Despite loss, seniors still leave ‘a great legacy’

Harry

Derek Thompson and Zach Orr trudged in to a meeting room and plopped down behind a microphone for the final time at Apogee Stadium on Saturday with looks of disappointment etched on their faces.

This was supposed to be their last hurrah, a time when Thompson, Orr and the rest of North Texas’ seniors could talk about one more good time in careers that are ending in a way they always hoped.

UNT is all but assured of heading to a bowl for the first time since 2004, despite a 21-13 loss to Texas-San Antonio, largely because of those seniors.

Those players clung to the reality that there is still something out there for them in the postseason after falling short of their goal of going 6-0 at home for only the second time in school history and seeing their shot of winning the Conference USA West Division title go up in smoke.

“We wanted to be a part of history and finish 6-0 at home and came up short,” UNT head coach Dan McCarney said. “My respect for the seniors does not change. They have done some things amazingly well and helped turn this program around. They leave a great legacy.”

UNT’s seniors arrived during arguably the darkest era in the history of the program, when two- and three-win seasons were the norm and the Mean Green was the laughing stock of Texas college football.

Those times are over now.

read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131124-brett-vito-despite-loss-seniors-still-leave-a-great-legacy.ece

"McCarney said he was so impressed with the UTSA senior that he hunted him down after the game to compliment him on a great performance that included 310 total yards. Soza threw for 274 yards, and perhaps more importantly, rushed for 36 yards and two touchdowns on runs of 2 and 10 yards."

I hope he's so impressed with Soza, that he finds someone to profile the guy (and Kolton Browning while he's at it) and uses the profile to search for future QB's, instead of the very overrated "star" system.

• Upvote 1

I hope he's so impressed with Soza, that he finds someone to profile the guy (and Kolton Browning while he's at it) and uses the profile to search for future QB's, instead of the very overrated "star" system.

Of course McCarney hopes to find a leader/high intangibles.

If people could find those intangibles, I'm sure there would be a system for it.

Don't forget that this is primarily a Dodge class. I may be totally alone but I am not convinced that McCarney recruits are overall as good as this group. No doubt, McCarney developed this talent, but I am concerned there are not more underclassmen significantly contributing to this season.

I'm sorry but this argument doesn't make sense. They are players who Dodge signed, but they would not have developed the way they have without McCarney. I have complete faith in DMac's ability to develop players, especially under the radar guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry but this argument doesn't make sense. They are players who Dodge signed, but they would not have developed the way they have without McCarney. I have complete faith in DMac's ability to develop players, especially under the radar guys.

Apparently it doesn't make sense because you didn't read it correctly. He specifically said that Coach Mac was able to develop them. The question is, How are we going to be once all the Dodge recruits are gone?

Don't forget that this is primarily a Dodge class. I may be totally alone but I am not convinced that McCarney recruits are overall as good as this group. No doubt, McCarney developed this talent, but I am concerned there are not more underclassmen significantly contributing to this season.

I also disagree with this statement. The underclassmen that contributed this year include Lemon, Y'Barbo, Kirby, Johnson, Marcus Smith, Kidsy, Harris, Lincoln, Orr, Akunne, Whitfield, Jimmerson, Rollins, Lee, Mason, etc... Mac has added talent, developed it and built depth. I forsee this to continue.

Luckily, these seniors have two chances at redemption. That was not the case for our basketball seniors (White, Thompson, Odufwa, and Shorter) that lost to UALR on the last second 3-pointer in 2010. I get irritated by losses to ridiculous fanbases like UTSA, but let's not pretend that even in year three that they aren't a respectable team. They managed to get a pretty good QB, but hopefully next year Dajon shows them what's up. Anyways, a 9-win season is still possible for this team, so they need to get the fire back under them and go out and grab it.