even when they had a comfortable lead.

We on the other hand played not to lose. We took very few chances until late in the game. We were satisfied to run the ball on every first down even though they knew we would. It is as if we expected them to turn the ball over. You shouldn't build an offensive strategy that requires turnovers from the other team. We dig a hole and expect to start getting aggressive but our defense couldn't stop them. We aren't comfortable playing in a hurry, from behind and it showed at the end.

So hats off to UTSA for playing BALANCED and using an AGGRESSIVE gameplan. We have been so strong all year defensively and on special teams. Our offense was our weakness and it was exposed on Saturday.

Was it ever....DT played like he did in the previous game..only worse....the play calling was just terrible, we were way too conservative....guys, so much of this is poor game plan and play calling. All you have to do is look at a good offensive team and you can see how we in no way match up in the routes and playing calling...and yes, often we play not to lose...this is a mistake. If we were having to depend on the offense to win, it would be tough very often. I warned everyone not to take this team lightly...they did put 35 points up against OSU and Baylor showed you just how tough that can be.

• Upvote 1

My point is this, we play a style that helps us beat up on teams that we are better than. Against teams that are our equal, see Ohio, Ball State, Rice, Tulane -- it will always be close.

I'm not saying it's a bad way to go but you have to admire UTSA. They play a style that will allow them to win some games they are not supposed to win. When it's clicking it is fun to watch.

I noticed that the UTSA guys instead of just standing around waiting on the sidelines in between timeouts they were jumping around getting all hyped up for the play. I saw our guys.. well.. not doing anything like that. Just standing around. Huge difference in energy levels for this game.

I don't know if it was just me but I saw a couple guys on their offensive line that were just huge - man beasts. I distinctly remember thinking - holy crap that dude is massive. We're going to have a hard time with these guys.

Was it ever....DT played like he did in the previous game..only worse....the play calling was just terrible, we were way too conservative....guys, so much of this is poor game plan and play calling. All you have to do is look at a good offensive team and you can see how we in no way match up in the routes and playing calling...and yes, often we play not to lose...this is a mistake. If we were having to depend on the offense to win, it would be tough very often. I warned everyone not to take this team lightly...they did put 35 points up against OSU and Baylor showed you just how tough that can be.

Speaking of play calling... How can Mac and Chico explain why Brelan (arguably the best player on the field) has 3 touches on offense all game (1 rush and 2 passes)?

Anything less than 10 touches per game for Brelan is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how much the defense might focus on Brelan - a good OC will figure out how to get the ball into the hands of the best player on the field.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree, Mac played like he knew that NT was going to play their usual dominating second half. Unfortunately, although they did play marginally better, they were at best even in that half. The strange thing even with his ultra conservative offense, NT could have won that game. Make you wonder if he had opened up the game much earlier if NT couldn't have won going away.

Losers always say something like this was their Super Bowl, but it was true. They were sky high for this game and NT inexplicably was not. Playing for a conference championship didn't appear to be enough to motivate the team including the coaching staff.

Again hats off to Coker and the UTSA team they taught NT a hard lesson Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Losers always say something like this was their Super Bowl, but it was true. They were sky high for this game and NT inexplicably was not. Playing for a conference championship didn't appear to be enough to motivate the team including the coaching staff.

Again hats off to Coker and the UTSA team they taught NT a hard lesson Saturday.

It's almost as if the team looked at this game the same way as many in our fanbase did. I guess there is no such thing as a guaranteed victory (ask the Florida Gators). Hopefully the team and some of our more notorious s**t talkers learned a lesson that the games aren't played on paper.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of play calling... How can Mac and Chico explain why Brelan (arguably the best player on the field) has 3 touches on offense all game (1 rush and 2 passes)?

Anything less than 10 touches per game for Brelan is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how much the defense might focus on Brelan - a good OC will figure out how to get the ball into the hands of the best player on the field.

THIS is what we were saying in the 3rd Q. I really don't understand this either.

Maybe you could step down from your pedistal, you know, enjoy having fun?

I live in Austin and deal with condescending UT a-holes on a daily basis. I remember our game at Ford Stadium against SMU and what a bunch of d-bags they were (especially the talk on mylittleponyfans.com). I thought we were a fanbase that wished the other teams good luck and didn't belittle them or their university. I guess we can only be humble when we are getting are asses whipped year in and year out.

• Upvote 5

And THIS is why, right before the half with us leading 24 to whatever against the MUTS, I started booing the offense for going into "play not to lose" mode. The MUTS had put a very good running QB out there who was on the verge of getting his team fired up and back into the game and we were playing "Dickey Ball" with a whole half left to play. And Mac does the same damn thing every game. DAMMIT THAT WAS /IS FRUSTRATING.

Edited by SilverEagle

I had really hoped the team learned not to take anyone for granted after Tulane. Hopefully NOW they have learned their lesson.

The team did not take UTSA lightly. I thought I read where a few players tweeted that they did not see how this team had only 5 wins after watching film.

I asked someone on the staff last week about UTSA and I expected him to say, it would be an easy win. He was honest and said they do some things that gives us trouble from a defensive standpoint. I knew exactly what he meant. It was a bad matchup and we got beat.

With all the success we have this year, this coaching staff is still coaching around weaknesses.

I wish we would have be bold enough to try more things, but im sure they do not want to expose more weaknesses and at the end, we were still in position to steal the game.

• Upvote 3

Yes, that has pretty much been the status quo all season. Sometimes the conservatism works and sometimes it doesn't. It definitely didn't work against Tulane or SA. DT may make some mistakes, but I hope he (and the offense) gets unshackled a bit in the final two games. How many games has it been since we've even attempted any trickery? Sometimes I could swear that I'm seeing DD and his soft drink sidekick standing over on our sideline.

Edited by foutsrouts

For the record on 1st down we passed 17 times and ran 15 times. On 1st down we passed 1 more time than ran in each half.

Over all we passed 46 times and ran 28 times.

We just got beat by a team that seemed intent on making a statement.

Give them some credit as they held Tulane to 7 points the game before us.

We just need to let it go, regroup, and beat Tulsa.

Let's get to 8 wins.

• Upvote 2